Testing Aerospace 303 Protectant and Reduced Tyre Wear

campbeam

12 hours ago, campbeam said:

18 months later and 18k kms, front tyres are now down to the wear bar and need replacement.

This was the set you treated externally only hey Ash ? Do you think it made any difference ?

12 hours ago, campbeam said:

Spent most of the day swapping over a set of mag wheels fitted with as new Continental ContiComfortContact 5 tyres. A number of weeks ago I deflated the tyres, inserted about 100 mls of Aerospace 303 into each tyre then re-inflated them. Today I did the same as well as giving the inside and outside tyre walls a good spray of the 303. 

So this is going to be the test set going forward seeing you have treated them inside and out. It will be a very interesting test for sure. What do you think of the Conti's ?

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

This was the set you treated externally only hey Ash ? Do you think it made any difference ?

So this is going to be the test set going forward seeing you have treated them inside and out. It will be a very interesting test for sure. What do you think of the Conti's ?

Hard to say whether the external treatment of the previous used tyres made any difference. i would put it more down to a tyre dressing treatment. 

i will have to take some tyre depth measurements for these tyres as a starting point. Also will have to make the effort and take the tyre depth measurements on the girlfriend's Yaris. 

Manufacture date for the Continentals is 1516 [15th week of 2016] and were only used for a few weeks in mid 2016. Since then, they have been given a few external treatments using Aerospace 303. A good reason why I gave these tyres the internal treatment apart from the "potential" reduced wear benefit. 

Personally, I am quite skeptical about whether there is going to be a worthwhile cost benefit. However, I do like to be proved wrong [sometimes] so it will be interesting to see the wear difference between the front and rear tyres. I usually rotate the rear tyres to the front when the front tyres are half-worn. 

Conti's got a good test yesterday evening driving in heavy rain with a lightening bonus. Certainly felt very confident in the tyres wet handling and braking performance.  

I will have to refine my use of the digital tyre depth gauge.

Interim measurements are 7.10mm for front tyres and 7.42-7.51mm for rear tyres. Afterwards, I thought that a consistent location would be the 2nd outer groove aligned with the tyre valve for comparative readings.

I will also have to adopt a consistent tyre pressure e.g. 38psi and a monthly check starting from when a wheel alignment is done soon.

• 2 months later...

I located the digital tyre depth gauge yesterday and remember putting it safely into a sealed plastic bag. I did a thorought search for it this afternoon and could not locate it. Good news is that I located a missing set of rear brake pads. 

Anyway, I knew where the tyre pressure gauge was so did a tyre pressure check. Consistent on all tyres still being at 38psi. Last tyre pressure check would have been 2 months ago. I am fairly confident that the tyres were adjusted to 38psi at that time. 

I am thinking that the internal application of the Aerospace 303 may be acting as a sealant. If so, the next planned cold tyre pressure readings in a few months should either assist to confirm or disprove that thought. Perhaps by then I will have relocated that elusive digital tyre depth gauge. 

• Like 1

You will find it, they turn up mate plus maybe the lost socks as well I blame the Martians all the time hiding things I can never find when needed yet they magically turn up when looking for something else. LOL its that or as my lady says maturity creeping in (NOT AGE) LOL

KAA

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...
On 8/5/2020 at 5:21 PM, campbeam said:

I am also thinking that the inner treatment may help with maintaining the tyre pressures.

Another one of my speculative theories has "bit the dust". It would have been many months ago that I deflated the tyres and put at least 100ml of 303 Protectorant inside each tyre. Certainly been a few months since I have checked the tyre pressures previously set at 40 psi. Yesterday, the tyre pressure was 32 psi after refilling the fuel tank so pumped back up to 40psi. Looks like tyre pressure reduces by 1 psi each week.

When we get some warmer weather and some motivation, I will give the tyres another full treatment both exterior and interior and do better record keeping. Then I will retest the tyre pressures after 4 weeks.

Not really expecting any worthwhile results except to confirm that you would be better off saving the $$$ and buy a new tyre.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Still have yet to find that missing tyre depth gauge so time to buy a replacement.

About a fortnight ago, I deflated the tyres on my Aurion and inserted 100ml of Aerospace 303 protectorant into each tyre before re-inflating to 40 psi.

What I have noticed since then is that the ride is not as harsh at 40psi compared to previous times. Hard to measure but I feel that the rolling resistance of the tyres is less.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Final Update for the new Continental ContiComfortContact 5 tyres which have now been replaced. Probably a fingernail thickness above the wear indicators, so just legal.

My record keeping is a bit suspect so fairly confident that the tyres lasted for 36K Kms. One thing is certain that the tyres were NOT going to last forever with Aerospace 303 treatment as per an implied claim in a YouTube video. Most certainly not going to make any claims about reduced tyre wear. 

I did have higher hopes for the tyres on the Yaris but unfortunately the Yaris got written off earlier this year. 

On 7/10/2022 at 4:14 AM, campbeam said:

Another one of my speculative theories has "bit the dust". It would have been many months ago that I deflated the tyres and put at least 100ml of 303 Protectorant inside each tyre. Certainly been a few months since I have checked the tyre pressures previously set at 40 psi. Yesterday, the tyre pressure was 32 psi after refilling the fuel tank so pumped back up to 40psi. Looks like tyre pressure reduces by 1 psi each week.

When we get some warmer weather and some motivation, I will give the tyres another full treatment both exterior and interior and do better record keeping. Then I will retest the tyre pressures after 4 weeks.

Not really expecting any worthwhile results except to confirm that you would be better off saving the $$$ and buy a new tyre.

Replacement is a set of used mag wheels and tyres from the wreckers. The tyres have also been given the Aerospace 303 Treatment both inside and outside more for appearances. Certainly expecting the tyres to last more than 12 months so will be keeping watch for a decent quality brand touring tyres with good wet weather performance.

• Thanks 1

36,000km fair dinkum,  Nankang xr611 235/60 r16 just under 89,000km 38psi from day one, that Aerospace 303 treatment on tyres, reminds me of people who say they get an extra 5kph if they wax the hull of their boat as it repells water, its all hype

Edited by CONROD

43 minutes ago, CONROD said:

36,000km fair dinkum,  Nankang xr611 235/60 r16 just under 89,000km 38psi from day one, that Aerospace 303 treatment on tyres, reminds me of people who say they get an extra 5kph if they wax the hull of their boat as it repells water, its all hype

I could see it potentially improving the life of tyres from a deterioration/dry-rot/UV-damage perspective (like moisturising/conditioning leather), but not actual tread-wear

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1