gear box dead

gday guys. well it finaly happened ive destroyed my gear box racing a new astra sri. one narsty crunch too many over the last 18months has left second gear in abit of a mess to the point that anything over 4,000rpm in first leaves second gear engagments very rough at 6,800rpm it just sounds narsty even if i grany shift waiting for the syncos to line up... they are destroyed. i live on sydneys north shore, can anyone recomend a good jap car gear box repairer? ive been told by my mechanic not to expect anything under 1000$.

if anyone has had any expereince in syd please post some web sites or phone number of palces u recomend or advise not to go to.

thanks alot

Edited by 6800rpm

i have the exact same problem cept my gearbox hasnt blow yet, but my clutch is starting to slip. yea i got a quote at chasers, they said if they JUST replace the syncro it would be around 500, but thats when i just had syncro problem but they said if its toally ****** expect around 1 - 2k.

well that sucks. yer i dont dead shift properly i do put my clutch in, but i smash it into second gear as hard as i possibly can, im surprised its lasted this long. 4th5th are fine, and i presume 1st is fine too. i dont supose u have the number for chasers do u? yer i got clutch problems too, :( im taking it easy atm.

thanks for the reply

Maybe try a second hand gearbox from the wreckers? Probably the cheaper auction and I'm sure they're not too hard to come by.

when i was looknig for a new engine i did come accross one gearbox 2nd hand, at the price they were asking you may as well get the kazz/c-one box...

I went through the same thing i crunched my gearbox when i first got it 1 :whistling: to many times to the point where i was driving on the freeway one night where u couldnt let go of the accelerator or it sounded like the gearbox was chewing on itself

But i bought a 2nd hand gearbox with 5k on it <_< or so they tell me :spiteful: but i dont care it was $400 and i installed a sports clutch in as well and i havent crunched a gear since that was about 2 months ago and as my mechanic told me that you almost will never find a gearbox with just 1 issue inside it if its stuffed it will be better getting a new one than having it opened up and looked at then pay for the parts and labour

I say get a 2nd hand one from a wrecker in the yellow pages i ran around for about half a day found an awesome deal and bought it

:toast: new gearboxes are cool :spiteful:

reconditioned gearboxes make u feel like someone didnt put a whole in ur pocket they stole ur pants :o

hehe well either way man good luck B)

depends on which corolla the thread starter is talking about? stivo is going to be expensive, standard rolla should be cheap.

when i was looknig for a new engine i did come accross one gearbox 2nd hand, at the price they were asking you may as well get the kazz/c-one box...

I've grinded a fair few times when racing, and now its becoming more often and i think my gearbox is on its way out too. Too many burnouts and launches. and my clutch is wearing too. its gay. I really should get a shortshifter. if you're gonna get a new gearbox, get a shortshifter as well. makes it less likely to align the stick up wrong and grind your gears.

:lol: "...THE TOOTHFAIRY IS GONNA BE BANKRUPT AFTER SEEING THIS GEARBOX" :(

I've grinded a fair few times when racing, and now its becoming more often and i think my gearbox is on its way out too. Too many burnouts and launches. and my clutch is wearing too. its gay. I really should get a shortshifter. if you're gonna get a new gearbox, get a shortshifter as well. makes it less likely to align the stick up wrong and grind your gears.

:lol: "...THE TOOTHFAIRY IS GONNA BE BANKRUPT AFTER SEEING THIS GEARBOX" :(

A shortshifter does not help with grinding gears. A shortshifter does make it easier to select the wrong gear.

First off, adjust the clutch properly so it's not dragging at high rpm... If it's dragging at all it will crunch, most of the time it will seem like a failed synchro.

Secondly, change the gear oil, if it truely is the synchro at fault then putting auto gearbox oil in the box will make shifts easier.

Thirdly, as 6800rpm has a C series 5-speed on an AE corolla, a secondhand box will cost about $150-300. Try and grab a C56 4age 20V 5-speed, they have slightly better synchro's and a nicer ratio on 3rd and 4th gear. If you're really lucky you might score a C56-04C which has LSD from factory.

thanks alot for all the reply, yer a year ago when i went looking for body parts i was told $150 for a second hand one. the only problem is that ill break that one and as we all know its not cheap to take the old one off and throw a new one on. on the other hand 150 box + 700$ clutch kit is still alot of money. maybe ill limit my agro gear changing ways;)

how can a 20V gear box fit onto my old 16v 7A-FE motor. wouldnt the gear box mountings be different?

thanks alot rollamods, ive got a mate whos an importer, so ill ask him if he can get me one from japan. is their any way i can double check id be pretty cut if i went to put it in and something didnt line up. thanks alot, my box is pretty dead atm and im planning on going to the track in the next month, in its current state ill be dead in the water.

most regular jap importers have C series boxes to suit A family blocks in stock.

And yes, it does fit. The most you would have to do is swap the speedo sender from your old box to the new box, a single 10mm bolt is all that holds the sender in.

The clutch is the same between the 20V and the 7afe.

silvabullit have u done this? or do u know someone who has done this. i found on another web site that a guy put one into a 82model rolla and he could not select reverse gear. is this likely to happen to me? and yer if i was so lucky to find a gear box with an lsd that would be mad.