d2's installed but have a problem

VVTLiR

Hey just installed my D2s. I adjusted it from the bottom and left the top uncompressed as it says in the D2 instructions so I wont wear out the shocks. I read through the forums and some1 mentioned that you should match the sway bar link distance with the the factory shock (about 130mm), however when this is done the car is not low enough (without compressing the spring), so I reduced the distance to about 110mm rather than compressing the spring from the top. It absolutely dumped my ride and it was all fine, but now raised it 5mm for practicality and started noticing a sqeezy rub noise. I inspected it and put it down to the sway link rubing against the bottom of my coilover at full lock (pic attached).

Now I dont want to compress the spring but looks like I'll have to if I match the sway link lengths. However, I'm not sure if this will fix anything since it will just push the bottom of the coilover towards the sway link. Does any1 here compress their springs? If so how long will the the shocks last? or am i better off buying shorter sway bar links?

Edited by VVTLiR

• 1 month later...

Thanks Vyets all fixed. For future refererence you have to move the sway bar link connection around the back rather than parallel with the wheel (the stock shocks are parallel).

I've got the same problem as you VVTLiR. Damn sway bar links!!! :angry: Me and blue_rolla had a hellish night, trying to figure out how to solve this problem. We've already put the connection around the back with no luck. The sway bar links have actually bent from the scrubbing against the bottom of the strut. Anybody please shed some light on my problem. Btw i'm running D2's aswell and was just wondering if it only happens to them???

Thanks Vyets all fixed. For future refererence you have to move the sway bar link connection around the back rather than parallel with the wheel (the stock shocks are parallel).

I've got the same problem as you VVTLiR. Damn sway bar links!!! :angry: Me and blue_rolla had a hellish night, trying to figure out how to solve this problem. We've already put the connection around the back with no luck. The sway bar links have actually bent from the scrubbing against the bottom of the strut. Anybody please shed some light on my problem. Btw i'm running D2's aswell and was just wondering if it only happens to them???

i was under the impression that you guys got it sorted in the end?

i was under the impression that you guys got it sorted in the end?

Yeah is it all good Andrew?

Corey your sig keeps teasing me. Mine will be sitting like that soon :P

Nah we didn't solve the problem. It was getting late and we were tired so we just reverted back to stock shocks. We had the swaybar sitting in the middle as you said Corey. but with still no luck. Then we put the swaybar to the lowest point and then the sway bar would hit the steering arms!! Do you think that having a aftermarket swaybar would be the problem. Coz i've got a front whiteline swaybar.

well i was having the problem with my D2s, and i just spent the night fixing it all up... i basically set the coilvers up exactly how the stock ones were and leaving the spring uncompressed... with those settings the front wheels sit almost parallel with the wheel arch the whole way round, which is fine by me..

it seems to go lower than that, you have to start compressing the springs to get the sway bar to stay in the right spot...

Nah you can go lower w/o compressign the spring and the sway links wont touch. Best way I found is to put it full lock to the one side, ajust the sway to fit that side, then full lock to the other side and sjust the sway links again and do that a few time till u get full locks w/o rubbing on one side or over extending on the other. Its a takes about 5-10min to get it right. Hope this helps.

Ok all is installed, but still having problems.

The swaybar linkages aren't rubbing or overextending but as i turn the steering wheel stationary or low speeds there is clicking metallic sounds.

Also a wierd sound is coming from my front left. If i press down on the left side of the car, the coilover makes a sqeaking noise. So everytime there is a bump in the road, which is like every second on Syd roads, there is a squeak. It's really ****** me off!! Anybody got suggestions?? I thought it was the spring that was loose, so i compressed the spring a bit more, but still having these problems.

Coilovers tend to have a lot of different problems and are not consistant with brands and circumstances. Its usaully just how it was set up. Easiest way I found was to rip em out, clean em, put em back in and hope for the best.

Ok all is installed, but still having problems.

The swaybar linkages aren't rubbing or overextending but as i turn the steering wheel stationary or low speeds there is clicking metallic sounds.

Also a wierd sound is coming from my front left. If i press down on the left side of the car, the coilover makes a sqeaking noise. So everytime there is a bump in the road, which is like every second on Syd roads, there is a squeak. It's really ****** me off!! Anybody got suggestions?? I thought it was the spring that was loose, so i compressed the spring a bit more, but still having these problems.

Probably grease the pillowball mount a little Andrew?