Aircon doesn't work on low setting

xr600r

Hi. The air/con compressor will not run unless the fan is running. It used to be that on the low setting the fan power is lowered by a simple coil of resistance wire in series with the motor circuit on that setting.  A very crude but effective set-up is through that coil.  For 'ventilation', it is on a small 'plate' mounted behind, inside, the drivers compartment fire-wall. Pretty hard to find and get to to remove it. The coil burns out and has to be replaced. Pretty much like the old-fashioned electric radiator element.. One Toyota gent said to find it you have to trace that particular wire from the fan speed switch. Crude, yes all the way..Good luck.

Edited by OldMech
unctuation error corrected.

5 hours ago, OldMech said:

it is on a small 'plate' mounted behind, inside, the drivers compartment fire-wall.

After post by OldMech, I located the relevant part on eBay. Handy to know what you are looking for.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-CAMRY-FAN-SPEED-RESISTOR-2004/263259003666?hash=item3d4b759b12:g:BIcAAOSwAJFZ3vVs:rk:8:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RY1865-TOYOTA-HEATER-BLOWER-FAN-MOTOR-RESISTOR-499300-2121/173642451153?hash=item286de588d1:g:~hkAAOSwZ3BaXKUl:rk:13:pf:0#shpCntId

5 hours ago, OldMech said:

For 'ventilation', it is on a small 'plate' mounted behind, inside, the drivers compartment fire-wall. Pretty hard to find and get to to remove it.

On a 1995 Nissan Pulsar, the equivalent part is located behind the glovebox.

Good news that you chased them up. Surprisingly unsophisticated. But effective - as long as they last. Saves a special winding in the motor. I had a spare sitting on my kitchen windowsill for a coupe of years waiting for it to be needed. The Camry was stolen before I got to use it! Interesting that it's used by other brands. Probabaly pretty common. Good luck and enjoy the result after the fitting job. Cheers. Laurie,Edward ex RAAF Aircraft Radtech and Elect Tech. Join me on Facebook...🙂

I think you will have a bit of trouble finding it. You won't see it itself. Just the back of its mounting small panel as part of the cabin front firewall. Anything under the dashboard is difficult. That's why I gave away servicing car radios in my service business.. NOTE. We are talking of the fan speed low. If it is too cold they advise to open the heater control lever a bit. I think that is crazy but it's all you can do. Good luck