Replacing Aurion wipers

tranthe

26 minutes ago, Arian10Daddy said:

My 2 cents of experience with Tridon wiper blade refills.

I think the ones you got are made in China. What exactly did you buy? Give us a link from SCA...

Highly important to replace old/worn wiper blades. On a previous interstate trip encountered heavy afternoon rain and had to slow down from 100kph to about 80kph much to disgust of locals behind me who eventually overtook. Replaced wiper blades a few days later and no problems dealing with heavy rain at 100kph.

Blades now making noise although a bit better after giving them a clean wipe down. Next step was to either give them some silicone spray or replace.

Procrastinated and finally bought this item on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Windscreen-Wiper-Blades-Suit-TOYOTA-Aurion-OEM-Style-Hybrid-Aero-10-06-12-12/222222988997?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I was also considering this item but decided to stay with the Aurion OEM style

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Windscreen-Wiper-Blades-Suit-TOYOTA-Camry-2006-2012-XV40R-Aero-Design-PAIR-Braum/222331844415?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I have been "re surfacing" my blades.

Remove them and get a cloth soaked in general purpose thinners, and run the blades over the cloth a few times and it will renew the wiping edge.

Put them back on and they wipe just like a new blade.

Replace when they start cracking.

No need for silicon spray or any other sprays. Just makes it messy.

My 2 cents.

• 2 years later...

For a while the wiper blade has been smearing so I thought that it was overdue to clean/replace the wiper blades. I removed the wiper arms and then the wiper blade assembly itself. Upon closer inspection of some rust marks around the U hook connection, I discovered that the underlying metal of the hybrid blade assembly was significantly rusted.

After looking at the followings URLs, I will be changing over to the frameless aero style. 

https://www.wipertech.com.au/blog/which-wiper-blades-are-the-best?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvZ380oOC6gIVxRwrCh04iAnyEAAYASAAEgLWTvD_BwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jQs3OI6Gvo

10 minutes ago, campbeam said:

For a while the wiper blade has been smearing so I thought that it was overdue to clean/replace the wiper blades. I removed the wiper arms and then the wiper blade assembly itself. Upon closer inspection of some rust marks around the U hook connection, I discovered that the underlying metal of the hybrid blade assembly was significantly rusted.

After looking at the followings URLs, I will be changing over to the frameless aero style. 

https://www.wipertech.com.au/blog/which-wiper-blades-are-the-best?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvZ380oOC6gIVxRwrCh04iAnyEAAYASAAEgLWTvD_BwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jQs3OI6Gvo

I also noted some surface rust on the hook sections. Interesting link too. My Colorado has the newer beam style blades and they seem to function very well.

I might try these on the Aurion too when the time comes. Thanks for the link Ash.

• 1 month later...

I washed my Aurion yesterday and noticed the driver's side wiper was loose and upon closer inspection noticed that the clip that locks the arm was actually broken. I'll be damned how this happened. Luckily I noticed this and not when wifey was driving and having it fly off !

Luckily for me I still have the older Orginal wipers and was able to swap this out temporarily.

I'm looking to convert to the newer "blade" style wipers and was looking at these:

https://www.wipertech.com.au/wiper-blades/toyota/aurion/xv50-2012-2017

Not a bad price for the pair I think.

Had a bit of time to research wiper blades and I decided to go with the Trico Force Beam Blade 26" & 18". A bit pricey but if they serve their intended purpose well then I'm happy with that.

Just for comparison sake I also bought a much cheaper brand of the same type to compare. I might fit those to my Dad's car, the same time I fit mine and see how they both fair.

Both are being express posted as we speak.

That's wipers sorted.. Onto the next thing now lol..

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

• Like 1

I have received both sets of wipers and out of necessity I had to replace the wipers on my Aurion as mentioned earlier finding the locking tab broken on the longer arm. This meant putting the old one back on temporarily and it wasn't the best of condition but it had to do.

I was going to put one set of beams on my Dad's car but he's driven off to Queensland with Mum for 3 weeks so that's not going to happen anymore. I decided to put the cheap set on to test first and the difference was immediate. The new beam blades are made of a special rubber/silicon formulation which enable the blade to glide over the glass effectively and quietly. I am impressed and this is a no name el cheapo set mind you. So it will be interesting to see how long these guys last.

I'll just keep the more expensive trico set for the next change and monitor these for a while.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOOK-Aero-Wiper-Blades-Pair-of-26inch-650mm-18inch-450mm/252241398551?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

If anyone is interested.

20200728_170103.jpg

20200728_170116.jpg

20200728_170139.jpg

20200728_170159.jpg

20200728_170208.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been persevering with my new beam wiper blades for some weeks now. On the 40 series, wiper blades are a 24" and 20" combination. My bargain priced eBay ones were smearing slightly from the beginning. I then thoroughly cleaned the windscreen hoping that there would be an improvement. Unfortunately, the smearing has got worse. To find the cause, I was thinking of changing the rubber wiper blades on the beam type wiper and also transferring the beam wiper rubber blades onto the original hybrid type wiper.

For the upcoming unplanned impromptu road trip, I have reverted back to the original hybrid wipers.  Something that I will be keen to get sorted out before the next road trip or lots of rainy days. 

13 hours ago, campbeam said:

I have been persevering with my new beam wiper blades for some weeks now. On the 40 series, wiper blades are a 24" and 20" combination. My bargain priced eBay ones were smearing slightly from the beginning. I then thoroughly cleaned the windscreen hoping that there would be an improvement. Unfortunately, the smearing has got worse. To find the cause, I was thinking of changing the rubber wiper blades on the beam type wiper and also transferring the beam wiper rubber blades onto the original hybrid type wiper.

For the upcoming unplanned impromptu road trip, I have reverted back to the original hybrid wipers.  Something that I will be keen to get sorted out before the next road trip or lots of rainy days. 

I'm surprised to hear that actually Ash. Which beams did you buy ? 

Ther cheap set I purchased are as good as the more expensive beams around. So far so good. Some stuff coming out of China can be garbage and sometimes their ok. Depends on who's making it I guess.

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Which beams did you buy ?

I bought 2 lots of the cheapest ones on eBay mainly because there was little to none differentiation in the descriptions for the various non-branded beam wipers. Bit of a gamble which I am prepared to write off to experience. I have now got a few new toys to pull apart to see how they should work. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BrandNew-Windscreen-Wiper-Blades-for-TOYOTA-AURION-GSV40-GSV5-2006-2015-20-24/202730557432?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&shqty=2&isGTR=1#shId 

With the difference of our experiences, it confirms that you can be better off paying a bit more initially.

• Like 1