My brakes are grinding

I recently changed my brakes pads to EBC Green stuff (<1 month ago), and initially everything worked fine. Car stopped really well. (Brakes rotors/calipers have never been changed)

However its now starting to make grinding sounds when i brake. Problem is that its not doing it all the time, rather every so often. The car still stops like normal, but the grinding sound worries me.

The only weird ive done to the car was 1 week after i changed my brakes, i noticed the wheels getting really dusty, so i cleaned the rims with some tissue and water, and I used water to rinse it. Being at night and relatively cold, when i poured the water on the rims some must have splashed onto the brakes, and i noticed steam coming out of it for about <1 minute. Now i didnt even drive / brake hard I had only drive about 3km.

Could this have contributed to what im experiencing... and what am i experiencing? Any ideas what causes the grinding sound on brakes?

Edited by neK

I recently changed my brakes to EBC Green stuff (<1 month ago), and initially everything worked fine. Car stopped really well.

However its now starting to make grinding sounds when i brake. Problem is that its not doing it all the time, rather every so often. The car still stops like normal, but the grinding sound worries me.

The only weird ive done to the car was 1 week after i changed my brakes, i noticed the wheels getting really dusty, so i cleaned the rims with some tissue and water, and I used water to rinse it. Being at night and relatively cold, when i poured the water on the rims some must have splashed onto the brakes, and i noticed steam coming out of it for about <1 minute. Now i didnt even drive / brake hard I had only drive about 3km.

Could this have contributed to what im experiencing... and what am i experiencing? Any ideas what causes the grinding sound on brakes?

Hey mate, my car's breaks were recently remachined and the break pads were changed. I experienced the same problems with the grinding sound. I took my car back to the service centre and they changed the break pads. No more grinding now :D

Maybe it's the new break pads for u too??

Hey mate, my car's breaks were recently remachined and the break pads were changed. I experienced the same problems with the grinding sound. I took my car back to the service centre and they changed the break pads. No more grinding now :D

Maybe it's the new break pads for u too??

Nah, it wouldnt be.

I didnt machine my brakes.

I just got the brake pads changed, nothing else. I was watching the guy when he did it.

I heard from my old mechanic that when you change your brake pads you must machine your discs.

The reason why is the surface of a new disc and brake pad is smooth. However with normal wear and tear the disc surface becomes worn and uneven.

When you put new brake pads in, because the brake pad surface is smooth and the brake disc surface isnt, the whole brake pad surface isnt making full contact like it would to a smooth surface. This can cause areas of the brake pad to overheat.

That may contribute to that heat issue you were having.

thats not true, toyota have put in new rotors for me and it does the same thing, when the car is coming to a halt right?

:S it happens after some braking but i have no idea why its doing it too, im still using the factory brake pads

mine does the same with the stock pads. Started around 12K though, and I have slight shudder when initially applying brakes at higher speeds 80km-100km. Ive got my 30K service coming, up so i hope they fix it then cuz Toyota didnt do jack at my 20K.

Greenstuff pads are good at chewing discs.

racing pad thats why. I know in SA they were used on the Alfas,fiats in the stock car racing

Have u tried calling the guy who installed the pads for u and asking him what might b the problem?? I noticed my breaks were grinding at lower speeds especially wen i was about to stop but once they changed the break pads to another brand (dont know what they are now) the grinding sound went away.

mine does the same with the stock pads. Started around 12K though, and I have slight shudder when initially applying brakes at higher speeds 80km-100km. Ive got my 30K service coming, up so i hope they fix it then cuz Toyota didnt do jack at my 20K.

I think you need to machine your rotors....had the same problem with my other car, but it would shake like crazy. After machining it was all fine. BTW wouldn't toyota swap your rotors in this case...?

I think you need to machine your rotors....had the same problem with my other car, but it would shake like crazy. After machining it was all fine. BTW wouldn't toyota swap your rotors in this case...?

Is this covered under warranty? Will Toyota swap it for free?