Anyone tried Ethanol?

cssjamin

I noticed that the Aurion can use Ethanol as well.

Has anyone used it?

Does it affect performance?

Is ethanol cheaper than regular unleaded etc etc.

Be interested in your comments

Richard

used it once, and there a good reason I never went back. Car just doesn't perform with it in there. very sluggish take-offs and burns up faster. I got a full tank (72 litres) and barely got 550km out of my tank. no change in driving style and the aircon on most of the time. I can normally get an average of 600km per tank on normal unleaded and about 660km on 98

do the sums :D

slightly OT: my last tank of 98 (vortex) got me 750km, this did include over 550km of freeway driving

used it once, and there a good reason I never went back. Car just doesn't perform with it in there. very sluggish take-offs and burns up faster. I got a full tank (72 litres) and barely got 550km out of my tank. no change in driving style and the aircon on most of the time. I can normally get an average of 600km per tank on normal unleaded and about 660km on 98

Did you use Ethanol on Aurion or some other car ?

Did you use Ethanol on Aurion or some other car ?

my 96 camry V6

tried E10, E10 Premo and 98RON, the 98 is better

I'm confused (and slightly worried) with the fuel consumption of the Aurion... I've been averaging 13.7ltrs/100 (sourced. from the combimeter readout).

Is this a result of the fuel I'm using?? It will be something I'll be checking with the dealer service, this saturday, but I thought I'd ask the folks here.

Is it safe to mix fuel? Say I'm currently using 95RON, then decide I want to start using 98RON and fill up 3/4s empty.

I'm confused (and slightly worried) with the fuel consumption of the Aurion... I've been averaging 13.7ltrs/100 (sourced. from the combimeter readout).

Is this a result of the fuel I'm using?? It will be something I'll be checking with the dealer service, this saturday, but I thought I'd ask the folks here.

Is it safe to mix fuel? Say I'm currently using 95RON, then decide I want to start using 98RON and fill up 3/4s empty.

I use plain unleaded, my odo is almost 4000 km and I get a consistent fuel consumption range of 9.9 to 10.5 L/100km. My driving is mostly 75% city and 25% freeway.

I would be worried too by the consumption..

Like the previous writer, i average 10 - 10.4 per tank using unleaded, and also doing mainly city traffic.

My lowest was 7.8l/100km on a country trip which was all open road

Richard

damn it.. I'll definitely let Service know on this coming Monday (Saturday is fully booked for 3wks)...

13.7l/100km is based on 90% city & 10% M4

Hi,

Inside the Fuel cap my Aurion says (E10) and it runs OK, but do get better economy out to normal 95% Octane fuel where it was down to 7.6L/100km on a trip from Dubbo with the Shell stuff Unleaded.

Never got that with the the E10 fuel even though I still buy the E10 most weeks.

I'm going for a trip up north @ Easter, will try the 98% fuel & see how it goes.

Adrian

Does anyone think thye are going to get the 9.9l/100km claimed on the AS test in real world city driving in city like Sydney?

If your ave kmh is less than 40kmh you just can't do it.

Buy a Prius if its that important.

damn... no wonder.. my ave speed is about 35kmh..

oh well... anyway... i questioned the service person this morning about the thirst of the my aurion.. He said it isn't possible to drop to 10-11l/100km in the city, achievable in the country but not in the city... he added that it should drop down to about 12l/100km later (currently 13.8l/100km)

As mentioned, not all of us live in the city. I did for 10 years, the best thing I ever did was move out.

Can anyone tell us what the AS specs are based on ? I think it's 4 people driving up some gradient for X km's

Adrian

I thought I do some research how fuel consumption are tested... Australian Design Rule 81/01

"The UN ECE Type 1 test, now used to collect emissions and fuel consumption data on new cars in Australia (and Europe), consists of five simulated driving cycles over a total distance of 11.023km.

The urban (city) cycle takes 195 seconds. It's performed four times. It comprises 36.9 per cent of the total distance; the extra-urban (higway) cycle, which takes 400 seconds, is performed once. It comprises 63.1 per cent of the distance.

The single fuel consumption figure, displayed on the label, is determined by applying these distance percentages to the actual urban and extra urban consumption numbers and adding the two for a final average.

The fact that 63.1 per cent of the average is derived from the highway part of the test explains why the figure on the fuel consumption label bears little relationship to how much fuel your car will use in the city. It also explains why the gap between reality and laboratory numbers escalates in proportion to the size of the car and the capacity of its engine.

The NISE2 study test devised by the Transport Systems Centre of South Australia is also a laboratory test but it is based on an analysis of actual driving patterns in Australian cities, using a sample of 60 popular cars, GPS tracking of routes, speeds and traffic flows.

It's called the Australian petrol composite urban emissions drive cycle, or Petrol CUEDC. The test is a simulated 19.442km course and takes 29.95 minutes. Four types of conditions are simulated: residential, congested, arterial and freeway.

Theoretically, it is possible to tailor this test, using the GPS data, to provide specific speed, traffic, road and geography profiles for state capital cities, which would give different consumption rates for the same car in, say, Melbourne, where it's dead flat and they drive as if they're asleep and Sydney, which is relatively hilly and has only two types of drivers: predators and victims." - Liquid Assets (Drive.com.au)

The same information can also be found at Fuel Figures (NRMA Motoring & Services)

So there we go.. I didn't know that!

:blink:

I frequently drive my Avalon up and back to the QLD border from Richmond NSW and cruise within 10% of the speed limit ( an embarrassing lack of points ) and using 91RON get 820KMs or 7.9L/100km.

Keeping in mind only 1 reasonably hefty occupant and well over 100000 on the clock and total disregard to trip computer as it lies through its teeth...don't even talk about the " kms till empty" as I can get 100kms after that goes off also.

I am looking at getting a Aurion SX6 so am keen to get similar mileage and the extra horses will give the tyres some work...I can only assume the more efficient the powerplant the more power and hence better economy if driven accordingly.

post-1026-1176027449_thumb.jpg

iv used E5 for awhile until my fuel filter started to fall apart :help:

but on a older car but fuel filter was a fairly new aftermarket one