Uncontrollable Front Wheel Spin on Takeoff - SX6 2007

JT1999

Hi there. I have recently acquired a 2nd hand Toyota Aurion. It was brought from one of the more reliable car-dealerships and was serviced and warranted right before I brought it. 

Mostly running well expect for one issue. The front wheels spin when taking off with a bit of power. It will always happen if I flat foot, but sometimes it just happens if I'm just taken off to rush into a gap. The wheels lockup for about 2-3 seconds and then it red-lines and then it starts to drive normally with a bit of sway to the left when this happens. Car accelerates well if I'm doing at least 40kmh. But below about 30 it'll spin the wheels.

Anyone know what causes this?

FWD with no lsd.

What sort of tyres does it have ? Old or newish ? I can vouch for the Michelin PS4 as very sticky & will only loose traction if I give it the beans from stand still which I never do. Best to feed the power using your right foot 😉

Good Rides 215/55R17, 4 tires all brand new

https://www.tyresales.com.au/tyres/goodride/size/215-55r17

Seems to be griping to the road too much and not letting me take off. My 1999 Accord can get into a gap better (obviously way slower) but the wheel spin in the Aurion slows it down a lot on launch

• Haha 1

Wrong vehicle to be driving foot flat to the floor from stationary. If that is your preferred driving style suggest that you go buy an AWD subaru or similar. I previously had subaru liberty and it ended up being a money pit compared to the Camry in the family at that time.

The Aurion is not a "boy racer" vehicle. I think of it as more of a highway cruiser able to cruise all day and overtake effortlessly. Something else to consider is the drive train especially the auto transmission which while robust is not designed for drag racing. Expect to either replace the transmission or do an expensive rebuild. Precisely why I chose to be slower from a stop and then use steady acceleration to overtake those that have momentarily raced ahead.

Laughing because I fully expect you are going to find out the very hard way about the quality of those GoodRide brand tyres. Quite a few years ago, I bought a used, as new set with 90% tread; standard size 215/60/16. I discovered that they were absolutely treacherous with minimal grip in slightly wet road conditions. Given the expected outcome of a smashed up vehicle fitted with cheap Chinese brand tyres or pay extra to have quality brand name tyres and no dramas, I have parted with the extra $$.

• Like 2

As Ash has explained, you need to modify your driving style. The Aurion is a cinch of a car to drive smoothly & quickly, so you either have mechanical issues regarding takeoff in the tranny department or your right foot is way too heavy. I suspect the tyres aren't flash for grip but it should still have no issues dealing with the momentous torque the Aurion gives those front tyres.

Personally I have no issues whatsoever driving my car smoothly & efficiently in the wet with my thick soled shoes on let alone barefoot. Not even with my old OE & poorly worn Turanzas. And although very expensive, the Michelins are brilliant.

ps: the main reason why I pay more for tyres is for the life saving grip ability in all conditions like emergency braking, if at all possible everyone should aim for same 😉

Edited by ZZT86
safety comment
  • Like 1

I've always had Michelin's on mine and the grip has been very good. 

Despite this, you still need to finesse the right foot application on the powerful 2GR-FE V6. Stomping your right foot with 300 horsepower front wheel drive car, it will most certainly protest mate. Be patient and gradually increase the throttle once it's underway to avoid tramping wheel spin off the mark.

The previous posts are spot on the money.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. Plenty of power thru the front wheels. Just gotta be a bit easier on the pedal. My old Falcon XR6 spun the wheels when you floored it - but that was the back wheels - again, whether it be FWD or RWD, you just take it easy on the pedal for the first few meters so the wheels have a chance to gain traction, then you can plant it a bit harder. They go hard tho & IMO handle pretty good for a big FWD, just gotta drive them differently than a RWD. Good tyres do make a difference also. Enjoy...

1 minute ago, STEVES ATX said:

you just take it easy on the pedal for the first few meters so the wheels have a chance to gain traction, then you can plant it a bit harder.

Yes exactly. You have to finesse the pedal a little before going all out.