Presara Fuel consumption

Hey guys,

Just curious as to what other Presara owners fuel consumption has been?

I've only done about 1500ks but the fuel consumption is fantastic at 8.4L per 100km.

I'm not sure if it will get better or worse but I would have thought that it would get better as

the engine wears in. Anyway, just interested in how everyone else's Presara is performing?

My Presara's done about 5,000 kms now. Fuel consumption varies with driving conditions (as expected). However, under some conditions (mix of freeway and traffic) it averages about the same as yours. If it's mostly freeway, it will get even lower, whereas if it's mostly city traffic it will get into the 9's.

Interestingly I've been keeping a log of what fuel I used and how far it took me. Firstly, note that each time the low-fuel gauge came on, I often drive to range being 0 kms. When I refill, I note that there is usually still 5-10L in the tank. So despite only having done 550kms when refilling, I could easily have driven for another 50-80kms without refilling ... but who wants to take that risk? Secondly, despite only having refilled about 7 times since new, there is clear evidence that higher octane fuel drives me further. I've mostly used Caltex-98. On the two occasions where I used standard Caltex-92, there was ~40kms less travel when the range got to 0 kms.

Rough calculations are: 92-octane only takes me 92.6% of the distance 98-octane does. The Octane ratio is ~93.88, so they're pretty well matched (within 1.5%). Given that 92 fuel usually costs around 93% compared to the 98 fuel, extra price versus extra distance travelled is pretty damn close. You pay more for the 98 fuel, it takes you further, but per km the cost is roughly the same.

... at least its what I've found based on my logs to date.

My Presara's done about 5,000 kms now. Fuel consumption varies with driving conditions (as expected). However, under some conditions (mix of freeway and traffic) it averages about the same as yours. If it's mostly freeway, it will get even lower, whereas if it's mostly city traffic it will get into the 9's.

Interestingly I've been keeping a log of what fuel I used and how far it took me. Firstly, note that each time the low-fuel gauge came on, I often drive to range being 0 kms. When I refill, I note that there is usually still 5-10L in the tank. So despite only having done 550kms when refilling, I could easily have driven for another 50-80kms without refilling ... but who wants to take that risk? Secondly, despite only having refilled about 7 times since new, there is clear evidence that higher octane fuel drives me further. I've mostly used Caltex-98. On the two occasions where I used standard Caltex-92, there was ~40kms less travel when the range got to 0 kms.

Rough calculations are: 92-octane only takes me 92.6% of the distance 98-octane does. The Octane ratio is ~93.88, so they're pretty well matched (within 1.5%). Given that 92 fuel usually costs around 93% compared to the 98 fuel, extra price versus extra distance travelled is pretty damn close. You pay more for the 98 fuel, it takes you further, but per km the cost is roughly the same.

... at least its what I've found based on my logs to date.

Thanks for the reply.

You've obviously spent a lot of time monitoring and checking fuel consumption. It is great to hear from such a consciences owner/driver, you have not only answer my first question but also what was going to be my next question in regards to fuel types. I guess the next question raised is whether of not the the 98-octane fuel has other benefits that justifies the extra price beit that the fuel consumption versus price is fairly comparable. Is it better for the engine? Cleaner etc? I will have to have a look into this.

Thanks for the information.

Hey guys,

Just curious as to what other Presara owners fuel consumption has been?

I've only done about 1500ks but the fuel consumption is fantastic at 8.4L per 100km.

I'm not sure if it will get better or worse but I would have thought that it would get better as

the engine wears in. Anyway, just interested in how everyone else's Presara is performing?

The best I have seen on the trip computer was 6.9l/100. It happened between Armidale and Toowoomba on the Presaras trip home from Windsor Toyota in NSW. (I wish I had taken a picture) I had picked it up the afternoon before, so the car would only have had 800 km on the dial at that point. There are a few big hills on that stretch so I was pretty impressed.

I haven't seen that number since but low 7's appear occasionally and low to mid 8's are common. Mostly highway driving.

All in all I am very pleased with the economy and love my new Presara

Cheers

I too remember some ridiculously low consumption reading when driving the car home from the dealer on the freeway. I'm sure that if you are driving along a freeway, stop, refil, and get straight back on the freeway the consumption will mostly likely read 7.x, or lower initially with good driving conditions.

