Multiple Fuse boxes (+ other enquiry)

Hi guys, 

So I recently got my AE92 CS Seca, it is swapped with a silvertop 4AGE. I want to get it registered and there is one thing that is bothering me right now.

There are two fuse boxes, the stock fuse box and the fuse box that presumably came with the sivertop 4AGE from an AE101. 

The car is currently running off of the other fuse box and is not secured in the engine bay.

Should I reroute everything back to the stock fuse box, or should I remove the stock fusebox along with its respective harnesses?

Aside from fusebox issues, I wanted to know whether it is possible to register my AE92 if I had removed my stock air intake manifold and replaced it with velocity stacks (from Manon Racing Products) and used a Pipercross filter box instead? If it depends on which state I live in, I currently reside in WA.

Edited by Lolsia

So this is what my engine bay currently looks like, I really would like to try using the stock fusebox as I had seen a similar ae92 seca which had a blacktop swap with the stock ae92 fusebox. 

image0.jpg

Edited by Lolsia
more things to say

Off the top of my head it should be pretty easy to merge the 20v fuse box into the existing one. The majority of wires go through to the ecu and going from memory the alternator, starter, oil, water temp, rad fan trigger, ac, and I think a power wire go to or through the fuse box. The good thing is the wire colours are practically the same so with a bit of tracing and testing you can quickly figure them out. As for registering with an open air filter, I am not well versed but think the requirements are an enclosed filter. 

Just be aware that you do need to run the air flow meter with the factory ecu so unless you plan to swap to a black top ecu and wiring or an after market ecu then open throttles are off the cards. 

• Thanks 1

So I was looking through the both the fuse boxes, and it seems like there is stuff running on both of them. The first two images are the stock fuse box, the third and fourth is the third party fuse box

4.png

3.png

2.png

1.png

Edited by Lolsia

It seems like the horn relay, Engine coolant blower motor relay I and II, Interior lamps, hazard lamps, horn, idle speed control,  Engine coolant blower motor from the other fuse box is not connected from what I see

It's hard to pick from pictures alone but I get a feeling there is not much going on in the 20v box due to 3 main plugs missing. It might just be there as the person doing the install was not confident with removing it. You might need to find where they joined into the wiring from the 16v loom to the 20v one and see what has been done. Without cutting up the wiring loom you can try unplugging relays and fuses from the 20v box to get an idea of what is running off it. Are there any wires from the battery terminals to the 20v fuse box? 

There was a white wire running off of the negative terminal and into the loom that lead into the stock fusebox, I'm planning to get a engine hoist so I can clean up the engine bay and sort the wiring out that way

Edited by Lolsia

I was looking through the underside of the front dash area, and I had found that the ecu is not secured into anything and was under the carpet of the front passanger side, I don't have the owner's manual for my AE92 so I don't know where to actually secure the ecu to. I took apart the centre console to see where I could possibly secure the ecu to, and the second image is where maybe it could be. The third image is just a further shot of the second picture

image4.png

image3.png

image2.png

Edited by Lolsia

It looks like the 20v fuse box is handling the main power and the alternator. I think I see the oil and water temperature or fan wires too. The 20v box should have a starter motor relay too which the 16v won't have as all the current for the starter solenoid went through the ignition switch. 

The ecu slides in from the passenger side and goes under the foot air vent sitting on the tunnel. If you have the brackets there are 2 studs it bolts onto. 

Try unplugging fuses, relays and plugs from each box and see what stops working. That's the easiest way to see where the wiring is at without opening up the loom to see what has been joined. If you need to look for joined wires It should mostly be sitting above the gear box as that's where the main Junction of wires meet from the motor, ecu and fuse box. 

Another thing I should state, is that my AE92 Seca originally ran off of a 4A-FC, which may be a cause for issue as to why the wiring is a bit weird

That could make a bit of a difference. 

You might be better off keeping the 20v fuse box. It still depends on which fuse box is emptier ąnd how the wiring was done. 

Time to do some investigation and see what the story is. 

So what is an originally a carbeurated engine has been swapped with a EFI engine~ damn, what a challenge for my first car
(-  -;)

Don't stress it. Just identify one wire at a time. Label things, take pictures and buy a workshop book like a Haynes manual. The wiring diagrams are quite good. There are usually wires that are for optional items too so there will be ones not used. Just tidy them up to one side and don't worry about them. If you get stuck post back here and we can try to work it out. 

Your car was carby so they may not Have put the mounts in. It sits so the wires face the passenger footwell at the very top of your picture. It sits ontop of the gear cables almost wedged under the foot air vents. 

ok, that's done, I already connected the pins into the ecu after I took this photo, but where do the wiring harnesses go? Do it just try to manage it above the ecu inside the centre console?

image9.png

Considering your wiring harness is the 20v one I would put it where it fits as it will not be quite the same. Normally the ecu sits 90deg clockwise with the plugs facing passenger side with the wires tucked up behind the heater box and through the fire wall. Tape them up tidy so they don't get damaged and hide them along the edge of the foot well under the carpet. If it all reaches I wouldn't worry about moving the ecu from where you have it. 

It seems like my AE92 will not start, it cranks, but won’t start, the rear windshield wipers don’t seem to turn off for some reason too.

Ok.... Well first question, have you changed anything? What is different from last time it ran? It might be quickest to go back over what you have done and see if you made a mistake or disturbed something. Who knows how the wires have been joined. 

Second. What is it missing? Given you are playing with wiring it is probably electrical so let's check spark and fuel. Take the coil lead off the dizzy, position it so it's about 10-20mm away from a metal engine part then crank and check for a spark. Check the fuel pump is working by turning the key to ignition and opening the flap on the air flow meter. The relay next to the ecu should click and you should hear the pump run as well. 

As for the wiper, it could be unrelated. There is a control module in the tail gate which can play up if it gets wet which will keep it running. 

Let me know how you get on. If it ends up complicated you might need to get local help as problem solving without being able to stand in front of it to run tests really limits how much I can help. 

• 2 weeks later...

I took apart the dash to see what I have forgot about when doing some cable management, it seems like there is a leak beneath my front windscreen which has led to to these fuses completely be soaked, but other than that, I don't think these could affect ignition and starting up the car, although the leak is still a major cause of concern for me, luckily I didn't have the battery plugged in whilst these have been soaked

image0 (1).jpg

So far as for the car not starting up, I remember the time whe it all began when I started up the car, it cranked normally, and instead of starting, it just made a sort of clunk noise, I doubt it could be engine knock as I can not identify any damage on the engine block.

The only things I have done in terms of electricals so far, was some cable management for the ecu and securing it into place, and looking inside the fuseboxes to see what fuses are being used so that I could see how to rewire the harness