Plug your mechanic

Vysmaster2

I mean plug as in "promote", I do not find my mechanic particularly attractive...   Anyway: I'm a bit mechanically minded - do my own oil changes and understand the basics of mechanical engineering however I'm past the stage where I want to do much more than oil changes.  Also in my spare time I teach kids to drive (L2P program).  Many of these young drivers2be are not mechanically inclined, will be buying a cheap old vehicle and are TOTALLY at the mercy of their mechanic.    I'm constantly looking for recommendations.  Obviously these kids don't have a lot of money but I'm not looking for a bargain or even a discount.  For them and for me, I want to know that what you paid for is actually done, and they only do what's needed.   Let me give you some recent examples: 

Example 1: A Werribee motorcycle dealership charged me $400 to do a valve clearance check on my bike.  They managed to do it without removing the tank o the tappet cover. (there was a thin film of dust over the engine.  They didn't even bother to wipe it.   & when I took the tank off there was the familiar "crack" of bolts releasing which have not been disturbed since assembly). 

Example 2:  I drove an hour out of Melbourne to bring our Rav4 to a country Toyota dealership which had a good reputation for vehicle services.  The service cost $1400.00.  (100,000km).   When I checked the oil it was 2.5cm ABOVE the full mark.    I would have accepted "oops", an apology and an assurance that there was sufficient clearance between the crank and the sump oil level in these particular engines that it shouldn't have done any damage.  Instead the service manager dismissed my concerns telling me that he'd known engines filled to the point where oil was coming out of the dip-stick hole and it still ran OK and did no damage.    Either the service manager is a complete idiot or he thinks I am.  Either way I don't want him in charge of work on my car again. 

Anyway: Who's your mechanic?  What made you trust them? How competent/knowledgeable do you think they are?

Thanks , I am very happy to plug my mechanic and his awesome team.

I am located on the Central Coast of NSW and he is now based in Morrisett. JOHN DALE MOTORS.

Anyone who is down this way I would recommend them for any service or mechanical work.

I am a very fussy man when it comes to who touches our 2009 Toyota Aurion Presara called "Faye" as she is a classy beautiful car.

Thanks for the opportunity to give them a plug.

KAA

• Like 1