2004 Kluger aftermarket wheel problems

Funtcase

Hi, wanting to replace the ugly factory 17 inch wheels on my stock 04 Kluger.

Offset is 35, but I have a few questions I'm hoping can be answered?

Is that 35 offset positive?

Has anyone here swapped their wheels out for aftermarket? If so, I'd love to know the offset of yours please? 

I bought a set of Toyota alloys, but apparently they have an offset of 50. So when fitted to the back of the Kluger, the rim (no tyre fitted) is only around 10mm away from the strut.

Also can I go to 18 inch instead of 17?  

Thanks guys for your time and advice, looking around there are not many mags with an offset of 35. Wondering if I could go to say 40?

Hi mate, got your PM.

I'm pretty sure it's a positive offset of 35 but happy to be corrected by a member here. What I do know is that all 1st and 2nd gen Kluger wheels (except one subversion) have an offset of 35 (model years 2000 to 2013) and are straight swaps. Later generations and years have an offset of 30 (except one subversion) and so are also straight swaps as they will be further away from the strut by an extra 5mm (35-30=5). The offset of 50 you got brought the wheel 15mm closer to the strut. 

Have a look at this website for all models - https://www.wheel-size.com/size/toyota/kluger/2004/

My wheels are 17" x 7.5" with an offset of 35 and come off a 2nd generation Kluger. I also use a larger diametre and wider tyre (245/65R17). I'm currently trying to source a lighter set of wheels (in an offset of 30) as I want to reduce fuel consumption which is my current gripe. For the same reason I'll drop back to 225 width tyres but will maintain the bigger overall diametre.

You can go to 18", 19" and even 20" wheels but you're getting into rubber band territory with the tyres. The ride will get more and more harsh especially if you go onto a dirt road. Have a look at the Lexus RX300 and RX330 wheels which come in 17" and 18" and an offset of 30 or 35. It's practically the same car with most of the chassis and engine parts the same or interchangeable. I've used a rear aftermarket Lexus swaybar for my Kluger.

Use this calculator to get an idea of wheel, tyre and offset combinations - https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

There's a huge forum at Toyota Nation where the Kluger is called the Highlander. Heaps of info and mods over there. 

Sweet thanks for that info, I have a set of wheels like yours lined up to buy, just awaiting confirmation of the offset from the seller, don't want to drive 2 hours for nothing.

Did you notice an increase in fuel consumption fitting these wheels? I was going to go for a 235 size in car tread pattern for mine, I drive through farms sometimes but nothing remotely serious.

Mine is a 2.4 so probably uses a bit less than the 3.3 and 3.5 versions, but its also not as powerful, but does what I need.

Must have a look at Toyota Nation, thanks for the info!

Pic of mine, so you can understand how I really need to get rid of these ugly rims!!

vasasas.jpg

3 hours ago, Funtcase said:

Did you notice an increase in fuel consumption fitting these wheels? I was going to go for a 235 size in car tread pattern for mine, I drive through farms sometimes but nothing remotely serious.

Yes there has been an increase in fuel consumption which I am attributing to the wheel/tyre combo. I also have a 60mm lift which can apparently also lead to an increase in fuel consumption. I'd say stick with 225 or 235 at most. Wider wheels are not always better and can be worse in the wet and dirt roads from what I understand and another reason why I want to go back to 225. My aim is dirt roads, easy fire trails, and beaches, and the highways to get there. No 4WD tracks needing low range.

Yes they aren't the most sexy wheels around but a tyre with a more aggressive tread and a slightly bigger diametre might help the aesthetics much like mine. Of course fuel consumption will be worse ...much like mine lol. At least with a 2.4 engine you spend less on fuel than I do. .