broken aerial

MT

OUCH!!!!

Man sorry to hear about that.

Looks like it was just some little $h17s vandelising cars since you still have your areal.

Man these punks $h1t me somthing servere. Friggin $h1ts need the $h17 kicked out of them. A.D.D my @ss ill fix them!!! FIX THEM ALL!!!!!! :angry::angry::angry:

It looks like you might need a whole new base. You could probably get one from Toyota directly but I would call a couple of wreckers and get it from there. It would be way way cheaper.

You could also remove the base part and have the shark fin areal. You can get it from eBay for about 20 odd dollars but the reception wont be as good. Dave (YDOIT4) has one of thesem looks really good. :D

It looks like you might need a whole new base. You could probably get one from Toyota directly but I would call a couple of wreckers and get it from there. It would be way way cheaper.

nah dude i got a base... many.... but how do u get the old one off? remove the hood lining? i got no idea... how is it connected on? does anyone know?

I think the rubber just pulls out. It doesn't seem to be bolted in there. I've noticed that it raises a little when I clean it with just a small amount of force. Practice on one of the wrecks 1st though Mick to see just how it's done... no point trying on your car and really breaking something.

nah dude i got a base... many.... but how do u get the old one off? remove the hood lining? i got no idea... how is it connected on? does anyone know?

PM YDOIT4 he's taken the whole thing off he'd be the best person to talk to as hes got the experience :)

"nah dude i got a base... many.... but how do u get the old one off? remove the hood lining? i got no idea... how is it connected on? does anyone know?"

Dude... ask dad. Hahaha

Edited by Tayles

I'm 100% sure it needs the roof lining removed so you can get access to the nut, it was in my repair quote.

I hope you can fix it, I had a rollerdoor lowered on my roof and this piece is $270 from memory. I'd prefer buy a rear lip with that money.

Eitherway, try to protect the circuit board asap. It's there as an amplifier/filter for the radio and it's clearly the reason the part's so expensive. While you're fixing it I'd love some hi-res scan/photos of it. I've got my amateur radio licence and what exactly they've put inside makes me curious every now and then.

As for fixing it, you may wanna check out the "Clear USB Drive" repair/hack at http://www.tcnj.edu/~jones37/usb.html

This guy goes thru a quick how-to, using a 'clear casting resin'. You could take a mould and get a coloured resin, either repair what you've got or remake it and change its shape (add a fin-edge at the front or something), add some glitter :D or spray it.

Otherwise, you can get one of those TV antennas you stick under the edge of your rooflining. The TV ones cover FM radio fine. Last one I saw was $27, but it's nothing more than a correctly measured piece of wire (see antenna link below) encased in a rigid plastic.

This system uses 2 antennas for 'diversity' (auto chooses better signal, more $$$) http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/bottomfo...rtvantenna.html

GHETTO option:

Antenna $3.30: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LT3002

Balun $3.65: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LT3022

Balun makes antenna characteristics closer to what the radio expects.

well when it comes to getting that aerial fixed i know that when i pulled mine apart the chip was elevated on a metal base that was about 2cm off the car roof with a small metal pole in the middle going into the car which most likely has the wiring that goes into the car stereo

Now i have pics of it all pulled apart and the look of the shark fin after wards that a few guys want pics of but i dont know how to add to the net if one of u guys give me the means to get it on the net to post up i will attatch

hang on ill try and attach the pic at the add this attachment hehe :blink:post-1323-1152602578_thumb.jpg

yea i can attatch the pics ok im going to add all of the pics i took

post-1323-1152602663_thumb.jpgpost-1323-1152602686_thumb.jpg

ok next post more pics

i cant add any other attachments <_< <_< thats my limit so if anyone knows where i can post the rest i can show u all of the others there is about 6 or so more ones before the shark fin and after its on :)

Drop the hood lining and you'll see that it's held down with a nut on the under side of the roof. just a pain that you have to drop all the hood lining and side panels to do it.