HELP: distorted lock nut key

teddy1386

well my lock nut key is distorted and rounded where it wont grip when i undo the lock nut. its the top of the lock nut key where its rounded. i've only taken two lock nuts out and changed to new ones and now i can't get out the other two.

any suggestions/ideas??

thanks

find a socket that will go over the lock nut.. just but will be tight, then smack it on lightly with a mallet. I find usually 20mm 21 or 22mm will do the job. if you get it just right you can even knocjk the lock nut out of the socket and use it on the next one... you must use a ratchet or breaker bar if put on with a rattle gun though.... been there done this many times, have a habbit of loosing lock nut keys.

find a socket that will go over the lock nut.. just but will be tight, then smack it on lightly with a mallet. I find usually 20mm 21 or 22mm will do the job. if you get it just right you can even knocjk the lock nut out of the socket and use it on the next one... you must use a ratchet or breaker bar if put on with a rattle gun though.... been there done this many times, have a habbit of loosing lock nut keys.

sick ... ill give it a go and see how it goes ...

prolly have to go somewhere and get it destroyed.

nope doesnt work .. my friend tried it with his breaker bar and ratchet and rattle gun. tried many socket sets too. :angry:

dont get angry, ive had to do it to 3 cars, always works (on datsuns at least and on corolla), but depends on the design i guess of the wheel. it has to fit tight when you smack it on, you are basically forcing it onto the lock nut. otherwise, get out your chisel and mallet and start hacking it off.

If you were in melbourne i may be able to help, or maybe not... its an old trick that has worked for many people for may years.. i got taught it from bob janes... works for them.

dont get angry, ive had to do it to 3 cars, always works (on datsuns at least and on corolla), but depends on the design i guess of the wheel. it has to fit tight when you smack it on, you are basically forcing it onto the lock nut. otherwise, get out your chisel and mallet and start hacking it off.

If you were in melbourne i may be able to help, or maybe not... its an old trick that has worked for many people for may years.. i got taught it from bob janes... works for them.

YUP !!!! :D well i brought it to some dude and he got it off for me .

he charged me $10 and was more than happy to give him ten bucks

he did wat u did and didnt work and he just tried again and got it off. took him a well ten minutes to get it off.

my lock nut broke about 1 month ago.

the lock warped

the nut screwed on like G 0 D creating cement

dont go to tyre shops they dont know anything about taking locknuts off cars apart from rattle gun

I went to 3 tyre shops and none of them knew how to take off lock nuts, i told them to get a welding machine. but they were like... wat would u know ...

(i knew i should have tried bob jane.... why do i always go to stupid kmart auto in times of need.)

method 1

get a chizel and a hammer aim at 1 side and bang it in on an 45 degree angle (not 90 degree), your trying to make a point whereby wedging the chizel into the nut and using the force of the hammering to undo the nut., very tedious *high chance of damaging rims*

method 2

find a welding guru i.e someone that does mig tig welding or something. Get a unused poll and weld the poll to the head of the nut. Weld as much as you can so that it will stick on. and now jump on the poll with your foot and it should come off.

*cover rims from the welding as obvious welding = UV rays and will damage the paint if not carefull + also to cover overspray of the welding.

Your best bet to find a place with welding gear is an exhaust shop, or metal fabrications workshop.

method 3

is the one stated by unfamilia

find a nut that is a tad bigger then your lock nut and wack it on untill its stuck then undo it with the socket.

*Best is to use a rattle gun for this method*

*Both methods 1 and 2 will DAMAGE your rims if not carefull*

cheerz hope that helps.

Edited by Mello