Audio Help

Brad!

Hey just seeing if you guys could steer me in the right direction

Im looking at upgrading the stock system in the corolla and was going to get some oppinions and ideas

Now to start with ill tell you a few things to give you a rough idea what i am after

Looking to spend around $1000, allowing $400 for the headunit

Not looking for top range SQ, nor SPL, rather just something that produces a nice deep sound, and at the same time, able to hit a high note

The majority of the music i do listen to is Hip Hop and RnB, maybe that will give an idea of what i am after

I have my eyes set on 3 headunits, now please add some to the list, one around 400, give or take a bit

Alpine CDA-9856 4x45w $380ish

Pioneer DEH-P6850MP 4x50w $390ish

Kenwood KDC MP8029 ??? $420ish

As for the speakers

I am only after one 12" sub, as this is all i think i need. Going to use a 2ch amp, some have sugested a mono block, but think just stick with 2ch

I got a quote for 300 ish for a 2ch Alpine amp, no idea what type, but im sure someone knows which alpine 2ch comes around 300, there prob aint that many

Finnaly the sub. Only looked at alpine, which again got quoted 300 ish, in alpine box and all

Now here is where i really would like you guys to help me

are the head units i have chosen, good, bad, whatever

Amps, brands, just 2ch

Sub, what brand, stick with the 12

Again i listen to hip hop, RnB, budget around 1000$ and looking for HU, 12" and 2ch Amp

Thakyou in advanced, to anyone that is willing to give me there 2 cents

Thanks

Brad

hey brad,

check this out ..

http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/forums/index.php

alot of info there ... reviews too ... just more from an audio prespective ...

I listen to alot of rnb too and I prefer 2 X 10" subs over 1 x 12"...

different sounds.... its not just what you listen too .... But ... how you like your sounds ..

its a top forum ...

Hey man thanks for the quick reply

Sore that site before, was a bit to generalised tho, well im sure everything is there, but too lazy to find it

Just wanted to hear from other corolla owners, and other audio genius's what they thought

So 2x10s better then the one 12 you think??? what brand you sugest

Also can some one tell me whats the diff between

$400 alpine unit, pretty basic, bottomish range

$400 pioneer unit, pretty high end, near top of there range

are you paying for the name or much more then that!!!

I can understand speakers being alot different, but can someone tell me a bit more in depth, more to do with the headunit

and also, ALPINE 12/2x10's or another brand

I ask you, which brand

sorrry about all the typos, my eyes are dead

thanks jas for the quick reply!!!

ok .. well i'll tell you what I have ...

I have a JVC Exad touch screen HU

JVC G series Amp

and 2 JVC 10" subs ...

ok ... slightly baised ... but I like my JVC products ...

and very happy with my sounds ...

bass is punchy and crisp ... im not a fan of the burbling bass

Also .. try searching with the model numbers .. maybe quicker !

yer ill research a bit more, but just wanted un biased opinion on

base alpine

more top of range pioneer

both round 400$, which would you go for, why?

sorry for all the questions, but just want to get whats best

well unbaised ..

id go for the alpine ... only coz ive had 2 pioneer hu play up on me ...

but for $400 .. its really much of a muchness .... unless you double the $$ then you venture in to the high range stuff ..

at the $400 mark I doubt anyone could pick the difference in sound ...

well the pioneer one seems to look alot nicer, more GUI type thing, and i didnt think SQ would be too noticable, but srsly anything is better then stock

But with subs

dont no 12 or 2 10s but go with a higher end brand to be on the safe side?

Everyone has their own distinct taste in brand and qualilty. Everyone has different listening qualities. What I'm saying is head down to a few audio stores (even if it being Strathfield) and have a personal listen.

In terms of your budget, you can't go pass Pioneer. Absolute bang for your buck. Headunits produce a very clean sound and products are well perceived.

Pioneer 6850 is perfect choice. I see them for $350 at JB? Or was it 5850, I forgot.

