Kluger 80,000 km Service

PeterEC

PeterEC :mellow:

Hi everyone, I've just come on board with my Nov. 2007 model KXS Kluger KXS AWD. I've had it since new and will probably drive it into the ground. It's done 76,000 km now and still running like new. I had a bit of a shock recently however when I was informed by my Toyota Dealer that the cost of my next service would be $1350. After my initial reaction over the phone they decided to prune it down to $1150. When I asked what was involved that could come to a bill like that, I was informed that it was mainly due to the 'Inline Fuel Filter inside the fuel tank'.

The Service Manager informed me that unfortunately the filter cost $169.00 and several hours to replace. Plus other incidentals which I readily accepted. I couldn't get over how much a filter change would cost after only 80,000 km and stewed over it for a couple of hours or so, then rang another dealer with the same result. Still not convinced that this was right, I then went onto the internet and sourced the same information from American dealers. Surprise, Surprise, they didn't change over their inline fuel tank filter until the car reached 100,000 MILES!! And, 1 hour to replace the filter. I didn't ask the price of the filter.

I love my car but the Australian Toyota Distributors seem to be doing an 'Ikea' on us. I rang my dealership back and explained what I had done on the internet. Their reply was that 'it's different in America'. When I asked what was different when it's the same car and similar country, they could not respond except to say 'it's different in australia'. Well yes it certainly is, isn't it!

I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone down this path because this was the first new car in 30 years for me and for all I know, all our new car buyers these days may be copping a similar hiding. Won't stop me buying a new Toyota when the time is right but they can forget their service schedules. What's good enough for the Yanks is good enough for me and a lot cheaper.

Still a satisfied customer after all of that.

Hi peter, welcome to the forum mate.

$1350 sounds a bit steep to me for a 80000km service, even $1150 sounds pretty pricey, however I was told the 80000km service is a exspensive, its a major service . I also own a 2007 kxs kluger, I bought mine second hand with 80000km, so when I took delevery,I made the dealer throw in the 80000km service in the price. Mate Im not sure sure about in tank fuel filter, the only thing I can think of why in america there changing there fuel filters at100000 miles and here in australia we are changing them at 80000km is there fuel Is a diferent standards to ours here In australia, mate thats only just a guess.

Mate if have any questons regarding service costs or anything else, come and join us over on the kluger forum , there should be a few owners that have had a 80000km service and may know about you queston about In tank fuel filter.

Once again welcome mate to the club.

Hi David,

Thanks for your response. What you suggest is possible I guess but I would not like to think our fuel is dirty compared to theirs, but then who knows? That's something no one here in the fuel industry is ever likely to admit to. You're right about getting this into the Kluger forum and I wasn't aware it existed until after I joined yesterday. I'll post the same message again there and see what happens.

It's good to talk to like minded car owners and get feedback.

Thanks again David.

The approximate Service cost for 2007-2009 Kluger AWD (Guideline Only)

