Gear Selector Recall

Guys

i just spoke to Toyota service, They will not change my gear selector cables until they have taken it for a drive. I spoke to toyota australia and they said that there was a fix out for it.

The service guy bluntly refused to order the part for me. Have you guys had the same problem with them NOT wanting to order the part?? :angry:

As this is NOT a safety recall item, Toyota must deam your car to be one of those affected by the gear selector rattle issue for you to get the fix done, so this is why they must drive the car first, as with any warranty fix, to make sure it is a real issue... please do not confuse this with the ECU recall, and I know many of you would like to get the 2 done at the same time to save you some effort but it would be a logistical nightmare for Toyota for everyone to do this.

Remember that Toyota is the largest motor company in Australia and we are not the only people they serve. The ECU recall is already a huge logistic effort undertaken by Toyota and we should respect that these things do take time, money and a great deal of co-ordination and effort...

Hi NIKICH,

Blue_Sportivo_VVTLi is 100% correct about getting someone out in the car with you first before they will do the fix. i have had my car driven by the road tester twice, the service dept manager once and then by the local Toyota Aust Agent. Now this was a while ago and back then they were denying that it was a problem but now that it is a problem and they accept that it is then i think the road tester at the service dept of the dealership should be suffiecent enough.

And also to re-iterate. The gear selector cables rattles is NOT a recall item

unfortunatly you may have noticed by now that there is a slight communications problem between TMC Aus & the dealerships. If you dont really wana deal with it anymore ring TMC Aus cust care again & speak to the person whom you spoke to and tell them you want them to organise everything for you; ordering parts, getting them sent to the dealership, etc etc etc and tell them at which dealership you want to go to and at which time as you arent getting anywhere with it and tell them to call you back once its all organised to confirm with you.

I went to the dealer in my lunch break and took them for a drive......

His verdict was that the noise is more than likely not from the cables but from the exhaust. I said the noise starts at about 5K RPM and when u shift it goes away for the time that u are shifting then comes back. he said cause the engine is reving less, but he was shifting from 2nd to 3rd and was landing in lift and the noise was staying, i alerted him to that particular fact, he said i will order the part for u. It will take about 14 days to get the selector cable fix

Thats some good news for you Nikich... it is always best to go for the drive with them because you are the only one who knows exactly when the prob occurs and can show exactly. Hopefully it will be all fixed then.... ;) B)

I hope the fact that they blame it on the exhaust is not some way of taking attention away from the fact that there may be a fault with the the cables!!!

Just went to Toyota and asked about the cables. They still don;t know anything about the new fix for it. They won;t be ordering anything for me until they get a notice from Toyota about the new gear selector cables. :(

Got my car booked for next Thursday for the recall mods.

Ive booked my car in for Monday week at lander blacktown and told them about the gear selector cable noise and the customer service rep didnt make a fuss saying that theyll have a look at it at the same time as fixing the recall item