My dash rattle finally fixed

mpresara

Ok, after 5 visits to the Service Dept and a new dash from Japan, my car went in again yesterday and finally came out fixed. Toyota Tech in Melbourne got them to open up the cover under the bonnet where the wipers are. There was a loose cover over the mechanism that had the bolts only hand tightened when it was built. The cover was rattling and the noise transferring through the firewall and into the dash. Apparently it's happened before which is why Melbourne suggested checking it out.

Big thanks to Sharron and Rod at Peter Warren Toyota Service in Liverpool. They really were great in there persevering with my problem...

The one I had sounded as if it was coming from the dash cluster. If your dealer are worth their salaries they will know about the issue straight away and know the fix. My dealer didnt even ask me to prove the rattle, they seemed to know what the problem was immediately.

What sort of rattle is it? Can you describe it and under what conditions it happens etc. ?

I wonder if it would be the same rattle that I have on mine that nobody can find, and I can't easily reproduce...

Apart from the creaks and squeaks, I had a sound that came on during higher interior temperatures that sounded like a bolt bobbying around in a plastic mug. Turned out to be a faulty beam that everything under the dash is bolted to. It has a telescopic section where the inner rattled against outer wall. What is your rattle sound like?

What sort of rattle is it? Can you describe it and under what conditions it happens etc. ?

I wonder if it would be the same rattle that I have on mine that nobody can find, and I can't easily reproduce...

To me it sounded like a creaking sound coming from the left hand side of the dash sort of just below the windscreen and in about 80mm from the tweeter. happened on normal roads at sort of 40-60k speeds and particularly bad on chipseal or older corrugated roads. everyone, including Toyota, thought it was a dash noise. If this sounds like yours, then get them to go under the bonnet and get into the wiper mechanism area. Good Luck! I know how frustrating it is

Edited by mpresara

To me it sounded like a creaking sound coming from the left hand side of the dash sort of just below the windscreen and in about 80mm from the tweeter. happened on normal roads at sort of 40-60k speeds and particularly bad on chipseal or older corrugated roads. everyone, including Toyota, thought it was a dash noise. If this sounds like yours, then get them to go under the bonnet and get into the wiper mechanism area. Good Luck! I know how frustrating it is

I have this rattle too... I always thought it was just one of the vents that came loose as a result of having the windscreen replaced (that is when all the rattles started in mine!). Will have that checked out next service I think, which will probably be in the next few weeks anyways since its due.

Apart from the creaks and squeaks, I had a sound that came on during higher interior temperatures that sounded like a bolt bobbying around in a plastic mug. Turned out to be a faulty beam that everything under the dash is bolted to. It has a telescopic section where the inner rattled against outer wall. What is your rattle sound like?

Mine sounds rather similar, but has a more "metallic" ring to it and only occurs after the car has been idling for approx 30 seconds. I have a suspicion it is a cover from something, because if I travel over a fairly sharp bump at slow speed I can hear the rattle occur momentarily. It only comes back randomly however, which is rather frustrating to diagnose - but more often in hot weather, or after a half hour of fairly steady driving. Load has minimal effect on it, or so it seems.

I had a look for that beam, but I think I may have to start pulling many things apart to check it, so I will just ask the service guys to take a look when it is serviced. I have a list of things they need to check during the service... just another item to add!

Mine sounds rather similar, but has a more "metallic" ring to it and only occurs after the car has been idling for approx 30 seconds. I have a suspicion it is a cover from something, because if I travel over a fairly sharp bump at slow speed I can hear the rattle occur momentarily. It only comes back randomly however, which is rather frustrating to diagnose - but more often in hot weather, or after a half hour of fairly steady driving. Load has minimal effect on it, or so it seems.

I had a look for that beam, but I think I may have to start pulling many things apart to check it, so I will just ask the service guys to take a look when it is serviced. I have a list of things they need to check during the service... just another item to add!

My noise was metalic but muffled by all the things attached to the main beam, that's why I say it's like a bolt in plastic mug. Also, because the beam is hollow, the sound travels all the way through it. The rattle was actually starting behind the instument panel but I thought it was more closer to behind the radio towards passenger side. I could always reproduce the sound by leaving my car out in the sun,(help expand the outer part of telescopic beam) then driving on grass at say 15kmph. The grass is bumpy and you don't hear road noise. Try a vacant block of land or a park/oval, it's great for rattles!

Edited by julian040859

Oh that sounds like mine. I just realised it a couple of days ago. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side underneath the wiper somewhere near the tweeter. So it's under the bonnet where the problem lies?

I also have the creaking dash lol. have to get both fixed when i bring it in for service next time.

So for the cause of the creaking and rattling, we so far have:

a ) The beam behind the dash - causing metallic rattle in a plastic mug sound

b ) Rattle from wiper mechanism - causes general rattle from passenger side of car

c ) General dash rattles

Obviously the first one is quite major to replace, but are there any particular "kits" or such that we should mention to Toyota if they don't know what to do about the rattles?

Edited by dave262

So for the cause of the creaking and rattling, we so far have:

a ) The beam behind the dash - causing metallic rattle in a plastic mug sound

b ) Rattle from wiper mechanism - causes general rattle from passenger side of car

c ) General dash rattles

Obviously the first one is quite major to replace, but are there any particular "kits" or such that we should mention to Toyota if they don't know what to do about the rattles?

I have attached a copy of the beam they replaced in my Prodigy, the rattle was in the section just to the right of the radio mount. I've also had two kits installed for the general squeaks and creaks plus a new centre vent to stop the a/c "leaf" sound. I reckon I now have the quietest Aurion dash in Australia! Your dealership would know of the dash rattle kits and centre vent replacement as they are both very common. To my knowledge no one else has had the same problem with the beam that was replaced on mine.

post-6135-1226490587_thumb.jpg

Edited by julian040859