Fault codes no warning lights

Just a follow up from the fuel burning issue i have been experiencing, i took my car down to supercheap and had them run a diagnostic scan and it's thrown numerous codes

Fault memory has P0300, P0302, P0304 all unknown error codes. From what I have read they are cylinder misfires however no check engine light is present. Would these be old faults that were stored in the computer memory?

There is also ABS fault c1201, c1231, c0365 but again no ABS light on the dash, It comes on at start up but goes away. Any ideas what is going on?

Edited by Henstepper

I am a bit surprised that you have not done a Google search for those error codes. Cylinders 2 and 4 are misfiring.

https://www.fixdapp.com/blog/p0300-code/

https://www.fixdapp.com/blog/p0302-code/

https://cars-care.net/toyota-c1201-code-problems-and-troubleshoot/

https://www.obd2-code.com/2018/01/c1231-drive-test-steering-angle-sensor.html

After you read these Links, engine misfires are regarded as severe requiring an immediate fix. A proper diagnosis needs to be performed rather than replacing unneeded parts.

C error codes may require the ABS module to be replaced. Again, a proper diagnosis should be performed first.

23 hours ago, Henstepper said:

I wanted to know if these are current codes or codes that once were but stored in the memory permanantly

Whoever ran the diagnostic scan should have been able to give you the answer.

If the codes have not been cleared, then another diagnostic scan will reveal the situation.

Personally, I have bought a basic OBDII scantool so that I can easily read and clear the error codes.

A professional mechanic is going to have a high end OBDII scan tool costing a quite a few thousands of dollars and should know how to use it and accurately interprete the results.

On 8/8/2021 at 8:30 PM, Henstepper said:

I actually mentioned that I did google search in my OP. but thanks. I wanted to know if these are current codes or codes that once were but stored in the memory permanantly

It's likely that they are old codes. What I would do is clear these and then take the car for a drive and see if the same codes come back.

As Ashley mentioned, you should invest in a diagnostic scanner of your own. Just like in the old days, we'd keep a small toolbox of various tools to check and adjust things, nowadays it's all mostly electronic diagnosis and so your toolkit should be this.

Does the vehicle feel like it's misfiring ? Is it running slightly rough ? Rough Idle ?

Steve, there can be so many reasons for all those codes. Can you tell if the car's ever ended up with the bonnet under water? Guess you don't know much about the car's service history? Before jumping to conclusions, take it to you mechanic for a thorough service that'll include engine oil/filter, air filter, throttle body & MAF sensor cleaning, brakes (sticky caliper pistons can cause excessive fuel usage). I wouldn't fret about the spark plugs too much if it's still on originals, in the US they service them at 120k miles, so the 90k kms service in Australia looks like plain institutionalized rip-off. But it's not unheard on an ignition coil to fail. In your case the car's older than 10 years so you should be doing the fuel filter as well. Few things to look into unfortunately, let us know how you go. Good luck, if serviced well the Aurion is a great car to own, we've got 2 in the family and so far they didn't disappoint 🙂

Edited by AurionX2
  • Like 1

I've got a similar issue. The check engine light isn't on but running an obd2 sensor revealed the following codes. I did a google search but I'm fairly new to cars and just ended up being confused. It's also averaging 14L/100km which seems like a bit much. Also, does anyone know a reputable mechanic is Sydney? 

IMG_1004.thumb.jpg.b423d5874faba05ae9c43917d8862496.jpg

I took it totoyota they cleared the codes. They didnt come back. It had a full service history. They checked it over they said its in great condition. They gave me a new fuel cap which may have been the reason for excess fuel consumption

2 hours ago, Henstepper said:

I took it totoyota they cleared the codes. They didnt come back. It had a full service history. They checked it over they said its in great condition. They gave me a new fuel cap which may have been the reason for excess fuel consumption

I had a feeling it was a big nothing. Sometimes the car will hiccup and protest and "fault codes" will populate whether you like it or not. It's just the way they are made. They can throw a code and still have nothing wrong with it. Modern electronics I guess. They are highly strung these modern machines. If there was a solid fault, which keeps recurring, then this is the time to act. I would still invest in a decent scanner and scan it occasionally yourself.

Drive it for a few days and let us know if the fuel consumption improves.

Also, “modern” cars will become hypochondriacs as the batteries get old.  If the battery voltage drops too low during engine cranking, sensors go “out of range” and well you get the start of the code tsunami.  
Incredibly common cause of “communication failure” messages…