LED Light Bars

riftime

Hi all,

Was thinking that there'd be a few posts on this topic already but maybe I haven't searched the right way? Maybe someone can point me to the right posts if they exist please?

I'd like to install an LED light bar to my Presara. Anyone done this and have any ideas/suggestions? Supercheap/Repco/Autobarn seem to have have a number of them these days, wiring harnesses, mounts, etc.. Curious what experiences people have had with these.

Also noticing that most appear targeted for bull bars on 4WDs, so mounting on an Aurion I imagine is trickier? Some also seem to rate 60W, 120W, some as high as almost 200W in consumption. Can the Aurion alternator pump that much additional current? Suppose it's only 16-17 Amps at 12V, more like 14A at 14V (running voltage). Also curious about the installation challenges, not keen on having to drill permanent holes where avoidable. 

Thanks all!

The light I have is stedi - from their website and its mounted on a numberplate bracket - also from stedi. Will take a few more pictures tomorrow but the fitting was pretty easy. The wiring harness all connected easily, alternator has no problems with it... I did buy - as an extra to the light, a switch that fitted exactly into a blank switch spot on the dash (to right of steering wheel). This allows me to turn it on, meaning it comes on with high beam or off, meaning it does not come on at all.

The hardest part of fitting was getting the wires through the firewall. I used a hole which already had wires going through but had to slightly cut the rubber boot to get it through

the filter just behind the grill is added into the transmission cooler lines 

1A0D33DC-C26A-4F5D-804B-6A707DAB8ECF.jpeg

12E2E493-6351-4696-ADBE-8BF884FEF2D7.jpeg

80A61251-21D9-4AA1-94D1-56318496FE0A.jpeg

996879F2-5D8B-4CFE-9233-09811FD4739B.jpeg

AE349AFC-74D1-48A0-9C7E-8AF07330876F.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey, Nice work Matt. I love how the switch fits perfectly in the blank spot. It looks factory.

I did notice it uses a simple molex plug connector. If you have time, get yourself some heat shrink tubing and do both halves to keep moisture and dirt out. The corrosion will create a high resistance and will make the alternator work harder as the current demand goes up.

They should've added the heat shrink with the kit to be honest as modern car electrics need to be sealed due to the complexity with on board computer monitoring systems etc. Don't know what they were thinking. I'd even send them a message and inform them and they may do an upgrade. This would've been ok on 70's or 80's cars but definitely not for a modern car.

By the way, heat shrink is usually 2:1 ratio.

996879F2-5D8B-4CFE-9233-09811FD4739B.thumb.jpeg.ce89dc303254e1c65a150845e4450348.jpeg

810-CN-MOL2.jpg

• Like 1