RAV4 2022 Hybrid Spare Tyre

LoftyLofty

I'm amazed the 2022 Hybrid RAV4 Edge does not have a full size spare tyre, just a spacesaver for temporary use. I do a lot of dirt/gravel road driving and I'd rather have a full size spare, not a soft tyre that can only last a short distance at slow speeds to limp home over a distance of a few hundred kilometres, far greater than the temporary tyre recommends.

I've searched online and found a couple of videos indicating that it may be possible to replace with a full-size spare, but none seen for the 2022 Edge Hybrid. For example:

Edited by LoftyLofty

I think that these space saver tyres are a cost saving measure by the manufacturer.

Interestingly enough, I have not had to use the spare wheel as an emergency in the past 10 years or so. Even though my driving is upon decent urban roads and highways close to home, it is still nice to have particularly when on an interstate road trip. 

As you mentioned, a space saver tyre is not going to be suitable for your emergency needs. I guess that you could be visiting your local wreckers to find a suitable spare wheel and tyre, as one option. 

Thanks @campbeam for your reply. I've had four punctures in 6 years, with 2 in the city and 2 in rural areas, so I'm thinking a full size tyre is required, and I'm happy to buy it separately, but not if it doesn't fit in the boot obviously!

Edited by LoftyLofty

You may want to check and see if the wheel well is the same for Hybrid versions as opposed to non hybrid. A trip to your local dealer may be of great value if you're ever near one.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

we have the 2021 Hybrid Cruiser and this too came with a spacesaver spare tyre.  We were not impressed as in the first year we had 2 flat tyres - we are country remote and travel on dirt roads, it was not safe for us to be using this as our spare tyre.  We have sourced a second hand rim which does fit in the wheel well in the boot.

Quick question, has anyone has any luck purchasing a full size spare tyre for their Rav4 hybrid? I'm looking at ordering one ( ordering it now so I may have by the time we retire ), but as we'll be doing a lot of country driving I'd much prefer full size over a space saver.