Broken car keys

neK

I was starting my car today, and when i turned the key, the stupid thing cracked.

brokenkey1is2.th.jpg brokenkey2xd8.th.jpg

Does anyone know if its covered under warranty or how much it will cost me to fix?

I know toyota charge heaps to replace the key with an integrated remote (i could of sworn someone told me $200+ , but ive got everything here and all i need replacing is the plastic cover bits, however one of the plastic bits is stuck with the key).

Ive got my spare key to use, but i would like to have another incase this happens again the future.

I wonder if i could argue that it is deemed to be defective and has not lived up to the standard usability period?

Edited by neK

Mate, there is a guy on ebay who can get you the key blank (housing and key blade section) for about $35 posted. I have used one myself and Mr Minit cut it for me and it is perfect. If he isn't around anymore let me know as I will have his details somewhere.

(My reason for replacement was more vain - the old one had a few scratches on it and I had only just bought my Sportivo and didn't want to be carting around an old looking key!)

:D Nothing like starting life in a new forum with a useful post! Happy new year!

I've recentely bought these to replace my broken key.

Good find, let us know how it fits, but looking at the pic, looks exactly the same as the original.

I fitted pretty good.. not as perfect as the originals..though.. but for $35 I cant complain..

Mate, there is a guy on ebay who can get you the key blank (housing and key blade section) for about $35 posted. I have used one myself and Mr Minit cut it for me and it is perfect. If he isn't around anymore let me know as I will have his details somewhere.

(My reason for replacement was more vain - the old one had a few scratches on it and I had only just bought my Sportivo and didn't want to be carting around an old looking key!)

:D Nothing like starting life in a new forum with a useful post! Happy new year!

Welcome!

My car only came with 1 key... :(

Ken you broke it 'cos you're such a beast in the gym and you're just TOO axe! Haha :lol: