kicker speakerz

JJCRU23R

ok as you may or may not know already, i got a 8" kicker solobaric in my boot and im pretty damn happy with how it soundz.

i know many of you here wouldnt recommend using the same brand speakers all the way through your car, but since no1 has mentioned much about kicker speakers b4, i might as well pose this question to you.

i hear all this stuff in here bout MB, jl, mtx, clarion, alpine etc speakers as a replacement 4 the stock speakers, but what about kicker?

ive heard them in JBhifi and they sounded fine... but i think the guy serving me was trying 2 give me the hard sell... making my buy stuff i really wasnt even thinking about.

so in your opinion, how does the kicker speakers compare to the other brands?

quality stuff?

made from good/bad material?

why should i not buy em?

this comes down to presonal preference really.

if you feel the need the need to have kicker speakers thru and thru, do it. Just make sure the amp matches the speakers nicely

My personal preference was (and still is) Clarion / Kenwood for speakers, Kenwood / Clarion head-deck, Rockford / Kicker subs and Clarion amps

Wot i got is something slightly different

Kenwood KVT-747DVD head deck

2x 6" 120W Clarion Fronts

2x 6x9" 150W Clarion Rear

2x 12" 800W Rockford Fosgate Subs

4x100W Clarion Amp (cabin speakers)

555W Sony Amp (subs) Sony isn't my 1st preference by any means, but the price was good and it does the job.

my 2 cents

so the 6x9s fit underheith the stock grille on the rear door?

thats another question i been wanting 2 ask. if i got 6x9s or if i change the speakers on the doors at all, would i have a problem with them fitting behind the door panels or is that not a problem?

oh yea and where did you place your ampz pete?

Edited by JJCRU23R

Sorry Jase, I pride myself on knowing a little bot of everything, but I am soooooo outta touch withg speakers, I am going to have to sit back and read what every one else says for this one....

so the 6x9s fit underheith the stock grille on the rear door?

thats another question i been wanting 2 ask. if i got 6x9s or if i change the speakers on the doors at all, would i have a problem with them fitting behind the door panels or is that not a problem?

oh yea and where did you place your ampz pete?

1stly, i have a camry, so my rear speakers are in the rear parcel shelf :P

2ndly, My amps are on top of my sub box in the boot

DSC00012.jpg

6" splits will fit fine in a rolla doors. 6x9's are out pruely on size and shape

if you need a hand installing this stuff, drop us a line :D

Kicker speakers aren't exactly renowned for cutting edge speakers... not to metion they aren't cheap either.

I'm not particularly fond of their budget stuff. Their KS series ain't nothing special. Their RS and SS series however are a different story. But then again, everyone has different ears.

Be prepared to pay from $600-$1200 for them though. Having said that however, the build quality of there stuff is great and reliable. It is kicker we're talking about here.

6x9 ain't gonna fit in the factory position. If you want 6x9 speakers, then you need to make a custom rear parcel shelf like Danz has.

If you've auditioned them and you liked them and can afford them, I don't see anything stopping you from buying them.

1. Kicker are not fantastic. At anything. Good, but not great. Proof of that is their persistence to continue with square subs; though good in theory, the idea is flawed, and will remain flawed. Make a cylinder out of paper and a a rectangular prism out of paper, and tell me which will hold the most weight, then work it out. Kicker are still to try this. Anyway, I digress. Brands to go for are the ones SQ guys use; Rainbow, Morel, Dynaudio, Diamond, Boston etc etc. Expensive, but they're the absolute best you can get. Brands like Pioneer, JVC, Panasonic et al (I say this as the former owner of a JVC deck and current owner of a Pioneer deck), while not woeful, aren't ideal because the company has other interests outside of car audio. Their focus isn't in the car audio business.

2. Who brought up 6x9's? I mean, seriously. Why have 6x9's if you have a subwoofer? If you want a system on a budget then by all means go for it. But if you've lashed out on a sub/amp package why waste further money? To me, it makes no sense. I stand by my claim of 6x9's being a poor man's subwoofer; the extra cone area obviously delivers a bit more thump than a regular 5" or 6" woofer, but at the massive cost of sound clarity.