The Alpine Type R's (12") are only 199rrp now, best bang for your buck sub on the market atm I would say. So grab them as well and run em off a GM7200M or Alpine M450 V series one. Both mono amps. Get a 2ch one later for your upgraded splits in the future.

*edited* just realised you didnt want new splits...

Thanks for the quick replies

Yer a place in sydney, Audio sound and visual at castle hill said 200 for the sub pluss 99 for an alpine box

But with getting the pioneer HU, should i go with a alpine amp, or pioneer

sorry for being such a noob at the audio stuff!

Hey, we were all noobs at some stage :)

Personally, I'd go with a matching sub/amp combination since they were manufactured to work with each others specification to push them to their full potential. Alpine sub, Alpine amp. Pioneer sub, Pioneer amp. Some people like to mix and match. Either one, you can't go wrong. They will push enough power.

i didnt read what you said too carefully, but you say you're just after a 2 ch amp and sub/subs (+head unit)?

... are you doing anything up front? like will you be running a set of splits up front for your mid/high end, and a set of subs?

if you're going to amp up a set of subs, i wouldnt do that with the stock speakers... i'd get a 4 channel amp, and buy a pair of splits and run them off the front 2 channels, and then buy 2x10s or 1x12 sub and run them off the rears...

people will laugh, but Jaycar's "response" brand makes REALLY good stuff for the price...

i have a response 4x100RMS amp and its always been really good and produced a good sound. to be honest unless you're dealing with top end audio equimpent, an amp is an amp...

im also running a pair of response kevlar splits. if you go to caraudioaustralia and read the reviews, you'll see for $150, they are awesome bang for buck, running up with your focals and MB quartz speakers which cost 4x as much... i love them, and they produce a VERY clear sound...

... thats just what i recommend as far as an audio setup goes... dont just do your bass, cos you wont hear your mid/high end with stock speakers that are just running off the head unit...

... as far as head units go... i would recommend the alpine of those brands you mentioned, but check out JVC headunits... they are GREAT head units for the price. they have heaps of features, decent sound quality, and they all look very impressive and are priced much lower than alpine etc...

for headdecks, i personally feel at the moment JVC headdecks are absolutly killing it.. giga mp3 and dvd etc.. and your looking at around 400-500 currently im running a system that is mainly pioneer,coustic and jl audio which is out of the budget scheme.. but for your combo i'd look at something like

jvc headdeck of some description - they are good for what you pay

jl sub or kicker sub if you can get

and save a little and go coustic amp.. (never had a problem and they put out the same as kicker amps minus price)

JVC KD-DV7205 ~$480

Plays EVERYTHING (GigaMP3, WMA, DVD, DivX and more, plus has a USB port)

As mentioned above, best bang for buck (and excellent reliability), the Response range will do you justice.

I've stuck with my 2x150WRMS amp for almost 3 years now and it hasn't missed a bit. No blown fuses either. :)

also some of the JVC units have the SD card which is pretty cool ... for a quick update in music ...

Brad - Have you been convinced to go JVC yet .. hehehehheheheh

and yes ... JL subs are tops aswell .... ive got 2 X 10" of those as well ... they pump much harder than the JVC ones

Yer im certinally geting pushed towards JVC..

But with what tom said about the splits, yer i know without any splits, just using the stock speakers wont sound as good, but i do remember hearing my friends corolla which had kenwood HU running a 12" sony sub, and it sounded really nice, yer the bass drowned out the rest a bit, but still did an awesome job.

Def going to look into JVC and maby stick with 12" type R alpine sub, but will look around

Thanks for all the help guys, but keep the sugestions coming

Hahaha hey i betcha u wont use the stockies for long once you got a system u will want more quality and bigger sounds. Why not try a Rockford sub, alpine type Rs are also good. I have Heard DD subs out play the Alpines and they go for around 300ish. From what ive heard Pioneer HU arent that good, even though i like them, but i personally a Kenwood fan, alot show car friends of mine also agree Kenwoods are good.

Right now im still trying to finish off my system, and hopefully i will get it done by the next meet, keke i will play some music for you guys. :P