my car battery blew up

damn MONDAY is ALWAYS a BAD day!!

i was leaving the shopping centre and ran over the HUMP during the exit. Straight after the 1st hump my stero stopped and the whole car stalled.. i opened the bonnet and saw smoke and boiling water was leaking outside of my BOSCH battery... mainly from the top.

now ive changed it to a similar size battery from Champion from Big W and the car started ok again.

have anyone experience this? I have one of these Pivot Raizin voltage Stabilizer stuff.... will this thing cause my battery to blow up? Do you think I can still use this on my new battery?

I got acidic liquid all over the car! I know i should clean it, but with what?

and also... im sooooo worried whether the liquid got into the engine since the battery was right next to the air tube...

man!! those people didnt even help pushhing my car to side, they even took pic of my car...... <_< <_<

sigh... BAD DAY!!!

OK, sounds like your Battery wasn't fitted tightly, Ie Bracket Loose, and when you have hit the hump, the top of the battery has shorted on the bonnet.

Clean the acid off immediately, don't touch it on skin, will burn.

Get some good gloves, clean it off using a cloth, so it doesn't go on anything else, then with the remnants, pressure wash it off.

Afterwards I'd probably use some prepsol to make sure everything was off, but get a mate or someone to check it out to make sure that the acid hasn't eaten through anything.

Voltage stabiliser should be ok? Unsure on this.

Shouldn't be lasting damage.

Edit: Beaten.

Edited by Donza

i just bought one of those engine degreaser stuff... can i just spray that stuff onto (around) the battery and rinse it off with water?

i know that my battery isnt fitted SUPER tight!! i always wanted to go to the meet to see how the others attach the battery!!! coz the metal thing which is used to hold down the battery is pretty loose... i dont know where the screw is hooked onto...

BUT im very sure that the battery cant reach my bonnet.. although its now 100% tight.. its tight enough for me to drive like a year like this...... everyday i need to go pass >20 humps to leave/return home....... Xoom knows it too.. :P

anyway... at 1st i wiped the water with my hand... thought it was water!!!

i hope it wont eat thru the tubes and all..

the voltage crap nearly melted cause of that!!!

Edited by XploShun

I wouldn't use a pressure wash on your engine bay after it has been splashed with battery acid. The paint is already thin enough in the bay, pressure washing it will most likely take the paint off.

took me 1 hour cleaning and disconnecting the stuff..

o man... i havent done this much of cleaning for a LONG LONG time......

lets hope this new battery will last longer...

but i was a little too late to clean it...

some pipes and metal have already... like melted a bit..

even my phone... some plastic parts have melted... coz i touched the liqiuds with my hand and made plenty of calls.....

damn, my hands are tough... hahahha

Battery in my Sportivo only lasted 2.5 years before it died. Started the car at 76ACC's Mazda dealership and drove to Channel 9(wife's work) and parked in the car park which is a distance of about 3k's and car wouldn't start. It just dropped a cell that quickly it didn't have enough guts to start the car.

They just don't make them to last anymore.....

My car is a bit over 3 years old, done about 79000. I have had no problems whatsoever. Haven't even replaced it yet, I did drain it a couple of times cause I forgot to turn the map lights off :huh:. I'm still using the original battery. Have you guys done any kind of electronic installations in your car? Stereo??

Cheers

soundz like the dell laptopz batteriez problem... is this serious enough to contact toyota bout doing a recall or something?

FREE NEW REPLACEMENT BATTERIES FOR ALL!!! WOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!

soundz like the dell laptopz batteriez problem... is this serious enough to contact toyota bout doing a recall or something?

FREE NEW REPLACEMENT BATTERIES FOR ALL!!! WOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!

I had no idea Toyota was using lithium ion batteries manufactured by sony... :rolleyes:

If they are breaking down within say 2 years, then maybe it deserves a mention. But with batteries these days its a bit of hit or miss...I have a system in my rolla as well and so far have no problems. By the way is the voltage stabilizer you talking about is simply a upgrade of your current cars grounding system?

After talking to my battery supplier for work he has told me that most factory fitted batteries will only last for about 3 odd years. Toyota will warrant a battery from memory for the first 12 months if it's a faulty battery or if a fault with the cars electrical system it may be longer. Azza had his replaced this year due to a faulty alternator.

• 7 months later...

OMG!! :(

i think new my battery is leaking too!!! i saw some water marks on top of my battery (rain water?).

also i think the acid has eaten thru my battery holder!

DEFINITELY needs changing. what are they called? and how much are they?

dsc01434wf0.jpg

I was forced to attach the ballast onto the battery coz i dont have a CAI

and the acid is starting to eat thru the ballast! :o

what should i do?

change the battery? or empty some of the water inside the battery? if so, how can i do it? suck it out using a straw? :lol:

i filled it up with distill water a few weeks ago

im thinking whether i should remove the ballast and just be a 1 eyed rolla until the problem is solved

help needed...

sigh.... only had it for like 7 and 8 months

Edited by XploShun

def get urself a dry cell ..... with all ur bad luck and time tryin to sort this out u could have bought 2 dry cells by now ..... had down to batteryworld @ top ryde which is only up the road from u and get urself a dekka dry cell battery .....

hmmm

ive did a search on those dry cell battery..

they cost around $3xx!

i dont have sub, amp and all.. just the stock unit.

so do i need it?

should i empty the water in the battery?

or

can anyone recommend a reliable brand?

does anyone know what that METAL BATTERY HOLDER call?

Bill already recommended one.

Seriously with all the crap you've been through, $3xx is worth the investment.

You dont want to be getting all sorts of acidic crap on your fingers.

$3xx for assurance is well worth it (and well if it happens again, then theres definitely something wrong with your car!).

Edited by neK

mate the deka etx20l set me back a few dollars over 200 like 210 i think i cant remember ....

its smaller than a stock battery .... and also puts out more cold crank amps than the stock battery .....

if u go out to batteryworld get him to measure ur current battery and the deka and see for yourself ....

its the odessy's that are way over priced ..... the only thing is if u get this battery or any of the other smaller ones your going to need to DIY a bracket / housing so the battery can sit in it .... heres a pic of the battery ...

58a5_1_b.JPG

and here is a pic of what ive done

10.jpg

Yup i got the same one as bill... another vote for this battery

and it has no problem giving juice to my 950watt RMS sound sys :clap:

But when getting one u need to remem that this is a VERY small battery and the brackets they give u at batteryworld dont work properly in our cars. (at least the ones i got).

so the best way to securely fasten the battery (using the orginal batt. brace) is to wield an extension bracket -compliments to CES. this way the batt. can still sit on the original tray and have ZERO movement.

the pic below shows the non-turbo config. ;)

dsc05502wm1.jpg

and u wont even notice it looking from the top

dsc05497th5.jpg