Exhaust System

Hey guys

just wanted to ask something real quick

i want to get a new exhaust system for my 04 sportivo. looking for something that doesnt sound raspy or like your typical fart can. also, i would REALLY love to get any pops and bangs out of the car but i don't know where to start, but i'm assuming that an exhaust is a good way to get those crackling noises when you decelerate or rev the car hahaha. so any tips on that would be amazing too 🙂 

so if yous can maybe give me any options for a good sounding exhaust and ways to make the car crackle/pop, that would be highly appreciated!

thanks heaps! 

Edited by justablacksportivo

Perhaps the attached document will be of interest to you. Personally, I am more into "stealth" mode these days; keep it ultra quiet and let the exhaust flow freely when you want that performance and acceleration. Remember quiet car, less police attention, maybe fewer tickets and less trips for machinery inspections to "prove" the exhaust is within the acceptable decibel range.

Exhaust Back Pressure.doc

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, justablacksportivo said:

Hey guys

just wanted to ask something real quick

i want to get a new exhaust system for my 04 sportivo. looking for something that doesnt sound raspy or like your typical fart can. also, i would REALLY love to get any pops and bangs out of the car but i don't know where to start, but i'm assuming that an exhaust is a good way to get those crackling noises when you decelerate or rev the car hahaha. so any tips on that would be amazing too 🙂 

so if yous can maybe give me any options for a good sounding exhaust and ways to make the car crackle/pop, that would be highly appreciated!

thanks heaps! 

Depending how many mods you plan on doing, you have to decide what size piping and what material to use. Most go for 2.5" piping with mild steel, which does reduce rasp somewhat compared to stainless but will have a shorter life span compared to stainless. There are gains to be had with 2.25" exhausts but it's not too much bigger than stock, the main advantage would be the additional flow without restrictions added. I run 2.5" mild press bent, which does cause some restriction but I haven't reached the limits of needing mandrel bent as of yet.

Generally moving to high flow cat can get some occasional pops, I have previously ran stock ported headers now on custom 4-1s headers and they still pop every no and than. So look into getting a high flow cat if you have the funds. I have seen some with stock cats also pop occasionally as they do flow reasonably well for a standard item. 

You will also need to consider the muffler as this completes the sound and will help greatly with flow.

Generally the pops are just un-burnt fuel that gets ignited in the exhaust system. I recall even my completely stock exhaust system did it from time to time.

EDIT: I completely forgot to mention resonators/hot dog mufflers. I run 2 and this reduces the rasp a fair bit. A budget method many user with 2.5" piping is the VE commodore V6 resonator, as it's 2.5" inside I believe, is cheap and is quite long too. Resonators can reduce the rasp greatly depending on how big, the type and how many you use.

Edited by Squalled
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Squalled said:

Depending how many mods you plan on doing, you have to decide what size piping and what material to use. Most go for 2.5" piping with mild steel, which does reduce rasp somewhat compared to stainless but will have a shorter life span compared to stainless. There are gains to be had with 2.25" exhausts but it's not too much bigger than stock, the main advantage would be the additional flow without restrictions added. I run 2.5" mild press bent, which does cause some restriction but I haven't reached the limits of needing mandrel bent as of yet.

Generally moving to high flow cat can get some occasional pops, I have previously ran stock ported headers now on custom 4-1s headers and they still pop every no and than. So look into getting a high flow cat if you have the funds. I have seen some with stock cats also pop occasionally as they do flow reasonably well for a standard item. 

You will also need to consider the muffler as this completes the sound and will help greatly with flow.

Generally the pops are just un-burnt fuel that gets ignited in the exhaust system. I recall even my completely stock exhaust system did it from time to time.

squalled, i swear to god, you've come to the rescue on every single topic i've posted so far 😂thanks so much, bro 

EDIT: i have NEVER managed to get the stock exhaust to pop whatsoever lmao. its super quiet for me hahaha

Edited by justablacksportivo

29 minutes ago, justablacksportivo said:

squalled, i swear to god, you've come to the rescue on every single topic i've posted so far 😂thanks so much, bro 

EDIT: i have NEVER managed to get the stock exhaust to pop whatsoever lmao. its super quiet for me hahaha

Anytime my friend. No point in holding back info when someone needs it. I only don't reply to a thread if I don't have relevant info 😂😂

• Like 2

id go 2.5" with no cat, and for your muffler - to reduce rasp, make sure your muffler has bends inside rather than a straight through muffler, maybe even get a bee-r revlimiter ? haha

setup i have atm is 2.5" stainless steel with mandrel bends, 100cel cat and a (sized as close to oem) straight through muffler (also have intake and headers) i get some crackles if i let off around 3000rpm and some pops sometimes when i shift 😛

- its droney sitting on 2900 on the fwy, i guess a resonator would fix it

-its raspy because of the straight through muffler choice

• Thanks 1