2006 Hilux overheating after radiator change

Martina Bling

Hi guys! I have an issue with my 2006 Hilux. Last week we changed the old radiator because it was leaking a bit due to its age but other than that it was running well. Since the new radiator has been in, the Hilux keeps overheating after just a few minutes of driving. Vehicle specs: as mentioned 2006 model, 4WD Diesel, done 313000km, KUN26R.

After we had changed the radiator and filled it up with coolant, we took it for a test run but only after a few minutes it overheated. So we thought it might be an airlock. We left it running with the heater on and filled in some more coolant. Took it for another drive but it overheated again. So we changed the thermostat but it is still overheating. There is definitely plenty of coolant in the system. What does confuse us is that it does not seem to build up a lot of pressure. After an app 15 min test run, I am still able to take off the coolant bottle cap without any spills.

Has anyone experienced an issue like that before? Or do you have any ideas what else we can do?

Cheers!

I'm not familiar with your particular engine, but I presume that after the cooling system has been opened for whatever reason, you need to bleed the air out.
I recently did the coolant flush on my Aurion 2GR-FE and it MUST be bled correctly otherwise it will overheat. The 2GR is also a stubborn engine to bleed. It took me around 20 minutes of runtime until it was fully bled.

Search up on youtube or google for a cooling system bleeding procedure and you should be ok unless someone here can chime in.

These modern cars are not like they used to be in the older days where one simply drains and fills then the system self bleeds. 

You should've done a bit of research before attempting the work just so you know what to expect.

You'll be fine. Let us know how it goes.