VVTI rattle Explained

KAA

Hi All, I watched this excellent video from one of my favourite You Tube mechanic's The Car Care Nut. this one explains brilliantly why we can get VVTI rattle on cold start up, I encourage all to watch it as he explains it very easily and expertly.

Enjoy

KAA

• Like 2

Here's the thing. The Early VVTi system were flawed in design and thankfully limited to specific period of manufacturing. I wonder if Toyota did a recall on those ticking time bombs because I find it very slack that the customer, who is totally oblivious to all this, would have to pay thousands of dollars to correct an issue that through no fault of their own, can grenade an engine from a car company such as Toyota renowned for quality and reliability and should take ownership of the problem it created.

Could it be that they did not do enough R&D on the system before it was put into production ??
I guess, the best form of R&D these days is to make it and then let us, The Mug Consumer, do the R&D for them free of charge, so they can then go back and do the relevant upgrades or adjustments. Problem is, why does the car owner have to pay to have the issue fixed ?? it should be incumbent on those who designed it in the first place no ? 

Also, I wonder  if the issue as described by AMD was only for the U.S market and how much of the information put forward translates to Australian built Toyota's of that same era in question. I've never heard of any such engines grenading due to a poorly designed VVTi. There may have been, but I'm not aware of it to be honest.
We're all aware of the cold start rattle some have faced, but that's as far as it went. Whether the issue was corrected or not is another whole story.

Thankfully my engine operates perfectly which is why we always advocate regular oil changes with high quality synthetic oils. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Also, I wonder  if the issue as described by AMD was only for the U.S market and how much of the information put forward translates to Australian built Toyota's of that same era in question. I've never heard of any such engines grenading due to a poorly designed VVTi. There may have been, but I'm not aware of it to be honest.
We're all aware of the cold start rattle some have faced, but that's as far as it went. Whether the issue was corrected or not is another whole story.

Thankfully my engine operates perfectly which is why we always advocate regular oil changes with high quality synthetic oils. 

I found this URL that the 2GR-FE engine has been produced since 2004 at factories in both Japan and the USA.

https://shop.korea-motors.com/new-engine-gasoline-2gr-fe-toyota-vehicles-2004-20-.html

I am thinking that it is fortunate that the engines for our Aurions would have been sourced from Japan after that initial production period.

I took particular note of The Car Nut's comment "Look after your Toyota and it will look after you" which supports my preventative maintenance approach and also the use of good quality engine oil.

Because I am battling an ongoing oil sludge issue with my Aurion, I have removed and cleaned the oil control valves a few times in the past.

His recommendation of a 5000 mile or 6 month oil change interval is noted but I use a much shorter OCI because of my daily drives are very short distance.

Planning upon removing the front valve cover in June so I will be closely inspecting the VVTi system as well as giving the valve cover a thorough clean.

• Like 1

Hi Guys As Tony mentioned I also have not heard of an Aurion grenading because of the VVTI system collapsing as The Car Car Nut mentioned. However as Ash and many have said keep the OSI intervals up to date and treat our beauties with TLC and we wont ever have to worry about it. Just found his explanation very informative and interesting as always with him.

KAA

9 hours ago, campbeam said:

I am thinking that it is fortunate that the engines for our Aurions would have been sourced from Japan after that initial production period.

That makes sense due to the Geographical location. Somehow I put more faith in the Japanese manufacture than the U.S.

9 hours ago, campbeam said:

Because I am battling an ongoing oil sludge issue with my Aurion, I have removed and cleaned the oil control valves a few times in the past.

Have you ever removed the VVTi oil lines to inspect those mesh filters Ash ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Have you ever removed the VVTi oil lines to inspect those mesh filters Ash ?

A few years ago, I did have to replace the front VVTi oil line. I do remember cleaning a small cone shaped metal mesh filter. Otherwise I have left the VVTi oil lines be.

I have removed the oil control valves and the camshaft position sensor on the front bank a few times to give them a clean. 

It has been a long time since I have occasionally noticed the VVTi rattle on start up. I give credit to the frequent oil changes to clean up the engine internals.

Being DIY, I do extra oil changes to avoid any expensive tear downs of the engine for costly repairs.

• Like 1

I often wondered about checking those filter on the VVTI lines, The Car Care Nut didn't really specify servicing them so am unsure if it is a required service item so any information on them could prove interesting. I have never touched mine since having the car, as she is now 13 years old an I never get a VVTI rattle I have chosen to not touch what isn't broken and just do very regular services with good quality oils. But would be good to know if they should be removed and cleaned.

KAA

• Like 1