Wrongfully Defected?

Just found this on RTA's road rules

FOG LIGHTS

Front and rear fog lights must only be used in fog or

rain, or when conditions such as smoke and dust limit

your vision. It is a legal requirement that once

conditions improve and you can see more clearly, the

front and rear fog lights are switched off.

If your vehicle is not fitted with fog lights you may use

your headlights during the day in these adverse

conditions.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downlo...ruh_english.pdf

But then i find this here

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/safer...sues/index.html

Daytime running lights

By simply using daytime running lights (DRL's), the visibility of your car is increased substantially to both pedestrians and other drivers.

It is necessary however that the correct lights be used. Fog lights and high beam are inappropriate and parking lights ineffective whilst driving. Until specially designed DRLs are installed, low beam headlights are the most effective way to make your vehicle more visible.

A recent NRMA report has found that DRLs could prevent a quarter of all fatal daylight collisions and more than a quarter of fatal daytime pedestrian accidents.

A combination of a light coloured vehicle and turning your low beam headlights on during the day will make it easier for other road users to not only see you but also to better judge the distance between themselves and your vehicle. This equates to less risky manoeuvres being undertaken.

In Italy it's law that if you drive on any highway/freeway/tollway, you must have you headlights on. It's a good idea, makes everyone much more visible. Whenever I travel on dark tree lined roads or along mountain passes my headlights are on (Or foglights at least).

My personal opinion (Which is different to what the law specifies) is that a true 'Fog Light' has yellow bulbs, otherwise it's just another 'white light just like your headlights.

Next time you drive in fog, check how much more visible the few cars fitted with true yellow fog lights are through the fog in comparison to those with white fog lights such as those fitted to Corolla's. Also when not driving in fog, look at the glare that comes from the yellow ones and compare it to the non-existent glare coming from regular fog lights fitted to most cars these days.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "fog lights" for a sportivo are not brighter than the standard driving lights..

therefore i can not call them foglights....they in no way endager other traffic...as they are not bright enough...but then they also improve my vision of the road..

that is my argumment anyway...

plus..i have driven past..been pulled over for breath tests....and even pulled up in a servo right behind a highway patrol car while he was filling up with my foglights on.....and not once have they said anything to me..

*touch wood*

Unfortunately it's not about bright/not bright lights or yellow/white lights. If the spec sheet for your car states your car has "fog" lights then it has fog lights - end of story.

Whether or not the coppa finese you is their perogative.

They've been cracking down on the fog lights in Sydney the last month or so (instant $75 fine if not required due to the weather conditions). I warned people about this at the last meet but people still chose to ignore the warning I gave... oh well... I hope people learn from your mistake...

LOL Dylan you were just talking about this last meet!! Not Good!

*guess i wont be getting foggies for my car* :ph34r:

Laws Suck!

Sorry to hear that!!

Damn bro thats a bit harsh of them?!

What did u do moments before that they came after you?

foggies are not allowed to be used in suburban areas, only outback country areas.

Been pulled up before in my n14 sss pulsar

and so have i in my sportivo.... thats why i took em out..

unfortunately according to the handbook it's call "front fog light" (p94 on facelift handbook)

Sportiv, it's in the handbook. It's classified as a fog light contrary to how bright it is.

To be deemed a 'FOG LIGHT' they have to be white or yellow in colour,symmetrically placed and facing downwards with the highest point no higher than the beam of the headlight. The 'FOG LIGHT' beam is also NOT to be faced inwards.

I remember this almost word for word when I fought my ticket for using them. In my old Lancer, I had fitted them and was actually using them in foggy conditions one night on the bald hills flat, I was fined for 'Allowing Additional Headlamps To Be Lit'. I believe the fine was about $150.00 with no points.

At Court, the judge read me this description of 'Fog Lights' (remembering this is back in 1996 before evey dude and hi ruggy had them on their cars).

My lights were deemed to be 'white' facing in a downwards/outwards direction and lit during adverse condiond.

My fine was revoked and nothing recorded.

BTW - I understand that DPL's are lamps whith no manual control to disable to lights (like a Volvo headlight)

I think the law was put in place when every damn Hyundai excel driver was blinding the people behind them with the rear red 'foglight'. :P

I love driving with my front 'Fog lights' on they are great at lighting up the side view and complement the headlights in the Camry really well.

When others have them on I find the light less invasive than a headlight.

Rear fog lights are evil , except in fog. ;)

I think the law was put in place when every damn Hyundai excel driver was blinding the people behind them with the rear red 'foglight'. :P

I love driving with my front 'Fog lights' on they are great at lighting up the side view and complement the headlights in the Camry really well.

When others have them on I find the light less invasive than a headlight.

Rear fog lights are evil , except in fog. ;)

In Sydney

You: "but it looks real cool officer !! "

Officer 1 to Officer 2: "Fine his ***** !"

Do they have fog light rules in Perth ?

I love driving with my front 'Fog lights' on they ... complement the headlights in the Camry really well.

I hope you never ever say this to a cop that pulls you over for having your foggies on.

He'd call you a ***** as he rips a hole in your pocket :lol:

I've driven 3 years with my front 'fog' lights on at night and haven't been pulled over for it... This thread has gotten me paranoid now, and I've turned mine off.

Has anyone noticed the blind spot on the driver 's side front A pillar ? :(

I've driven 3 years with my front 'fog' lights on at night and haven't been pulled over for it... This thread has gotten me paranoid now, and I've turned mine off.

Then you have been one lucky, annoying ***** then ! :lol:

Then you have been one lucky, annoying ***** then ! :lol:

I've never had anyone flash their high beams at me for having them on. I've been breathalised at night and the police didn't say anything about it. But I'm sure if I had a sports exhaust and some 18inch mags I might draw some attention. :D

I think the wattage on the fog lights is 55w from memory. Anybody care to correct me on this???? I could be wrong :P

I think your right Bren

i agree with SB, has anyone actually pulled out their foglight bulbs before?? i'm assuming not, so i'll let u all know that the bulbs are HB4's, in other words HIGH BEAM. therefore brighter than normal lights, therefore illegal.

but i still drive with mine on :P

I vaguely remember pulling mine out once ages ago for Northy and was sure they were 55w

Will check wednesday when I am messing around with my car....