Toyota Corolla (New model) "Recall"

Just yesterday I recieved a letter from Toyota. States that my Corolla conquest (Sept 07) may need the front left drive shaft replaced as it is not up to spec and may lack durability long term (said something along the lines of that anyway).

But this has not been listed on http://www.recalls.gov.au/ . So is it a proper recall or what? My car has to be inspected (30 mins work) and then IF it needs replacing it will take 3 hours (but has to be done on a seperate day!).

Was a bit of a suprise to me, I thought the recall would have been for the Aurion!

Anyone else recieve this letter?

Just yesterday I recieved a letter from Toyota. States that my Corolla conquest (Sept 07) may need the front left drive shaft replaced as it is not up to spec and may lack durability long term (said something along the lines of that anyway).

But this has not been listed on http://www.recalls.gov.au/ . So is it a proper recall or what? My car has to be inspected (30 mins work) and then IF it needs replacing it will take 3 hours (but has to be done on a seperate day!).

Was a bit of a suprise to me, I thought the recall would have been for the Aurion!

Anyone else recieve this letter?

Toyota is the most overly cautious Auto Manufacturer on the planet... 3/4 of toyota recalls are due to Toyota's own decision, and rarely do major issues go to an official recall... ie: 4 week hold/recall on Rav4 V6 for "ECU Re-tuning", 2 weeks hold/stop on TD Land Cruiser on week of release because of "fuel quality problems", and don't forget the absolute balls up of TRD Aurion Release - over 2 months of complete Stop Sell because ONE, thats right, one and one only, engine stuffed up and turned out it was a driver error issue....

;) More than likely your rolla is all good and they are just chekcing to make sure. Beats hell out of waiting for your vehicle and 50 other to stuff up, warranting complaints to dealers, customer serivce, insurance claims and THEN Toyota doing an "enforced" recall ;)

Have a great day! :)

It's not a recall! Read the letter again, and then tell me where you see the word "recall"? It's a Customer Satisfaction Exercise, relating to durability of the driveshaft. It's not a safety item, hence it's not classified as a recall.

Edited by pinzvidz

i have conquest sedan from that time period also....

i haven't received any letter...i am slightly worried, but i'll check with toyota dealer when i drop my car in for service in 2000km's.

There is nothing to be worried about with this exercise...

If your shaft is from the listed dates then at worst, there will be a slight noise, nothing to worry about and nothing at all to make the car unsafe so there is no urgency...