Camera Advice

Romp

Guys,

Interested in buying a new digital camera this month and I know a few of you are digi camera nerds:P

So need some advice on my next purchase.

Been looking at Canon Ixus 55 - seen for $385

Anyone know much about it and can lend their opinion?

And what other cameras in the slim point and shoot category are worth taking a look at in the same price range? ($450 max)

Cheers

I know its not the sme price range .. but I just got my Ixus 750

its now my second canon and for point n shoot I love it !! ..

come to the meet and ill bring it along .. so you can check out typical canon functionality

ive had good experience with sony cameras so far (im on my 2nd), except my battery is dead or something... it just wont read my battery sometimes...

but yeah they are very good for point and shoot too... and transferring pics to PC is very simple... and picture quality has been excellent too...

ive had good experience with sony cameras so far (im on my 2nd), except my battery is dead or something... it just wont read my battery sometimes...

but yeah they are very good for point and shoot too... and transferring pics to PC is very simple... and picture quality has been excellent too...

eggbert - what u think of the ixus 55? U reckon is worth $100-150 more for the ixus 65?

Think i can get for $480

the ixus 750 is nice but around $570

lol sony isnt that bad... i've found them to be pretty good...

i probably wont get one again though, everything sony is overpriced... but they do make good products...

i havent checked out the latest of any cameras, but im sure you can pick up a different brand with the same features and quality of a sony and pay less..

I have a Sony (4.1mp) Cost me about $350 odd about 18months ago... and it's good foir my use. Did alright on my European trip.

Ok, it's not as good as a nice SLR Digital or some flash 7mp thing, but its a good cheapie.. I understand the Sony DSCP600 or whatever the new equivelent is, is even better again...

With the popular brands, I don't think you can really go wrong. I use a Sony DSC-T7 and find it to be pretty good but deffinately not bang for your buck. It's more a design and compact thing you pay for. Possibly within your price range if you bargain hard. The T5 is more affordable and 5MP too.

Canons are also awesome cameras too. For $385, that's a good price. If $450 if your max that's a great choice man. You can get the 6MP Ixus 65 for around $500 from JB. Kinda not worth it for an extra MP.

I am also looking at buying a camera soon. I was looking at the Panasonic DMC FX01 or the Pentax A10. It's hard to split them, they are both closely priced and have features that are about the same. I'm looking at a max of $550, but don't wanna buy anything cheap/crap, I got a camera in my phone if I want crap pictures :P

I am also looking at buying a camera soon. I was looking at the Panasonic DMC FX01 or the Pentax A10. It's hard to split them, they are both closely priced and have features that are about the same. I'm looking at a max of $550, but don't wanna buy anything cheap/crap, I got a camera in my phone if I want crap pictures :P

Pentax by reputation :)

eggbert - what u think of the ixus 55? U reckon is worth $100-150 more for the ixus 65?

Think i can get for $480

I paid $515 for mine ..

baised though ...

I really like my canon alot .. advantage of the 750 as well is its awesomely quick boot time and massive screen !!!!

Think i can get for $480

I paid $515 for mine ..

baised though ...

I really like my canon alot .. advantage of the 750 as well is its awesomely quick boot time and massive screen !!!!

i was looking at the panasonic FX 01 as well! except if you have seen the shots it produces in low light situations its crap! check out the sample shots at www.dpreview.com outdoor shots are awesome (bit better than a canon - no purple fringing and bright) and the 28mm lens allows more content to fit in a single photo. Has image stabilisation lens too

Also the battery life is really good, but ive read that the canon battery life is poor in comparison especially using the LCD.

Panasonic has no viewfinder tho - only a LCD but it seems like new cameras are moving towards that direction e.g. ixus 65

Only issue i have is that u get more shake using a LCD rather than the viewfinder

Guys

my decision

Ixus 55 - aug 2005 model, 5MP, 2.5inch LCD $385

or

Ixus 65 - March 2006 model, 6MP, 3inch LCD, no viewfinder $480

Any other options?

Edited by Romp

I had a Sony fixed twice. and never worked again :rolleyes: so they gave me a new one after a fight for 10 months

My mate had a Panasonic that died on him. These are just experience I have had.

Go to www.dpreview.com for some experiences and great reviews. :)

Eggbert_99's Canon is very nice, it can do Panoramic....nice camera indeed :)

But if you also do a lot of night & indoor shoots, Panasonic is good too because it has the Anti-shake Fuction, which reduce the chance of blur photos becos of longer exposure time.

Yah, as Eggbert said, you also have to prepair the money for a good size memory card, at least 512mb or 1G...nowdays the camera is at least 5 mega pixel, you can hardly fit any in the original card...so a memory card is somehting you have to buy as well. + you may want a pouch to protect the camera, a good one would cost $20-$30....

Eggbert_99's Canon is very nice, it can do Panoramic....nice camera indeed :)

But if you also do a lot of night & indoor shoots, Panasonic is good too because it has the Anti-shake Fuction, which reduce the chance of blur photos becos of longer exposure time.

Yah, as Eggbert said, you also have to prepair the money for a good size memory card, at least 512mb or 1G...nowdays the camera is at least 5 mega pixel, you can hardly fit any in the original card...so a memory card is somehting you have to buy as well. + you may want a pouch to protect the camera, a good one would cost $20-$30....

Already got a 1gig SD card from my last camera which died :)

so no extras ..maybe a pouch but thats peanuts

i bought an ixus i over a year ago now :D the bext camera i ever bought... even better than this flashy one i have now....

but then again, it was just a point and shoot... it didnt have as many features as my new one

canon for the win

Guys,

Interested in buying a new digital camera this month and I know a few of you are digi camera nerds:P

And what other cameras in the slim point and shoot category are worth taking a look at in the same price range? ($450 max)

Cheers

well have you decided yet ???

Guys,

Cheers

well have you decided yet ???

Yup gonna get the canon Ixus 55 coz its best value for money for my needs.

panasonic FX01 takes bad indoors and night shots

pentax a10 was worth a look but didnt get great reviews in its focus department

ixus 65 is nice but basically smae thing with half inch bigger LCD and 6mp instead of 5mp.

fuji V10 was good but heard it breaks easy