Power Windows making a "clunk" sound

neK

My 2003 Conquest is starting to make rather loud "clunk" sounds when opening the driver side window.

Ive tested all the other windows and non of them make a sound that loud.

Sounds like its gotten looser over time (as the driver window does get opened more than the rest).

Is this a problem I should be worried of? Will Toyota actually look at it for me or will they tell me its normal and ignore me?

My 2003 Conquest is starting to make rather loud "clunk" sounds when opening the driver side window.

Sounds like its gotten looser over time (as the driver window does get opened more than the rest).

Is this a problem I should be worried of? Will Toyota actually look at it for me or will they tell me its normal and ignore me?

bra toyota should take a look for you,anything that makes a clunk aint healthy,Itll either be the regulator slipping or the motor attached,dont know if toyota sells them separately,might have to have a lil look see before doing the job,for now keep the window closed(tape ur window switch so u dont use it) & use ur a/c for now..

good luck

As you were saying, the driver window is prolly doing it cause it's used more. Mine is similar, although not quite as bad as yours....

I'd say, get down to Toyota

Have you taken apart the driver side door or anything to fiddle around with the acoustics? ... sometimes the sound deadening stuff might come loose?

Is the car still under warranty? ... might as well give that a shot?

Went to Ferguson Toyota @ Lakemba (i think its Ferguson, use to be clintons) to have the window checked out.

They had a look and agreed there was something wrong.

I was expecting to have to book an appointment and bring it back, however to my surprise they told me they would look at it today and get it fixed if possible.

Left the car with them @ 10am, got a call at 12:30pm saying it was fixed. :D

Turned out that the regulator or something was loose, so they just tightened it and its like new again. :D

Top notch service!

• 1 month later...

I kinda have the same problem with my 02 Conquest. Each time I go over a bump, my driver's window rattles/makes a small clunk noise. Is this normal to all power windows?

Well mine was only when you wind them up or down.

You sure you didnt leave a pen or screwdriver in your door pockets? :P

Get it checked out by your local toyota dealer, its probably something loose inside, they can tighten for you. Downside is that you may need to leave your car there for the day.

EDIT: Just realised yours is an 02 conquest, so warranty is finished... so they might charge you.

Edited by neK

If your window is half way wound down or all the way down, it will rattle around due to being loose inside the bailey channel rubber...

But yes, the window is held onto the regulator with two 10mm bolts and they'll come loose over time, it's normal and an easy fix...