A friend wants to buy a Hyundai i30, but I notice the Yaris is similarly priced

thisguy

My friend is about 1.8 meters tall. Would the current model Yaris be about the same size as an i30, or would it be smaller? He’s currently got a Hyundai Getz, so he’s used to small cars.

I could suggest he compare the two but it’s really up to him. 

He wants to buy an automatic. I don’t know how that would affect each choice of car.

Edited by thisguy

The i30 is Corolla-sized, but with small cars these days you can often still get plenty of room in smaller models due to the upright seating position.  I'm just under 1.9m and have driven both i30s and a Yaris (technically was a Vios overseas) and fitted reasonably comfortably in both, but space is about so much more than just driver's leg/kneeroom.

TLDR; really need to go car-shopping and compare one after the other..

Thanks Hiro. I got confused about the size comparison.

I might just get my friend a brochure on the Yaris but ultimately I’ll have to let it go and respect his decision.

Edited by thisguy

9 hours ago, thisguy said:

ultimately I’ll have to let it go and respect his decision.

Not exactly a financially smart move to buy a new car. Only worthwhile, in my opinion if you are going to be keeping the vehicle long term i.e. 10+years.

Probably best to mention Toyota's proven reliability and resale value particularly the Toyota Corolla.

Suggest that he considers test driving some Toyota models and benchmark/compares them against his initially proposed Hyundai i30. Maybe he changes his mind or it just confirms his choice.

18 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Not exactly a financially smart move to buy a new car. Only worthwhile, in my opinion if you are going to be keeping the vehicle long term i.e. 10+years.

Both my friend and I are in our mid 50s, so “long term” is a definite possibility.

18 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Probably best to mention Toyota's proven reliability and resale value particularly the Toyota Corolla.

Suggest that he considers test driving some Toyota models and benchmark/compares them against his initially proposed Hyundai i30. Maybe he changes his mind or it just confirms his choice.

I’ll put that to him and see what he thinks.

Thanks.