Gear shifter rough changes?

Hey guys,

as you all know, i had recently had my car serviced, and asked Toyota to fix this problem... well, it didn't fix it to my liking, so here is my problem:

when i am sitting at traffic lights waiting, i leave it in N. when i change the shifter to 1st gear, it feels 'rough' and sort of like there isn't any lubrication in the gears, same with 2nd to 3rd etc... i have had the gearbox oil changed... but i think its to do with the pivot ball joint underneath the interior. What i want to know is can i smoothen the gears shifting back and forth and how do i do this/ what do you think i need to re-lubricate it?

Thanks guys :D

Evo

oh... your car's auto..........

Evan's got a manual.

You said they didn't fix it to your liking. Is it currently the same, better, or worse than before you dropped it in? What kind of feeling is it like? Is it something you can narrow down to the shifter or the gearbox? If it's the shifter pivot joint or something like that, you should be able to feel it out of whack by changing through the gears with the engine off.

oh... your car's auto..........

Evan's got a manual.

You said they didn't fix it to your liking. Is it currently the same, better, or worse than before you dropped it in? What kind of feeling is it like? Is it something you can narrow down to the shifter or the gearbox? If it's the shifter pivot joint or something like that, you should be able to feel it out of whack by changing through the gears with the engine off.

Yes, it is easily noticable with the car off... so i am pretty sure its underneath the centre console bit, where the pivot ball is...

it doesn't 'glide' sort of roughish...

and BKS, my car is a manual lol :lol:

So what should i put in it to try and smoothen it out?

Evo

I'd be looking at removing the centre trim so you can get nice and close to the mechanism itself so you can visually inspect it to see if anything seems out of place. If you can't see anything broken or getting in the way, you can try to spray some lithium grease into the moving parts of the joint.

Depending on your available time, if it were me, I'd be taking the whole shifter assembly out and dismantling it, then cleaning it, then lubing it up and putting it back in. Sometimes visually inspecting things don't reveal any broken bits, but when you take it apart, if something falls off that shouldn't, then you can usually identify the problem.

I'd be looking at removing the centre trim so you can get nice and close to the mechanism itself so you can visually inspect it to see if anything seems out of place. If you can't see anything broken or getting in the way, you can try to spray some lithium grease into the moving parts of the joint.

Depending on your available time, if it were me, I'd be taking the whole shifter assembly out and dismantling it, then cleaning it, then lubing it up and putting it back in. Sometimes visually inspecting things don't reveal any broken bits, but when you take it apart, if something falls off that shouldn't, then you can usually identify the problem.

nothing like having a well lubed shifter.... haha.

Also, something else to check would be the linkages between the shifter itself and the gearbox.

hey Evo,,

i think i have the same problem as you do.. mostly happens in first 3 gears like you said..

does your gearbox make a squeaky sound??

The gearbox doesn't really make a sound... but i have nice and squeaky clutch pedal... and it drives me nuts <_<

i will go out to the car and have a look, and post some pics to support what i mean...

Evo

hey Evo,,

i think i have the same problem as you do.. mostly happens in first 3 gears like you said..

The gearbox doesn't really make a sound... but i have nice and squeaky clutch pedal... and it drives me nuts <_<

i will go out to the car and have a look, and post some pics to support what i mean...

Evo

i had a detailed look without pulling the shifter assembly out, and its something thats inside the shifter... the cables seem to be fine, and i did it slowly to see if it may be the gearbox, but thats fine as well...i will be pulling it apart and giving it a good clean. what grease do i use for the shifter? i would prefer to shorten the stick too, its sooo long :P

anyone know how i could DIY the shifter to be shorter?

Many thanks for the helps guys :D

Evo

hey Evo,,

Evo

i had a detailed look without pulling the shifter assembly out, and its something thats inside the shifter... the cables seem to be fine, and i did it slowly to see if it may be the gearbox, but thats fine as well...i will be pulling it apart and giving it a good clean. what grease do i use for the shifter? i would prefer to shorten the stick too, its sooo long :P

anyone know how i could DIY the shifter to be shorter?

Many thanks for the helps guys :D

Evo

you could cut the top part of the shifter, but this isnt really going to do ***** to improve shift throw... maybe buy a short shift kit?

Edited by mick.wheelz

wil, depending on the kms of the car and its enviroment. hate to say it... worn syncros esp if its first second third gears