Remote turbo mount?

I was browsing newcelica.org website last night, and I read a post regarding this remote turbo mount. What it meant by remote, is the turbo is not on the engine bay, but its after the catalytic converter and in most application (or probably all) it pratically replaces the muffler.

I thought "WOW"

http://www.ststurbo.com <--- this is where you guys can have a read about it, they even have Australian office too.

Okay, not gonna be debating and please don't start debate, let it be a good ol' discussion of knowledge here. Some say it works on big cc car, but they have integra type R running this turbo set up and show mad horsepower results (magazine review).

As far as I know (and i am not a turbo expert here, I'm learning), turbo needs heat for the air to expand and make the turbo spool. The closer to the engine the faster compressed air charges in. This set up break that rule due to their remote mounting - far from engine results less heat and longer airpath. Yet they claim there is no lag. Results are posted on that website.

Now if this thing truly works, the benefit is that you don't have to make turbo manifold at all and you don't have to face heat problem inside engine bay (remember Petir celica? It melts the steering racks due to heat problem due to heat problem). Arguebly, you probably ended up spending less for a turbo set up.

How cool.

Interesting stuff. I've seen similar concept in use on V8's with stealth twin turbo installation but never seen this used on a small engine.

I was under that same understanding that you want the turbine close to the engine for better turbo response (Due to gas travelling faster when it's hotter).

If these claims are true, it can only be all good. The longer distance from the turbo to the intake also means that the air would have more distance to cool down, so in theory a smaller intercooler would suffice.

EDIT: Actually after reading they state you don't need an intercooler at all.

Edited by IZZ-FE

Another thing I thought could be possible is, well, no matter what the turbo spools due to the exhaust gas. It may not be as hot, but nonetheless there is hot air pushing the turbine. I guess the trick here is appropriate turbo size.

Now how quickly can air travel back to the engine remains a question to me because they said the lag is no different than engine mount turbo set up. This is on Integra Type R.

I guess the problem here is that the turbo is too exposed. But nothing a shielding cannot do I guess. So goes for the intake to the turbo, shielding can be done.

Hey, looks like there's enough room on corolla to rear mount a turbo :P

hey danz,

interesting find .... ive been looking through the website .... reading and watching all the material and it sounds like they have the theory side of things down pat ... and obviously they have done it and have it running on car so it must work ....

I wonder though if this mod would fit on the corolla ... i started thinking back to when i had the car up on the hoist recently and im struggling to think of how u would run the piping back to connect to the throttle body ....

the other part is the situation of the torsion beam on the corolla .... i would imagine this is going to pose an interesting way of trying to run things for this setup as effectively from their flash preso they just replace the end part of ur exhaust so for us i would imagine its the connection junction going over the torsion beam .... Again running piping from here 2 the throttle body sounds interesting ....

A very interesting find and an excellent read .... that being said this place is 2 mins down the road from me so i might have 2 pay them a visit n c what this is all about ... i might even take some pictures of under the car n c wat they have 2 say as from memory there aint much room under there .....

cheers

Bill

I talked to my friend yesterday about this turbo system, and his friend did a similar set up where the turbo is way back and it does work. This is on Ford falcon I think.

If you guys heard of XS Engineering over in the USA, their Matrix turbo system is actually rear-mount, and the turbo is after the turbo manifold, not directly bolted on the turbo manifold itself. Its almost like, bolting in turbo after your standard header - but the turbo header is shorter. I check my engine bay and yeah, seems like it can be fitted that way where the tunnel before the cat is, u can put small turbo there me think. I wonder if u can put in adapter for the turbo where your downpipe is before the cat. Well, I guess standard header won't be able to cope with it.

However, our fellow member, MAP81 who is about there for his turbo (Quickly dammit) told me similar set up to XS Engineering would be a hassle for us right hand driver to place piping for intercooler - I'm thinking the steering rack is on the way.

Nonetheless, the aus branch is in Sydney, so you guys in Sydney may find this worthwhile visiting to know more about it.

By the way, if they REALLY can make it work for B18C DC2R engine, no reason why this won't work on 2ZZ-GE. From this point, i just put it as higher output engine is suitable for this set-up. Not so sure about 1zz-fe.