AE93 Chapman Struts improvements

Inviting advice on improving suspension handling on my 91 model GTi please.

I'm thinking of taking the car to Selby's & getting advice on handling improvements, yet I realize the forum members have been there & done that specific to the AE93.

BTW, I'm referring the car as AE93 while the plate actually says AE92, yet it is a genuine GTi. I have read some SX & GTi's are AE92 but want to know from you blokes 'in the know'. 'Ll make a separate post on this topic.

• 2 weeks later...

King Springs low and decent shocks. Perhaps larger rear swaybar too of the likes of the common Whiteline or the Ultra Racing. That's all I did on my SX for the occasional spirited driving.

If you really want to spend more than the car is worth, go all out on replacing all the bushes with polyurethane, camber bolts or just get coil-overs...

Considering it's a 23 year old car now, probably not worth spending too much on it.

MUCH APPRECIATED GUYS - THANKS.

I booked the car into Selby's before i got the Peders recommendation and they are going throughfor bushes it right now & wheel alignment to start with.

It needed a rego check anyhow.

Car gets its first event Sunday week, then SuperSprint later in the month. I'll get the feel of it and come back to the posts then.

Again - thanks...

Wayne

If you're considering coilovers, then look at MRP - Barry does some of the best 82/92/101 Corolla suspension gear out there for the price (and plenty of other good stuff too)

I used to have a Holden nova. Carny auto .

I rebuilt and Fitted a 4age red top with blue top cams and messed around with the sensors So it kept on giving it a heap of fuel. I kept on adding timing until it didn't ping at idle. It had a. 20v c52 limo diff box from a black top which I managed to get my hands on whilst working at a import shop.

New superpro bushes all around and up rated sway bars front and rear will make it

Into a new car to drive, I used to run 3deg neg camber on my Corolla, and I still used to chew the outer edges of the tyres around. It was super quick thru the corners and went thru tyres and brakes about every 6 months.

I ran ae101 coil overs in the front and Kyb and jumbo springs (Liverpool) on the rear. 1.5" lowered all round to keep normal look.

Where is your location and what's your driving style why are you wanting to upgrade?

If your smashing corners 247 I'd stay away from pedders and get coil overs so they can be rebuild at a fraction of the cost.

Drop me a pm For further info.

Thanks Matt

Couldn’t find the PM option and following Post Options I lost the draft so here goes again…

Firstly,everything is standard and by shifting the bolts I now have 1 degree negative on
all 4.

In competition yesterday (on 14” Advans) under hard braking then a tight turn I was
consistently lunging forward & lifting the inside rear wheel (like Minis
do) – scary feeling!

Talking this morning with a mate who races a rear wheel drive car he thought this occurred from
the suspension being too stiff as he is wheel spinning out of tight turns on South
Circuit (no LSD).

I’m unsure which suspension element to improve is best… I’m liking the idea of AE101 coil
overs assuming a heavier car and hence heavier springs(?)

I don’t want to lower the car, I fitted up a second set of wheels with 205/55/R16 and under
load was just scraping the tyres on the guards.
I want to maintain height but may have to go to a lower profile after
sorting the suspension.

As to uprated sway bars over the standard on the car I wonder if it wouldn’t accentuate
the lifting of the rear – your thought appreciated.

Thanks Wayne