enviro stuff

perthcamry

Just needed to vent about the environment vibe. Now I don’t care if your left wing right wing, rear wing or front spoiler but….. I think the light bulb idea for saving power is a bit silly for the following reasons

They wont fit down lights that I am aware of

It will cost more and therefore hit the student and lower paid workers

Some light fittings will not take compact fluorescents

While I think we should minimise our impact on the environment where we can with smart solutions I think this one is a bizarre one and not well thought out.

The fact that a Plasma TV uses about 200w more than and equivalent size LCD is a prime example of where we could encourage more economical models being bought.

There are plenty of other areas where more economical models could be encouraged and smarter ideas such as Air con at work that is not set too cold, more economical cars having tax breaks not 4x4’s. Maybe there is some nice GST to be collected.

Seems like no thought is really put into these things.

Anyway that is my view

I did agree with you and now I don't.

I have changed all my bulbs in my house to compact fluoro and can not be happier.

I have a lot of lights and the kids leave them on all the time.

The bulbs are more expensive but getting cheaper all the time to the point where you can now buy them at crazy clarks (junk style shop) pretty cheap.

With there long life and with the price of electricity going up they will pay for themselves quickly.

I put in 3 airconditioners (Panasonic inverters) and changed all the light bulbs - net effect no change in my electricity bill.

There are lots of new sizes now and you can get them for downlights (those that are not halogen).

Go to Bunnings and you can buy boxes or 4 or 10 energy savers for less than $1.50 per light. They are NOT expensive at all. They last 10 times longer than a conventional bulb so you are saving $1.20 per bulb for starters (worked at $0.30 a bulb for 10 bulbs) not to mention the savings on the bills you get from using 12 Watts instead of 60 Watts.

I agree and don't.

They don't cost too much more if you look around. They do come in all sorts of sizes to fit all fittings (except for low voltage, halogen lights).

But I agree with your point in that it's a little bit of a w@nk if they think that energy usage will drop dramatically if everyone switches. It won't, people need to look at everything they do at home/work etc, use less heating/airconditioning, use the clothes line instead of the drier bla bla bla.