Nakamichi CD400 Review

DANZZT231

Few days ago I received my Nakamichi cd400 head unit. I decided to use this head unit in order to chase my S.Q desires, as my old Pioneer DEH5450 is not up to the task for the new found system set up.

Previously I am running pioneer speakers and Performa amp

Now I am running Audison SRX4 amplifier, Rodek splits with custom tuned 2nd order passive crossover and Hart 10' subwoofer with custom tuned dual passive radiator box. I also use Directed Expert RCAs to deliver the cleanest possible signal to the amplifer.

Departing from ordinary loud-only system to S.Q is no easy task, but a selection of music is a good guide to decide what sort of sound is wished to be heared. I am a big fan of Jazz both vocal and instrumentals, and house music. Due to this taste of music, I don't require mega booming bass. All I need is great front staging focus. In order to achieve this, as any audiophiles would know it, all things must come to balance between the head unit, amp, speakers and subwoofer - All in the name of S.Q. Hence the depart of Pioneer to the Nakamichi head unit.

Usually you can determine what sort of sound you would get based on the tradition of the brand. Nakamichi always is about instrumental and jazz - the essence of all music. Install is a breeze. 1st I tried house music to check its bass capability, and what deep sound it is. Warm and controlled. Pure focus here ladies and gentlemen. Satisfied with the bass, time for the real test. Clarity in vocals and accuracy in sound production. Diana Krall cd is put to the test, and boy it feels like she is right in front of me singing personally. Its very detailed, you can feel the emotion of the singer, hear her breathing as she gets ready to sing the next words, and much more. Even sound I didnt hear before.

Front staging is very good. Feels like there is no subwoofer in the boot - as all of the sound is orchestrating all in the front. Superb.

I would personally give this head unit 5/5. If you don't care about the looks, and not into christmas tree display - this head unit delivers fine sonic sound that every audiophiles desires.

Edited by Danz

Very good review my friend, and i was thinking of going a cd400 too, but have temporarily gone down the car theatre path instead.

Reason why i held back on getting the naka cd400 was the lack of mp3 support as i do go on long drives and prefer to have the ability to have lots of music on a disc. Any ideas on the cd500 sound quality when it comes to mp3 playback?