Android versus WinCE head units

michaelcocks

Hi Guys

Newbie here...

Just bought a 2007 Prodigy as a shared car with myself and my son. It's our 6th Toyota - They just seem to be totally reliable cars...In the current stable we have a Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 2016, (wife's car) and I have a Toyota Aurion Presara 2012 (going up for sale as the shared Prodigy is replacing it) ...My son also has a 1989 MR2 - which is really just for occasional driving pleasure (my wife doesn't like him driving it as it's got no safety features at all, hopefully he use the Prodigy as a daily driver and the MR2 for track days only (yep it's had lot's of work done....) 

We are thinking about upgrading to bluetooth (I need this on a daily basis) as the car does seem to have it (unless I am missing something) -although very strangely there is a bluetooth icon on the standard head unit, but it never lights up - I can see it... I looked at the external bluetooth units but the for 1$100 just to get Bluetooth and nothing else seems a bit of a waste when you can get a head unit with GPS, Bluetooth, reverse camera, A2DP, et etc for ~250-300. Then of course theres the Andoid units which seem to be around $500

I saw lots of discussion around the Android units and in particular the Eonon. What has been the long term experiences..

What about the guys running the cheaper WinCE - Any long term comments.

I have read most of the excitement that was around when these first released, but was more interested in the long term prognosis on these?

Many thanks in advance 

Michael

Welcome ..wow great life history with our wonderful Toy's...I found the main issue with our Presara's standard head unit was bluetooth and lack of any Aux Plug.. so went out got a nice Clarion head unit installed and never had a problem since..LONG road trips & around local had awesome performance plus as you stated you get Rev camera Nav Etc..worth thinking about going quality..a lot on here did go with the available upgrades so I am sure many can advise on how there head units are going..I hope you enjoy your Prodigy

KAA

I've had both  - An Erisin WinCE 8" headunit and an Eonon Android 8" headunit. On the outside they look very much the same, but performance-wise they're completely different. The WinCE unit was buggy and very restrictive in terms of customization. With the Android unit it's essentially like having a tablet in your dashboard, with built-in WiFi etc. You can download a huge variety of apps from the Google Play Store and customize every inch of it. The WinCE was good for basic functionality, but it would freeze occasionally, lag up and generally was just pretty boring all round. I'd definitely recommend splashing out a bit more and getting the Android operating system.