rev limiter still kickin in early

hi guys need help again

b4 i went to the ecu recall the rev limiter kicks in at about 8000rpm, some time 7800rpm, went to the ecu recall, so there should be a new ecu in my car, but rev limiter still kickin in at the same point!! the car is warmed up and everything, i thought the new ecu would solve this problem, hopefully they didnt just put some octane booster in instead of new ecu, what do ya guys think the problem is????

Go back to them and ask them

They will prolly tell you that you shouldn't be driving the car to 8000 but if it is not the same as when it went in then you should speak to them first....

Go back to them and ask them

They will prolly tell you that you shouldn't be driving the car to 8000 but if it is not the same as when it went in then you should speak to them first....

i had the same problem b4 i went to toyota, thats the bit that worries me, because some members on here had this problem and they solved it by resetting the ecu, and i went to toyota to replace my ecu with a new one by the ecu recall, and the same problem is still there, with a new ecu shouldnt it be 'starting fresh'?

hey sportivo,

I have also noticed that. It sometimes happens to myself, I have heard from a friend and it could quite possible be true that the guage cannot keep up with the engine. so the engine revs faster than the needle can keep up, some one please correct me if this is a load of rubbish..

Brandon

the rev limiter kicks in at about 8000rpm, some time 7800rpm

Mine has always cut in before 8000, I just assummed that it had something to do wih not every engine being identical. Got the 80k service this week I'd say, so will ask about it then, and let you know.

What does flashing the ECU accomplish?

mine was fine when i first got it cut out at 8200rpm, i didnt have heaps of petrol in once(it still goes but the light came on for a long time) ever since than it cuts out at 8000rpm, i thought a new ecu would of fix it, just strange to me that the memory from the old ecu is carried over to the new one....anyway i will try and reset it

hey sportivo,

I have also noticed that. It sometimes happens to myself, I have heard from a friend and it could quite possible be true that the guage cannot keep up with the engine. so the engine revs faster than the needle can keep up, some one please correct me if this is a load of rubbish..

Brandon

I dunno about that after watching the clips of the supercharged 2ZZ, man the guages move fast B)

My old Stivo used to sing happily to 8200 before the rev limiter came to the rescue, when I picked up my new stivo (last one stolen - see other thread!) I got a rude shock as the limiter kicked in at around 7800-7900! I was not a happy camper as the extra few revs makes a big difference in the shift to the next gear. I rung its little neck a little - put some petrol in and the rev limit increased? to just after 8000? Did an ECU reset and put in a full tank of 98 octane go juice and wham up to 8200! :yahoo: It could be that my prayers and dedications to the gods of LIFT have been answered or is it an ecu setting somehow linked to octane rating of the fuel or fuel quality (I sure it wasn't full of the good stuff when I got it). This would make sense if you are running a lower octane and higher revs that to avoid detonation (pinging) there was a restriction on the rev limit. Could this be the case?

no, because i always have 98 in, no matter what brand as long as its 98, similar thing happen to mine, it was cutting in at 7000rpm, and than 7600? and now 7800/7900rpm, some time 8000, some time 8200......anyway the car is waiting for me to reset it when i have time :)

my car has never failed to hit 8200

yep never fails to hit 8450 when requested :P :P :P :P

mine went to 9,000 every it was asked of.

until the hammy's cramped up and kicked themselves out of place right :P ..... be sure to stretch next time :P :P :P

i had this problem early doors when i first got my car. took it back to toota and they managed to fix it. however not long after that i had my car dyno'd at a melb meet dyno day. anyway i had the slowest sportivo on the day and didnt break the 98kw output when nearly all where over. anyway i cracked it and took it to toyota and explained that it wasnt putting out what it should be even though it had previously had the recall done. toyota tried to tell my that the car wasnt meant to be pushed to its limits and rev"d out. once i told them it wasnt from the way i drove it and that it was professionally dyno'd with a heap of other sportivos and when i told em what kw mine was putting out and what the average for most of the stivos on the day were putting out. they agreed to look at it properly and see what the issue was.

anyway they came to the conclusion that the ecu was faulty(they think?) and they replaced it free of charge.

i dont think they knew what was wrong at all and just replaced the ecu to see what would happen.

since it was replaced the car seems more responsive revs out properly and seems to have more power than it did prior.

however i havnt had it dyno'd since to make sure.

what im getting at is keep putting pressure on toyota and explain about others who have had these problems and what was done to fix em. sooner or later they will buckle and fix it properly.

toyota are just slack........

i had this problem early doors when i first got my car. took it back to toota and they managed to fix it. however not long after that i had my car dyno'd at a melb meet dyno day. anyway i had the slowest sportivo on the day and didnt break the 98kw output when nearly all where over. anyway i cracked it and took it to toyota and explained that it wasnt putting out what it should be even though it had previously had the recall done. toyota tried to tell my that the car wasnt meant to be pushed to its limits and rev"d out. once i told them it wasnt from the way i drove it and that it was professionally dyno'd with a heap of other sportivos and when i told em what kw mine was putting out and what the average for most of the stivos on the day were putting out. they agreed to look at it properly and see what the issue was.

anyway they came to the conclusion that the ecu was faulty(they think?) and they replaced it free of charge.

i dont think they knew what was wrong at all and just replaced the ecu to see what would happen.

since it was replaced the car seems more responsive revs out properly and seems to have more power than it did prior.

however i havnt had it dyno'd since to make sure.

what im getting at is keep putting pressure on toyota and explain about others who have had these problems and what was done to fix em. sooner or later they will buckle and fix it properly.

toyota are just slack........

this is what iam worry about, so u had the ecu recall done, and its still not making the power it should? could it be that the first ecu recall u had was fake and they didnt actually put the new ecu in and try to save money, because just seems strange that they put new ecu in mine and still have the old ecu's data on it....the first day i got my car back i did feel there was more power, but now its not much different to b4

My old Stivo used to sing happily to 8200 before the rev limiter came to the rescue, when I picked up my new stivo (last one stolen - see other thread!) I got a rude shock as the limiter kicked in at around 7800-7900! I was not a happy camper as the extra few revs makes a big difference in the shift to the next gear. I rung its little neck a little - put some petrol in and the rev limit increased? to just after 8000? Did an ECU reset and put in a full tank of 98 octane go juice and wham up to 8200! :yahoo: It could be that my prayers and dedications to the gods of LIFT have been answered or is it an ecu setting somehow linked to octane rating of the fuel or fuel quality (I sure it wasn't full of the good stuff when I got it). This would make sense if you are running a lower octane and higher revs that to avoid detonation (pinging) there was a restriction on the rev limit. Could this be the case?