uprgading alternator

hey people...

with this PC im running in my car, and with my amps and other electrical things, im sucking up a whole lot of power out of my poor battery... im planning on sticking an extra battery in the boot to run my PC and amp. probably a heavy duty long lasting whopper battery... im just wondering, how do you keep it charging? just run a line from the alternator into what? positive or negative?

what im concerned about is drawing too much power from the alternator and it not being able to handle it... so if i need to buy a new/bigger one, where can i get one from? can i stick any larger alternator on or does it have to be made for a corolla? has anyone upgraded their alternator yet?

i dont really know how an alternator works, except the thingo inside spins like crazy with the engine, creating power, which is then stored in the battery... anything else i should know?

yeah? will that be just as effective? ill get a deep cycle one so i can use the PC without the engine on for longer...

but what about alternator? if im running all these things, i might end up using more power than im generating... so im going to need something bigger... anyone got any ideas on how i can do this?

Here we go again with the piddley stock alternator problems.

Have a chat with a good auto electrician. They may be able to modify or re-wind your existing one to be stronger.

Yeah, I dun like the 2 battery thing either....

i think we all know whats draining my power... its this friggen carputer... i stuffed the settings up yesterday and told it go on standby on 'ignition off'... so it was sitting outside for 2 hours on standby. flat battery :(

i think its alright... but im going to buy another battery cos ive got some crazy corrosion happening on my positive terminal...

whats the highest capacity battery i can get that wont stuff anything and wont be too big for the alternator for about $150?

i think its alright... but im going to buy another battery cos ive got some crazy corrosion happening on my positive terminal...

That was quite possibly your problem... If the terminal was corroded it seriously degrades the current flow. Clean or replace the terminals and see if this makes a difference.

or if its your sound system thats draining the power go the capacitor way

A Cap wont do squat other than smooth out the power supply to the audio gear... it'll still drain the same amount.

Personally I have two batteries, only because it was cheaper for me to get the wire and the little battery than it was to get a bigger one.

I also have a Pc in my car.

thats such an expensive battery though!!

anyone found a price under $300 for a yellowtop?

Yeah it is... but it's worth it man. It's great for using a lot of accessories in the car while the engine is off. It's deep cycle too. Gotta invest in a quality battery. If you look around hard, you can get them quite cheap. I know someone who picked one up for $170 when Supermarket HIFI were closing down.

• 3 years later...

i think a bigger battery would help rather than getting high output alternator cuz its so expensive. All alternator does is just regulates the batterys voltage (charges when its low and stops when its too high)

you should be sitting in around 12.5V ~ 13.5V

New cars these days, the alternator SHOULD be powerful enough to handle alot of electrical things. (i've run a computer, 2 amps and 2 subs once and aircon and the voltmeter in my car stayed somewhere in the low 12Vs to 12.5V...

Just dont be idle for too long or use it for too long when the engine is off :P

most of the time u (or rather your passenger) will use it when the car is moving anyways. so charge shouldn't be a problem. ;)