The Definition of Conflict of Interest

RedLiner

A conflict of interest is a situation in which someone in a position of trust, such as a lawyer, a politician, or an executive or director of a corporation, has competing professional or personal interests. Such competing interests can make it difficult to fulfill his or her duties impartially. Even if there is no evidence of improper actions, a conflict of interest can create an appearance of impropriety that can undermine confidence in the ability of that person to act properly in his/her position.

In the legal profession, the duty of loyalty owed to a client is generally supposed to preclude an attorney (or a law firm) from representing persons with interests adverse to those of the client. As perhaps the most common example encountered by the general public, the same firm will not represent both parties in a divorce case.

More generally, conflict of interest can be defined as any situation in which an individual or corporation (either private or governmental) is in a position to exploit a professional or official capacity in some way for their personal or corporate benefit.

Having a conflict of interest is not, in and of itself, evidence of wrongdoing. In fact, for many professionals, it is virtually impossible to avoid having conflicts of interest from time to time. A conflict of interest can, however, become a legal matter if an individual tries (and/or succeeds in) influencing the outcome of a decision, for personal benefit.

There often is confusion over these two situations. Someone accused of a conflict of interest may deny that a conflict exists because he/she did not act improperly. In fact, a conflict of interest does exist even if there are no improper acts as a result of it. (One way to understand this is to use the term "conflict of roles". A person with two roles - an individual who owns stock and is also a government official, for example - may experience situations where those two roles conflict. The conflict can be mitigated - see below - but it still exists. In and of itself, having two roles is not illegal, but the differing roles will certainly provide an incentive for improper acts in some circumstances.)

:ph34r::ph34r:

Have you raised the issue with them directly????

If you have and you didn't like the response, have you contacted the Forum Administrators....???

The reason I ask is that, as per my comment in the other post, I really do not like it when people make threads taking a stab like this at people publicly when there has been no avenue of reconcilliation done privatley...

I can tell you now, I have a funny feeling I know which 2 moderators you are talking about, and I am good friends with both of them, and I sincerely do not believe that there is any said conflict of interest going on.....

But as I said, my advice ois always to raise these concerns with the people direclty, privatly, first....

I am not trying to be a prick about it, just trying to show some leadership and maturity....

Cheers

Aaron

REASONS WHY THINGS LIKE THIS ARE NOT DONE PRIVATELY ON THIS FORUM:

1) IF DONE PRIVATELY, IT WILL GET IGNORED.

2)SECURITY- IF DONE PRIVATELY ONE RUNS THE RISK OF GETTING BANNED FOR NO REASON...HENCE NOT PROVIDING AN OPPORTUNITY TO PRESENT ONES CASE...IF ITS DONE PUBLICLY OTHER MEMBERS CAN VIEW THE EVIDENCE FOR THEMSELVES AND DECIDE WHETHER THE MODERATORS ACTIONS WERE APPROPRIATE.

Remeber the Forum Administrators can see all. If you get banned for no reason for addressing the issue, I am sure Steve can pick that up....

PS - Can you please stop writing everything in captals....

Steve is regularly through here checking things out, and any specific queries can always be PM'd to him. I know he answers all of them (he has never not answered mine when I send him one)....

Cause he is in the UK, he is often not online at the same time as the rest of us....

I wouldn't neccessarily say that the Mods need to resign their posts, because I personally can not see any problems.

Like I said, I can assure you that there is no gain (or conflict of interest if that term is your preferred) on their part for the comments and suggestions that they make....

I think i speak for a larger % of the TOCAU population ...

WTF ????

Seriously .....

dont like whats going on here ?? go away then ...

like it ??? then stay ... no one is holding a gun to your head .

why do ppl care about who does what or says what ..

no one is forcing anyone to buy anything they dont want to .. or do anything they dont want to .. .

again ... conflict of interest ?? WTF ????

:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

ill second jason's motion...

wtf?

weird little roundabout ways of having a go at someone is just retarded. if you have a problem, then just do the sensible thing and leave... having a go at someone like that isnt going to solve anything... they're not going to back down from their positions. we jsut elected new mods, and theyre doing a good job, as are the rest...

we go through this every few weeks these days... just get over it. whinging on the forum just promotes a crap image and we dont want it... if your issue is THAT big, then leave!

again ... conflict of interest ?? WTF ????

I think he found a text book and started typing :lol:

seriously man.. relax.. u sound frustrated all the time.. maybe u need to get laid :whistling: or watch F1, it'll be back on this week (at sane hours i might add) :yahoo:

I believe the word you are looking for george is "Fiduciary Duty"

I'll stand down if u want.... not that im standing up at the moment

hahah .. yeah micky .. u suck a$$

george youd be heaps better .........................................................

Ok george if u want something done ... i will be at the next meet this weekend and i am more than happy 2 hear ur side of the story and i will take it up with the rest of the moderating team .....

on that note do u want me 2 bring ur stickers ? if u do pm me.

Just so this topic doesnt get out of hand and as ive given george the opportunity to take this issue up with a moderator im going to close this topic.