Continuing from this, why would you sacrifice said clarity/quality when you get enough bass from a subwoofer? Just because there's a 6" by 9" hole in a parcel shelf, doesn't mean it has to be filled. I'd rather a set of 5" 2-ways to fill the rear stage.

JJCRU23R, do yourself a big favour and save up $500 or so for the front stage; talk to some guys at www.fhrxstudios.com in SY and see what they have in stock. There are other shops I know in BN and ML if you're in a non-SY location.

Edit: spelling errors. :(

Edited by Nunga_08

i was only asking bout petes 6x9s out of curiosity.

yea im aware that 6x9s sorta negate the need 4 subz...

previously installed 2x sony xplod 6x9s in my old landcruiser... plenty of bass for the money i paid 4 it :)

i was looking in a caraudio place the other day (not sure which 1 coz theres at least 4-5 near my house that i regularly check out) and found SOUNDSTORM speakers... logo looked very similar 2 SOUNDSTREAM... had them confused!

thankx 4 ur input people!

will keep your thoughtz in mind next time i go audio shopping.

2. Who brought up 6x9's? I mean, seriously. Why have 6x9's if you have a subwoofer? If you want a system on a budget then by all means go for it. But if you've lashed out on a sub/amp package why waste further money? To me, it makes no sense. I stand by my claim of 6x9's being a poor man's subwoofer; the extra cone area obviously delivers a bit more thump than a regular 5" or 6" woofer, but at the massive cost of sound clarity.

in my case its because the chicken came before the egg (so to speak) I was slowly building up my car stereo and the budget only allowed for 6" fronts and 6x9" rears plus a head deck.

now that I've had some more $$ to buy stuff and mates getting rid of subs, I lashed out! there is nuffin wrong with 6x9's int eh rear. they prodive a great sound!

i think it comes down to wot you can best fits in yar, and wot doesn't require too cutting :P

In my case, I had to make a small timber platform for the 6" front and 6x9 rears. No holes in parcel shelf. In fact, I got the 6x9's under the toyota rear grill!

Quoted for emphasis.

Fair enough if you already had them in there and did a lot of work to put them in, or you started your system with 6x9's etc, but if you already have sub/s, there is no point in having 6x9" speakers. That's the point I was making more than anything else.

There is nothing inherently wrong with 6x9's, but I think there's a lot more right with more conventional coaxial speakers.

pretty sure kickers solobaric subs are the real deal.. wouldn't say that they are poorly designed at all or have mild chance of failure.. possibly the best sub in terms of SPL at the moment.. if you can show me a sub of a similar nature that is square do it.. the only thing that comes close is dd's and not even solobaric form.. dont get 6x9 unless you want rubbish sound.

JL all the way... sounds like i have a live orchestra in my car coupled when i had the dual kicker comp subs which have now been replaced with a previous years model pioneer SPL comp TSW1200f sub... drops nuts and hurts the spleen but remains clear

:clap:

pretty sure kickers solobaric subs are the real deal.. wouldn't say that they are poorly designed at all or have mild chance of failure.. possibly the best sub in terms of SPL at the moment.. if you can show me a sub of a similar nature that is square do it.. the only thing that comes close is dd's and not even solobaric form.. dont get 6x9 unless you want rubbish sound.

JL all the way... sounds like i have a live orchestra in my car coupled when i had the dual kicker comp subs which have now been replaced with a previous years model pioneer SPL comp TSW1200f sub... drops nuts and hurts the spleen but remains clear

live orchestra ay? i must say its difficult to really focus on the sound of the speakers in JBhifi considering all the background noise of people talking and moving round the store.. but yea im definately gona take another look.. when i got the cash of course..

im after sound quality, not after the loudest car in my street.

JL AUDIO FTW BRO!!! :)

JL AUDIO FTW BRO!!! :)

MB Quart front splits and Rockford Sub FTW!!! :yahoo:

• 6 years later...

Hi guys,

On the subject of rear parcel shelf speakers, does anyone know of any links that show how to remove the parcel shelf?

I'm about to undertake a full install including head unit, amp, rear speakers and sub.

I've just purchased a 2011 Camry Altise (July build) and I've managed to find youtube video's on everything except rear parcel shelf removal for my model.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pete