Sputtering/spluttering on lower RPM.

Yes, Possibly. If you're a DIYer, just go through and check the usual things, like fuel system and ignition items. When was the last time you checked the spark plugs and fuel filter ? 

Dodgy fuel is very possible with all this rain we've had and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some contamination at various service stations. You also have to remember that you'll never know at what stage the tanks are when you fill up. If the tanks are at their lowest point, that's where the crud usually resides and some of that crud does make it through to the customers sometimes. Hopefully the fuel filter will trap the sedimentary stuff, but if too much water goes through, it will definitely compromise the engine performance. I'd be interested to see the spark plug condition too.

Let us know what you find.

Cheers mate :thumbsup: 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the long delay in replying back champ. Been gettin my head around the new job and all. 🙌

The first thing I thought to check was the ignition coils and the spark plugs.

Chamber one had a bloody lil ball bearing stuck between the wall and the neck of the sparkplugs. Trying to get the lil sucker out.

Decided to take the rocker cover off with my mate and try make it easier. Took us 2 hrs trying to get it out & a smidge to get the source of our bane out. My mate went to go get 2 new ignition coils & 4 new plugs. I'll be replacing the remaining ignition coils with another pair of the other 2 asap. Probably just give the O2 sensors a clean including the maf sensor and throttle body intake flappity flap flaps at the same time. Might as well replace the full wheel hub assembly passenger side wouldn't hurt either which is due. I've had the part for a couple of mths now. Been chippin away at it. 

last thing would be the left rear coilovers 😯

Edited by R0nsta
Amended words that's not permitted to be used
  • Thanks 1

Symptoms:

Between 1k to 3k RPM it was sputtering/misfiring. Anything afrer/over 3k RPM she just comes back to life. 

I first thought bad fuel could be the cause. I ruled it out when it would automatically just roar back to life  at 3k and up with no sputtering or full loss of power. Sour thing about it,  it was one of those days where it poured hardcore. I was also concerned about water getting sucked in by the air filter right behind the left side bumper foglight covers. I nursed her home ever so gently 15 mins away from home avoiding left lane at all costs or else it would've been a catastrophe 🌪🌨

2 hours ago, R0nsta said:

Chamber one had a bloody lil ball bearing stuck between the wall and the neck of the sparkplugs. Trying to get the lil sucker out.

WOW ! What are the chances ? So in essence that little ball bearing was probably creating an occasional short to ground. 

Invest in a telescopic magnetic pick up tool. That would have come in very handy on the day.

Can't say the ball bearing that looks like a small fishing sinker would've been the cause. It may have had contact with the wall and neck of the spark plug but it was touching the ceramic part where it shows the part number.  When I think of it,  the plugs were getting pretty close to time to change anyway.   

I even tore apart an old disk drive for a PC and tried to use the strong magnet.  No go there. I'd say the stooges down the rd at ultra tune put it in there. That was 2.5 years ago also. Never took it to another shop since 👎

• Like 1

"Invest in a telescopic magnetic pick up tool. That would have come in very handy on the day. "

I thought exactly the same thing the next day after the ordeal. My mate did say he was surprised I've been able to drive it and it didn't blow up or anything. It would have caused a big headache in the pockets for sure. Starter motor is gettin sticky also. I'll sort that out when I somehow sort out and  replace the pwr steering high pressure hose also 😒 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, R0nsta said:

I'd say the stooges down the rd at ultra tune put it in there. That was 2.5 years ago also. Never took it to another shop since 👎

Precisely why I am DIY. I would rather invest time and effort to offset the cost of extra tools.

Guess that you would have worked out the high importance of removing that offending object before even thinking about removing the spark plug. A hook and pick set may also be useful to loosen that ball bearing and make it easier for the magnetic pick up tool to attract and hold it.

On 6/10/2022 at 3:33 AM, R0nsta said:

Can't say the ball bearing that looks like a small fishing sinker would've been the cause.

If it was a non ferrous item, you could just put some blutack on the end of a stick and retrieve it that way too.

Could've done that also ey.  Unfortunately it wasnt an option at that point in time. 

Noted for future reference.  I doubt it will happen again because I'll be the one changing the plugs next time and not taking it to some dodgy butthead mechanic at ultra tune

17 hours ago, campbeam said:

Precisely why I am DIY. I would rather invest time and effort to offset the cost of extra tools.

Guess that you would have worked out the high importance of removing that offending object before even thinking about removing the spark plug. A hook and pick set may also be useful to loosen that ball bearing and make it easier for the magnetic pick up tool to attract and hold it.

Yeah man.  It was a must to get that out because the socket wasnt able to even grab or reach it properly due to the obstruction. Wouldn't have been able to remove the plug till that annoyance was taken out.  Gonna invest in a magnetic tool for sure.  The ball bearing was dislodged but the issue was trying to pick it up.  Although I put the magnet at the highest part of the screwdriver's shaft but still wasn't getting picked up.  If it was a bloody actual fishing sinker,  those thing's ain't magnetic right? 

50 minutes ago, R0nsta said:

If it was a bloody actual fishing sinker,  those thing's ain't magnetic right? 

Usually, those sinkers are lead and not magnetic.  This is where you may need that hook and pick set to be able to flick that item out of the spark plug opening. A pair of tweezers or some mini long nose pliers are some other options. 

I did mention it to my mate the sinkers are made out of lead which made his eyes light up hoping it isnt.  He did have long nose pliers also and it was still a struggle getting the sucker out.  I even grabbed my dyson and tried to get it out but still no go ey

5 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Usually, those sinkers are lead and not magnetic.  This is where you may need that hook and pick set to be able to flick that item out of the spark plug opening. A pair of tweezers or some mini long nose pliers are some other options. 

Even used a metal BBQ skewer which was like a normal BBQ stick and he turned it to a pick and hopefully the pliers could pick it up at the same time but no go 👎

18 hours ago, R0nsta said:

If it was a bloody actual fishing sinker,  those thing's ain't magnetic right? 

That's why I suggested the blutak method because fishing sinkers are lead, hence "non ferrous" metal. I keep a packet of the stuff always cos it's one of the most handiest hack items.

Noted for future reference for sure

I'm still wondering also where I can source out a replacement pwr steering high pressure hose from due to the one on the car is starting to leak 😒

20 minutes ago, R0nsta said:

Noted for future reference for sure

I'm still wondering also where I can source out a replacement pwr steering high pressure hose from due to the one on the car is starting to leak 😒

I usually start with Toyota spare parts dealer as a reference, then I scour Ebay for know suspects, then weigh it all up. If you have to pay a bit more that the others without there being too much difference, I opt for brand new Genuine Toyota part.

If you are luckily enough, a wrecker could have a low mileage vehicle with a very decent part. That's also worked for me in the past.

Much appreciated on the input.  Thanks Tony

My mechanic tried calling his contacts but apparently there is none.  

Is the part the same on other corollas or is it different for the tivo's? I can order one from Japan but who knows how long that's gonna take to arrive. I might have to give my other guy a call who will definitely have spares of it.  I presume they shouldn't be tooo expensive also I'm guessing 🤔