What kind of engine oils are you guys using? Types, brands and grades?

PengNZ

I bought a 2014 aurion atx recently and am wondering if i should use fully synthetic engine oil like Castrol edge 5w-30 sn in the next service. Before this car, I owned a bmw e90 320i. That's also a good car but just cost too much time to repair. I always treated Castrol edge 5w-40 sn for the old bmw, so want this aurion to be feed with that too. Wondering what kind of engine oils are you guys using and what kind of engine oil the dealers' service departments is using?

I use oils with the latest oil classification of SN or GF-5. They can be mineral, semi-synthetic or full synthetic.

I do a lot of short distance suburban driving so oil sludge is my main concern. Therefore, I do frequent oil changes at 3-5000 km intervals.

I will be using a full synthetic oil at next oil change ready for an interstate trip approx, 4000 kms in a week.

9 hours ago, PengNZ said:

I bought a 2014 aurion atx recently and am wondering if i should use fully synthetic engine oil like Castrol edge 5w-30 sn in the next service. Before this car, I owned a bmw e90 320i. That's also a good car but just cost too much time to repair. I always treated Castrol edge 5w-40 sn for the old bmw, so want this aurion to be feed with that too. Wondering what kind of engine oils are you guys using and what kind of engine oil the dealers' service departments is using?

Preferably a fully synthetic oil if you don't want the potential for sludge, AND shorter oil change intervals than the service book calls for. I do mine no later than 10k. Always 10k or less. I have zero sludge issues. Even after 10k, the used oil is still golden, slightly darker of course.

As for Castrol, I only use the Castrol Edge 5w-40 in my E36 M3, nothing else. The Castrol is a little overkill, but if you don't mind paying extra, that's up to you. Remember that the Castrol product doesn't come in 6lt. The bastards make you buy 2 x 5lt so you can have your 6lt. And The Castrol rarely go on sale. 

My Aurion gets by very well with the Nulon 5w-30 fully synthetic. They go on special occasionally at Super S**t Auto. All you need is one 6lt container and it will fill it to the top mark on the dipstick. The book says 6.1lt. I wouldn't pay the extra 20 odd bucks for the extra 100mm.

The regular price is around $67 for a 6lt. When on special they can be as cheap as $47 !  I buy 3 at least.

I use a full synthetic 5w-30 and oil flush every service have found using a 10w-30 its to thick for the vvt and wil constantly rattle at start up for 30 seconds that is why i use a oil flush every time and it stops it between services. Oh and nothing but 5w 30 full synthetic

5w-30 Castrol, I stock up only when it comes around $30 or less. Last time I paid $50 for 10L. For my next oil hunt I will be looking out for 5w-30, 6 litre. However 6 litre  does not go on sale often and even if it is on sale the discount is very small. 

Just now, krigeroz said:

5w-30 Castrol, I stock up only when it comes around $30 or less. Last time I paid $50 for 10L. For my next oil hunt I will be looking out for 5w-30, 6 litre. However 6 litre  does not go on sale often and even if it is on sale the discount is very small. 

Do us a favour Krig. Next time it comes on special can you let us know ?