2010 Toyota Camry - Upgrades/Mods/Improvements

CharlesByrom21

Well I am obviously going overboard with this again, in the end the car is great for what it is and there is no worthwhile performance increase with any mods. I'm just going to focus on handling (suspension, brakes) and looks here and there when it comes to it. As well as a better head unit and stereo system. I just need to find a spoiler like the one pictured and I'll leave it at that. 

2010_toyota_aurion_range_press_photos_03-4bde13e81a3e6-1200x800.jpg

Edited by CharlesByrom21

7 hours ago, CharlesByrom21 said:

there is no worthwhile performance increase with any mods.

There are, but you will need to cough up large amounts of money to make it happen.

• Like 2

For a performance upgrade, I moved to the Aurion. Absolutely brilliant [responsive and fast] and safer for overtaking on the open highway compared to my 1998 Camry. I had previously thought about turbocharging but have a bias for naturally aspirated engines so was on the lookout for a V6 Camry when my 2006 Aurion came available. Obvious drawback is the increased registration costs but worth it to me.

I have these slotted rotors on my eBay Watchlist [for future consideration]

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/401307561586?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/132157660155?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and I have recently bought these items but yet to fit them

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272635617741?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182360456663?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

There are, but you will need to cough up large amounts of money to make it happen.

Very true, for the 10+ grand it would cost to add a turbocharger or supercharger, I might as well have sold the Camry and bought something with more performance. At least I can make her handle smoother and look better.

37 minutes ago, CharlesByrom21 said:

Very true, for the 10+ grand it would cost to add a turbocharger or supercharger, I might as well have sold the Camry and bought something with more performance. At least I can make her handle smoother and look better.

I have a very different view on things. I am willing and have spent far more that that on mine. It's up to the individual.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

I have a very different view on things. I am willing and have spent far more that that on mine. It's up to the individual.

This is why the aftermarket industry is a huge business & cars conducive to swap & change make the most $$. It's fun upgrading & swapping out parts but just as @trentmyer23 has mentioned the mod world comes at a price ;)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CharlesByrom21 said:

where to find a swap out grille like the one above locally?

Contact Bodykits Kingdom at Coopers Plains.

3 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Those discs look good,

eBay listing also reads well enough to attract customers. Have not heard of VMAX brand and did a Google search but no worthwhile results.

Warranty is limited to normal street use etc. I am sure that I have used that eBay seller before but it is a gamble. Equivalent slotted DBA rotors cost approx. $600 on eBay. May be worth a chance after contacting the seller to enquire about number of returns or warranty claims.

4 hours ago, CharlesByrom21 said:

At least I can make her handle smoother

Exactly why I upgraded the suspension and fitted a front strut bar on my 1998 Camry.

• Like 1

I'm changing my mind again, hahah, that looks amazing. I agree with your view, for me it just depends on whether I'm willing to cough up that much money. I actually might do it, I just need to get the money first. Let's say I did do it, what do you reckon? A Supercharger or Turbocharger? Yeah I'll definitely contact Bodykits Kingdom, thanks man.

Edited by CharlesByrom21

35 minutes ago, CharlesByrom21 said:

Let's say I did do it, what do you reckon? A Supercharger or Turbocharger? 

I prefer turbo personally. It depends on what you want to achieve and what you can afford.

I have OCD, so things cost me more. The plus is that I do my own labour.

The 2AZ has supercharger and turbo kits available, they won't have everything though.

• Like 1

@trentmeyer23  Right ! That's a big ***** turbocharger hooked up to what looks like a 3S-GE - correct ? Ceramic coating, custom radiator, re-built/worked engine ? Don't tell me you also custom fabricated a 4WD setup too cos it would badly need one if not. LSD ? Not gone through all of your thread build but I will :)

Personally I would've done that sort of work on something like a Celica - maybe ST162 - ST204 & perhaps looked to making it all-paw grip. The real bonus appears you done it yourself & saved **** loads in the process as well as knowing it's done right from the outset. Congratulations, awesome work. Stealthy Camry that, a wolf in sheep's clothing for sure.

• Like 2

Well done, that's awesome, great work. I wish I was that good and could trust myself to do it. It would save so much money, a turbocharger conversion will cost and set me back between 12 to 14 grand to get installed at Brisbane Tuning and Turbo. The supercharger cost basically the same.

Edited by CharlesByrom21

1 hour ago, ZZT86 said:

@trentmeyer23  Right ! That's a big ***** turbocharger hooked up to what looks like a 3S-GE - correct ? Ceramic coating, custom radiator, re-built/worked engine ? Don't tell me you also custom fabricated a 4WD setup too cos it would badly need one if not. LSD ? Not gone through all of your thread build but I will :)

Personally I would've done that sort of work on something like a Celica - maybe ST162 - ST204 & perhaps looked to making it all-paw grip. The real bonus appears you done it yourself & saved **** loads in the process as well as knowing it's done right from the outset. Congratulations, awesome work. Stealthy Camry that, a wolf in sheep's clothing for sure.

I'll update that thread in the next few weeks. No logic required for this build. Anyway, I leave this thread for CharlesByrom21's questions. This pic was more of a motivator/point prover.

14 minutes ago, CharlesByrom21 said:

Brisbane Tuning and Turbo.

If they were the last tuner in the country, they would not be allowed within 100m of my car. Money would be far better spent at Capalaba Motor Repairs. I'm not affiliated with them, just an advocate for honest quality work. I would also avoid GT Auto garage.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Capalaba Motor Repairs. I'm not affiliated with them, just an advocate for honest quality work.

Good to know a personal recommendation before the unexpected and unwanted happens.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CharlesByrom21 said:

Oh really? Why would you avoid those two shops and why would you recommend them? Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into them, they're closer as well which helps. 

BT&T - Ignored a tacho and revved a car I did a heap of work on 1000rpm above redline, causing spun bearings.

GT - Took thousands for a custom build from a friend and everything(everything) had to be fixed by CMR. These were found inside the sump.received_10154252315968383.thumb.jpeg.98fd8cfaa292a20858fa0894cd6ad547.jpeg

• Like 1

This is a question of pure curiosity, is it possible to change and upgrade my instrument cluster? If so, any ideas on where to buy a "fancy" or better one? Sorry guys for being a pain, hahah.

Edited by CharlesByrom21

2 hours ago, CharlesByrom21 said:

change and upgrade my instrument cluster

You could look at instrument clusters from the Aurion GSV40 series [up to 2012] at wreckers for a different appearance. They should easily fit but don't know for certain.

http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details/2010-toyota-aurion-at-x-auto-my10/SPOT-ITM-280114

• Like 1