1,000km/1 mth Vehicle Inspec

1 h - 0.00 - 0.00*

10,000km/6 mth Serv

2 h - 206.00 - 290.00*

20,000km/1yr Serv

2 h - 228.00 - 319.00*

30,000km/1.5yr Serv

2 h - 217.00 - 304.00*

40,000km/2yr Serv

3 h - 421.00 - 550.00*

50,000km/2.5yr Serv

2 h - 206.00 - 290.00*

60,000km/3yr Serv

2 h - 228.00 - 319.00*

70,000km/3.5yr Serv

2 h - 206.00 - 290.00*

80,000km/4yr Serv

6 h - 906.00 - 1136.00*

90,000km/4.5yr Serv

2 h - 318.00 - 411.00*

100,000km/5yr Serv

4 h - 677.00 - 848.00*

110,000km/5.5yr Serv

2 h - 206.00 - 290.00*

120,000km/6yr Serv

3 h - 421.00 - 550.00*

130,000km/6.5yr Serv

2 h - 206.00 - 290.00*

140,000km/7yr Serv

2 h - 228.00 - 319.00*

150,000km/7.5yr Serv

2 h - 217.00 - 304.00*

160,000km/8yr Serv

6 h - 1031.00 - 1278.00*

170,000km/8.5yr Serv

2 h - 206.00 - 290.00*

180,000km/9yr Serv

2 h - 329.00 - 425.00*

190,000km/9.5yr Serv

2 h - 206.00 - 290.00*

200,000km/10yr Serv

4 h - 771.00 - 950.00*

Thanks ron.

Thats the sort of information I was after, It give me and other kluger owners a rough Idea how much each of our services will cost.

thanks again ron your a champion. :)

Yeah thanks Ron. That information is very handy and I'm sure nearly all Klugerites will benefit from it. I get the feeling that you guys may be very knowledgeable about this forum business and as I'm new to it, is there some way to transfer these posts over to the Kluger forum so I can correct my initial mistake in posting here.

I feel a bit of an idiot reposting the same thing again.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, just had my 80km service done on my 09 grande awd. Cost me $493. Thought that was cheap with all the comments on the forum, so ask the service manager why. His response was that the fuel filter didn't have to be done until 90km, so I was happy I can spread the cost to the next service, seeing it should be a small one.

• 2 weeks later...

That is cheap for a 80000km service, but Im pretty sure that the fuel filter has to be replaced at 80000kms and the sparkplugs aswell, dont quote me on this, the reason why the 80000kms service costs so much is the fuel filter is in the bottom of the fuel tank and its abugger to get it out to change and the sparkplugs to replaced adds a fair bit to the bill, personally I would check with another dealer and see what gets done in a 80000kms service, check your service and see whats required at each service intervals, some dealers defenatly charge more than others to, so ring around and you will know wear you stand, sorry mate im not raining on your parade, im just curious :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi jonathan,$800 inc gst is pretty good for a geniune 80000km service, one forum member on this topic was quoted $1350 which is steep in any ones book, I was quoted nearly a $1000 for a 80000km service, so I think getting quoted $800 for a 80000km is exellent, I was lucky my kluger had 80000kms on it when I bought it so I made the dealer do the 80000km service before I took delivery , saved me having to fork out that kind of money.

What a RIP OFF!

Buy your own parts on line, plugs, filters, oil! and do it yourself!

Benefits?

No apprentice butchering your pride and joy!

The job will get done right!

You wont have sub standard oils used in your vehicle lol!

These cars are too easy to work on, and stuff all needs to be done to them honestly. Madness to go to a dealer and get analy abused like this.

These cars are too easy to work on, and stuff all needs to be done to them honestly.

Do you service your own cars? if so, can you make a video the next time you service your car and post it up here to show us how easy it is :D

These cars are too easy to work on, and stuff all needs to be done to them honestly.

Do you service your own cars? if so, can you make a video the next time you service your car and post it up here to show us how easy it is :D

Yes ever since I was 18 years old I serviced everyone of my cars, I learned off my father who said he got ripped back in the 1970's from dealers to serivce his cars and I remember when I was a kid him buying basic maintenance books and teaching himself how to do these things back then.

So our whole family has NEVER paid anyone to service any car, from Jaguars to 100 series turbo Diesle Landcruisers and every car imaginable in between, mechnics is not hard, start off with some basic tools and some enthusiams and anyone I repeat anyone can do this for them selves.

it is amazing how much money people waste on getting 16 year old apprentice mechanics to butcher cars and be charged hundreds of dollars an hour for the "expertise" LOL

For modern cars it is even easier. I bought my own Toyota Intelligent tester unit IT2 from a China company which allows all factory resets and scans to be performed, so there is nothing you cannot do from your own back yard (this tool from Denso is $7000, but from China who make it for Denso LOL is uner $600! shipped to your door.) It is not madatory, but there is nothing you cannot do yourself, it has never ever been easier to find your own faults, isolate the problem, source the parts from overseas at far less costs than a local rip of Australian stealership and use premium parts, premium fluids and do a 100% adult personal care job that only yourself can do................ and all in the comfort of your own home with very basic tools. And do it right and have full faith in the job done, no one will take the time like you your self will, no one will ever do as good a job as you yourself, and that is a fact.

