Kluger 2022 hybrid inner taillight replacement

George00620819

Hi there!!

I got a  brand new kluger 2 weeks ago and noticed a small chip on the right inner tail light.

it’s very minor but I have OCD and I will replace the tail light at my cost $720 plus labour since it’s not covered from dealership.

I have booked next week to my Toyota dealership for the replacement, is it straight forward job for them?I heard many people had issues with small scratches and broken clips on the boot trim upon removal.

Sometime you’re trying to fix something small and you make it worse 

Thanks in advance!!

0C00D4EB-0114-4A9D-B396-E4005C0064FD.jpeg

F6AB384B-4D63-4B43-A739-8D18BE93C823.jpeg

93136C7E-9125-4374-8ABC-BB379CE0D8C4.jpeg

Edited by George00620819
Add information

Did you just notice this now ? Do you think it came this way from the dealer or was it after the fact ?

I reckon it's repairable. Make sure the dealer gives you back the damaged one.

I was thinking that you can lightly sand any sharp edges and then inject some epoxy resin to the same level as the plastic, then lightly block the surface and buff. 

That's a $1000 chip. Ouch !

On 1/7/2023 at 6:36 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

Did you just notice this now ? Do you think it came this way from the dealer or was it after the fact ?

I reckon it's repairable. Make sure the dealer gives you back the damaged one.

I was thinking that you can lightly sand any sharp edges and then inject some epoxy resin to the same level as the plastic, then lightly block the surface and buff. 

That's a $1000 chip. Ouch !

That chip would definitely annoy the ocd in me and that would be all I would see every time I saw it especially if it were that new.  

I agree with Tony that you could make the chip a whole lot less noticeable at a fraction of the cost and in time you may even forget about it as the car picked up other minor chips and scratches from normal daily use.

It sounds like you've already committed to replacing it which does seem a bit expensive for something that small. I remember getting one of my tyre rims re-done after my wife parked badly and scratched it. Soon after repairing it and having 4 shiny scratch-free tyres, I scratched another tyre. My car is much older now and although free from major damage, it does have a few small dings and chips which I accept. I think life's too short and I'm certainly not rich enough to keep a car in showroom condition.