Aurion timing chain problem?

riftime

1 hour ago, ZZT86 said:

My mate mechanic always said these 3.5L cars are an absolute prick to do major work on, I'm banking on never having to do such. I'm guessing the worst maintenance item would be those rear spark plugs.

I prefer to over-maintain or overservice my Aurion to avoid having to pay for any major work. Sold my Honda Prelude rather than replace the timing belt which would have involved removing the engine.

Actually replacing the rear spark plugs is not so bad after you have done it the first time. More time consuming to remove the wiper motor etc [allow a few hours] so you can gain access and working room to replace both the spark plugs and coils. Replacing the alternator is also a joyous occasion. Also allow a few extra hours to remove the radiator fans etc for access and working room. Excellent reasons why you buy quality replacement parts.

On the Yaris, alternator replacement looks like a simple bolt off bolt on job, easily done within 15 minutes.

So far, my absolute worst maintenance/repair experience has been replacing the rear VVTi oil line which has a rubber hose mid-section on the earlier 40 series Aurions. I reckon that it took me more than a year to "recover" from that traumatic experience to even consider doing it again. Just as well, I love my Aurion and my standby project Aurion already has the full metal oil line.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, campbeam said:

Actually replacing the rear spark plugs is not so bad after you have done it the first time. More time consuming to remove the wiper motor etc [allow a few hours] so you can gain access and working room to replace both the spark plugs and coils.

Can't wait Ash. Sounds like a whole lot of fun lol.. I'm also glad I never had to do the VVTI oil line too. What was Toyota thinking having a plastic tube handle hot, high pressure oil. Yikes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Can't wait Ash. Sounds like a whole lot of fun lol.. I'm also glad I never had to do the VVTI oil line too. What was Toyota thinking having a plastic tube handle hot, high pressure oil. Yikes.

Great lot of fun. Good opportunity to properly clean and detail the parts that get removed. Maybe more Aerospace 303 protectorant on the plastic bits.

It was rubber hose. Looks like they selected a lower grade so the initial solution was to replace that bit of hose with a higher grade. Final solution was a full metal VVTi oil line. Similar situation with the oil cooler which has rubber hose lines. At least, these hoses are replaced when a leak is detected with a full metal line unit by Toyota Australia. Quite a few threads and posts on this issue. Again, it is another PITA job needing the right tools to make the job possible [so I have read]. 

At least we know that the timing chain is designed to last the lifetime of the engine. Essentially, it is another engine component that needs to be adequately lubricated for wear protection purposes. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, campbeam said:

At least we know that the timing chain is designed to last the lifetime of the engine. Essentially, it is another engine component that needs to be adequately lubricated for wear protection purposes. 

Yep. Do those regular oil changes, use high quality oil and I think we'll never hear of any timing chain issues here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Yep. Do those regular oil changes, use high quality oil and I think we'll never hear of any timing chain issues here.

Following link relates to a US Patent Office Application titled  "Lubricant Compositions For Reducing Timing Chain Stretch"

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2017/0321146.html

It may be useful if you are trying to differentiate between various high quality oils. 

• Thanks 1