I teach automotive apprentices by the way :) as a full time job, so I see the **** that goes on, and we teach factory or stealership mechanics lol........... I would never ever trust any of them with my own car, or a poor ***** fully qualified one who hates life being paid $24 dollars an hour, while his work is being charged out at $85 to $150 dollars an hours depending on your location (country or city) the apprentice who is actually doing your oil and lube changes or major services is only working for $15 an hour and still getting billed out that the same outrageuos hourlt rates on your service bills LOL.....

Do it yourself ;) its not hard and it will save you a metic shed load of money.

These engines are much easier than many others too.

No timing belts to change!

No valve adjustments to be done!

No high tension leads ever to be changed!

Very very simple engines, and as good as maintenance free as you can get.

Set of sprak plugs @ 100,000km

Fuel filter @ 100,000km

and simply consumables (like brake pads) etc between, oil filters, air filters and token stuff at 10,000km oil change intervals, it just does not get any simpler or cheaper really............. great motor, and very very simple.

Next servie I do to my FJ Crusier (due in 4000km) I'll document the procedure for those interested and post it up here, pics, parts, cost, tools required etc.

There is of course some stuff you need to get, but just like my father did in the 1970's I remember him buying his first basic tool kit! which he still has! and you do not need that many tools really, especially for a Japanes car. Sure doing major repairs like an engine or a gearbox rebuild you need special tools etc, but servicing is dead easy and the investment in parts/tools is well worth it and the self satisfaction and quality control you have as you are doing the work is priceless.

Honestly recommend it to anyone who is not mildly retarded or a couch potate IT worker or Reality TV fan, if you are a real man you will service your own cars ;)

Hi Peter, what about the warranty if anything goes wrong?

Zero, there is NOTHING that states you cannot service your own vehilce, if it was so then many garages could not service your cars as they are letting un trained apprentices actually do the work in the majority, Toyota for example in many stealerships are allowing first year apprentices to do your car and learn as they go along and make mistakes on your $50k+ cars ;) I could share stoires with you where 100k Landcrusers engines have been destroyed through sump plugs not being tightened................... IMHO fill out your own service book, make your own stamp fill out the checkk points and No one will ever cast doubt on where you got it serviced, in reality if you do it then it will be to a far higher standard than letting some failed school kid rookie learn on your car at the stealership ;)

Stealerships make their money from servicing, using slave apprentice labor and inferior consumable parts and fluids, you are a mug if you let a "workshop" ream you for a service @ the end of the day.

What a RIP OFF!

Benefits?

These cars are too easy to work on, and stuff all needs to be done to them honestly. Madness to go to a dealer and get analy abused like this.

Hi Peter, sounds like you are an expert when it comes to servicing cars. How hard is it to change the oil and filter of Kluger? Do you need special tools for these?

What a RIP OFF!

Benefits?

Hi Peter, sounds like you are an expert when it comes to servicing cars. How hard is it to change the oil and filter of Kluger? Do you need special tools for these?

Super easy,

You only need one special tool to undo the oil filter cartridge, you can buy it from the spares department at Toyota or on line (just google it or ebay it). I bought mine on E-Bay.

You need this special tool, if you try to undo it with stilseners like some "authorized service agents" you will break the plastic body like I saw on a 200 series land cruiser that dumper all its oil and cost the owner $8500 in repairs!.

Its a pleasure to change the oil on the Kluger, once learnt you will never ever send it to the stealership again :)