Engine Mounts

So I have owned my Corolla Conquest since 2003 (bought it new).  Had to change engine mounts in the past 3 years.  Had Rear Engine Mount replaced in 2021 had to get it replaced Dec 2023, and the mechanic who changed it used a cheapie from Repco I believe (12mnths warranty I've told).  They advised me the RH engine mount also needs replacing. This was changed in March 22.  

How cheaply are these made?
Should I just request genuine Toyota ones.  It seems they're just using cheap ones that don't last.

Car never seems to be the same when you take them to a mechanic these days.

So over it.

Live in Brisbane if there's any recommendations for a decent, genuine, mechanic (if that's a thing).

Thanks

Hi Anna, I feel your frustration and unfortunately most aftermarket parts available today sourced from Repco, Supercheap etc are mostly made in China. These retailers have their own in house branding which is even worse and despite having a 12 month warranty, that helps them avoid warranty because the parts usually fail after warranty has expired and then you have to waste a lot of time fighting them to get a resolution. I would avoid the house brands as they are inferior most of the time. They are cheap for a reason.

I try to source genuine Toyota parts anywhere I can find the best deals and there are plenty to choose from apart from the local dealers, which are ludicrously expensive in most cases. I cross search through Ebay, Amazon, then places like Amayama or Partsouq for Genuine Toyota parts. You also need to be aware of counterfeit parts, especially on Amazon and to a lesser degree Ebay. I've had plenty of good hunts on both. Amayama and Partsouq are always 100% Genuine parts.

If you can find a decent local mechanic or a friend of a friend who is a competent mechanic, you could source the parts yourself and just pay his labour.

The problem with going to a mechanic is that they need to source the parts for you so they can warranty the work. If you supply the parts, then you won't get warranty on those parts. You would have to instruct them to source genuine parts and then ask them where they get their Genuine Parts from. Because time is money, they need to have parts delivered in a speedy manner, so usually the local dealerships would be the only option here. But for this, you pay dearly unless the mechanic has an arrangement with them and can offer competitive pricing. 

Have your mechanic quote you one with Genuine parts and one for aftermarket.
Ask about the quality of the aftermarket parts and tell him you want OEM quality and not generic rubbish from China. OEM parts are basically parts that are made to a manufacturers standard. It either meets or exceeds the manufacturer's standard.

An example of OEM brands are like Bendix brake components, Ryco for filters, Gates for drive belts etc. These parts are as good as original and the next best option after Genuine branded components.

I can't recommend a mechanic as I live in Sydney, but hopefully others here can probably help with that one.

I wish you all he best and I hope you get it sorted soon.

Take care 🙂