Technical Review of Toyota's Dynamic Force Engine

Following YouTube videos are by a Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician.

Amazing engineering marvel that makes previous engines like dinosaurs.

However, the video Part 2 outlines a few potential DIY issues.

• Thanks 1

Very exciting new technology for sure. I love the attention to detail the Toyota engineers possess. Forward thinking and refreshing. For a mass producer of cars I still reckon Toyota is way ahead of the game. I don't think I'd drive any other car as a daily driver.

Love the idea of the variable coolant flow. Very clever stuff. Certainly brings new challenges in the DIY sense, but hey, with a bit of research and knowledge, I'm sure we can learn how to deal with the service aspect as these engines become more mainstream.

Good stuff.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Following is a recent video by The Car Care Nut. Not surprising that is is informative. It reinforces the need for regular maintenance as well as previous messages about using 0W-16 viscosity engine oil and quality fuel.

Looks like ideally you still need to wait more than 12 months after a new model is introduced particularly if it is introducing a new engine and/or transmission. Noted that 8 speed transmission issues have been sorted either by replacing an early batch and then subsequent software updates. Good point about having the transmission memory reset when you are buying a used model with these 8 speed transmissions.

Fortunate for Australian buyers that USA consumers have been on the leading edge and found most of the pitfalls that have since been corrected.

Isn't it funny how it even comes down to oil viscosity in terms of engine reliability and functionality. Old school mechanics would scoff at this and to their detriment too. Remember when we used to put 20w-50 in practically everything ? Sheesh how times have changed !

But it is very important, as our friend in the video mentions, you must use the correct oil the engine was designed for otherwise you will have problems. It couldn't be said any more especially that highly strung 2.5LT 4 banger. I'd love to see how the 0W-16 flows out of the bottle 😄

6 hours ago, campbeam said:

Looks like ideally you still need to wait more than 12 months after a new model is introduced particularly if it is introducing a new engine and/or transmission.

It's still funny how things rings true. It was always the mantra of the day 20 and even 30 years ago, but It cannot be said more now, especially with the latest fancy technology. Good to see that Toyota swapped out the whining transmission with a brand new updated version. It would be difficult to know for sure how a transmission is going to behave until it gets some real world testing. So I'd take my hat off to the Guinea Pigs who buy 1st Gen cars and have to do a manufacturers R&D for them.