2005 Facelift Sportivo Clutch Replacement

Hi Guys & Gals,

Well, the Sportivo is probably due for a clutch replacement after over 200K kms.

It's put up with me, 2 learners, my Dad & a few others over the years so it's lasted longer than expected lol :clap:

I've been reading up on here about what I can put into it.

I'm thinking an Exedy HD clutch, but know what other parts I should look at as well.

Probably can't afford a flywheel at the same time sadly, but are there any other parts that may have worn out at the same time?

From what I've read, this is what I've got in mind - please feel free to add any feedback as I'm no expert in cars / gearboxes, bu fix your computer lol :help:

Exedy Sports Tuff TYK 7334HD, Spigot Bearing + Bush, Clutch Alignment tool.
Need to change the rear main seal + machine the flywheel + ARP bolts.

Recondition the synchros (if necessary).

Replace gearbox oil with Nulon 75W-90 gearbox oil & put in some Nulon G70.

Thanks in advance!

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Clutch release bearing.

Be aware, there have been quite a few cases in the past of Exedy clutch disc spring retainers cracking, causing the springs to fall out and the clutch to jam. That being said, I have run one for years and have never had this issue. Just something to keep in mind.

Hi Trent,

Thanks for replying.

Are you saying I should look at getting a new clutch release bearing as well, or just to keep an eye out for it if I go down the Exedy route?

Should I go with an Exedy then, or is there another brand / model that would be better suited?

Also my old man was saying that the Pressure plate & the Carbon thrust bearing might need to be replaced as well - what do you reckon?

If you get a clutch kit, most will have the pressure plate, clutch disc, throwout(clutch release) bearing and an aligning tool.

Brand is personal choice, however that was just an example of a fault that can occur. Other brands may have their own faults. As I said I used one without issue, until I tried to put too much power through it and it slipped.

Carbon thrust bearings haven't been used for years.

Thanks again for your info Trent :-)

My engine is still stock so I doubt it would be putting too much power through it yeah?

Lastly should I be changing the rear main seal + machine the flywheel + replace the ARP bolts?

ARP is a brand of bolts, you will not need them in a stock application.

You should replace the clutch and flywheel bolts with OEM ones, however you can normally get away with using them a couple of times.

The flywheel will need machining, most brake and clutch places will be able to do it, there are also mobile machining businesses.

It would be a good idea to replace the rear main seal whilst everything is apart, it might not leak now, but might in 6 months time if you don't.

By the sounds of it a standard clutch kit would get the job done.

FWD corolla's don't use spigot bearings, if the gearbox isn't crunching gears I wouldn't bother getting the syncro's replaced either. The OEM 2zz clutch assemblies are excellent from Toyota, not ridiculously priced either. The ZZT231 kits have a nicer/stronger damper assembly on the clutch disc than the South African spec ZZE123's we get in Australia.

The exedy plates pop retainer springs out and jam the assembly when they're given a hard time, drive them normally and you don't have a problem. I've got a pile of exedy plates in the shed which have had the springs pop out from corolla's and SW20 MR2's.

On a stock standard car a TYK 7334HD will do the job if you don't drive like a tool. Have put over 100,000km on the same clutch in a turbo 1zz that puts out 140kw+ to the wheels.

FWD corolla's don't use spigot bearings, if the gearbox isn't crunching gears I wouldn't bother getting the syncro's replaced either. The OEM 2zz clutch assemblies are excellent from Toyota, not ridiculously priced either. The ZZT231 kits have a nicer/stronger damper assembly on the clutch disc than the South African spec ZZE123's we get in Australia.

The exedy plates pop retainer springs out and jam the assembly when they're given a hard time, drive them normally and you don't have a problem. I've got a pile of exedy plates in the shed which have had the springs pop out from corolla's and SW20 MR2's.

On a stock standard car a TYK 7334HD will do the job if you don't drive like a tool. Have put over 100,000km on the same clutch in a turbo 1zz that puts out 140kw+ to the wheels.

Thanks CHA54.

Where can I locate a ZZT231 kit - still from Toyota Australia Spare Parts?

I might go down that route instead of the Exedy then...

Yep, straight from Toyota. The majority of spare parts guys can't deal with requests for parts that aren't from the vin/frame of your own. I'd grab a frame number from a manual celica and get them to look up the part from that, eg ZZT231R-BLFGFQ for a 2004 manual 2zz celica.

• 4 months later...

Keen to possibly upgrade my clutch too; has anyone come across Xtreme HD clutches (from clutch industries im pretty sure); seem to be similar to exedy HD and can get them cheap via work so considering getting one! (Part R1148NHD)

Edited by AsankaK