In terms of the fuel types, I like to stay away from the ones that have "substitutes" like ethanol. However, we probably aren't always aware of the ethanol content. Aurion should be ok up to 10% Ethanol (hence the E-10 sticker near the petrol cap). The more expensive fuels are cleaner perhaps while also containing some beneficial additives. I think the additives will be different between say Caltex and Shell. I vaguelly remember someone else in another thread confirming this as well. Might be a personal preference between Caltex and Shell (or others). For me the choice is made purely by the fact that I have about 4 Caltex options close to home while only 1 Shell option. I will try Shell as well at some point and compare range (based on stats) and feel (based on perception).

Yes, I too am very happy with the Presara, a great package that would easily cost over $100k if it had a german badge (... unless it was VW). Or perhaps a Lexus badge. By the way, I recently saw a Lexus GS400? on the road that looked remarkably similar to the Presara. The 300 range is the popular one on the streets (a little smaller) which doesn't look anything like the aurion, but I was surprised by the similarities to the 400 range.

Edited by riftime

I too remember some ridiculously low consumption reading when driving the car home from the dealer on the freeway. I'm sure that if you are driving along a freeway, stop, refil, and get straight back on the freeway the consumption will mostly likely read 7.x, or lower initially with good driving conditions.

In terms of the fuel types, I like to stay away from the ones that have "substitutes" like ethanol. However, we probably aren't always aware of the ethanol content. Aurion should be ok up to 10% Ethanol (hence the E-10 sticker near the petrol cap). The more expensive fuels are cleaner perhaps while also containing some beneficial additives. I think the additives will be different between say Caltex and Shell. I vaguelly remember someone else in another thread confirming this as well. Might be a personal preference between Caltex and Shell (or others). For me the choice is made purely by the fact that I have about 4 Caltex options close to home while only 1 Shell option. I will try Shell as well at some point and compare range (based on stats) and feel (based on perception).

Yes, I too am very happy with the Presara, a great package that would easily cost over $100k if it had a german badge (... unless it was VW). Or perhaps a Lexus badge. By the way, I recently saw a Lexus GS400? on the road that looked remarkably similar to the Presara. The 300 range is the popular one on the streets (a little smaller) which doesn't look anything like the aurion, but I was surprised by the similarities to the 400 range.

Hi All,

I can say I'm pretty new for this forum...since I'm probably will get my Sportivo ZR6 today...I'm just wondering will there be any difference for fuel consumption for ZR6 and Presara, looking from all your thread it seems that Presara have lower average...hehehe...But I guess it depends on what fuel you are using and how you drive the car and where you drive.

I'm actually planning to fill my ZR6 with V-Power (Shell) unfortunately it is out of stock at the moment. So I'm wondering whether Caltex/Mobil/BP is better? Couple of my friends told me V-Power is better than the Mobil one....any idea?

Thanks before. !!

Well the fuel consumption varies a bit depending on what i am doing and where. over the last few fills this is what I have been getting in L/100km 9.22, 10.86, 14.46, 9.96, 13.11, 13.54, 12.37, 9.52, 14.29.

Hi all...

oh well..11 months with Aurion and only 14,000 km so far....might reach the 15,000 km on anniversary at the end of this month.

when shopping for a car we see and hear all sorts of publicity which is after all is What we want to hear and see regardless if they really provide.

new engin tech ..new low fuel consumption ..etc when i first refuled my Aurion the digital meter gaived me above 600 km for the 70L tank said to my self..WAW ... better than my Sentia which is a 1992 929 Mazda ( 70L tank with 450 km range before the fuel LED starts blinking = 20 L left ) .

Second time i refuled my Aurion i did a simple calculation and used the old fashion formula ( (now subtract then ) i came out with the result = same as befor 450 km until fuel led blinks...)

Nothing changed same route diffrent cars 15 years apart they said NEW tech blah blah blah...at the end it was same old result ... 450 km before you start looking for the nearest fuel station.

14,000 km and yet the 450 km is my mark to refuel

i only keep track of my fuel consumption and km range to spot a proplem when it occures...

I just got my car yesterday and I will empty the tank first and refuel it with Vortex 98 probably as V-Power is out of stock now.

And I will post some thread regarding on my 1st refuel tank and see how it goes.

I know we can't expect too much, since it's V6 and it's 3,500 cc =D So yeah...

But I love the car !!

I just got my car yesterday and I will empty the tank first and refuel it with Vortex 98 probably as V-Power is out of stock now.

But I love the car !!

We have posted many comments (including my numbers) in this thread: http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=14292

I have not updated my worksheet from early this year because I have to use public transport to go to work now. Only short trips from home to railway station & back daily, I think my car consumes more petrol now.

BH