Replace parcel shelf

DJKOR

Okay, now to me this thread feels a little pointless, but nevertheless, I wouldn't mind some suggestions or new ideas.

Now I have a ported subwoofer and it can push quite a bit of air (with the ski hatch open you can still feel air 'blowing' through the tiny holes where the child restraints are). As a result, this causes quite a few rattles here an there, mostly all isolated to the parcel shelf.

So I got bored all of a sudden and felt like pulling out my parcel shelf to remove the 2.5kg of sound deadener I put in there which only marginally reduced some rattles.

While it was out (as per photo below), I decided to try and put my music up loud to see if I could find any more rattles. To my surprise, I could put it up even louder than before, and not get a single rattle inside now. It even seemed to have a bit more kick than before. So it appears to me that the rattle was isolated to mainly the plastic parcel shelf itself, and maybe way way it all joined up.

This is where I got my next idea from. Since I don't want to Dynamat anything (I want no more extra weight), I was thinking of what way I could go about fixing the parcel shelf. I thought maybe making a new one out of MDF, but I don't know if that's really going to solve my problem, and it will probably add weight. I was thinking about maybe even removing it all together and putting something else at the back like a carpet material or similar. It's not like I need a solid parcel shelf there as nothing goes up the back. Another thing I was thinking of is maybe stretching a speaker cloth like material over the back somehow so that everything underneath is all hidden. The problem then comes of how I would attach that, especially to the area under the window.

Any idea on what alternatives that I can do, or maybe any part experience. No parcel shelf seems like a pretty good solution, but it doesn't look the best.

dsc04206m.jpg

Okay, now to me this thread feels a little pointless, but nevertheless, I wouldn't mind some suggestions or new ideas.

Now I have a ported subwoofer and it can push quite a bit of air (with the ski hatch open you can still feel air 'blowing' through the tiny holes where the child restraints are). As a result, this causes quite a few rattles here an there, mostly all isolated to the parcel shelf.

So I got bored all of a sudden and felt like pulling out my parcel shelf to remove the 2.5kg of sound deadener I put in there which only marginally reduced some rattles.

While it was out (as per photo below), I decided to try and put my music up loud to see if I could find any more rattles. To my surprise, I could put it up even louder than before, and not get a single rattle inside now. It even seemed to have a bit more kick than before. So it appears to me that the rattle was isolated to mainly the plastic parcel shelf itself, and maybe way way it all joined up.

This is where I got my next idea from. Since I don't want to Dynamat anything (I want no more extra weight), I was thinking of what way I could go about fixing the parcel shelf. I thought maybe making a new one out of MDF, but I don't know if that's really going to solve my problem, and it will probably add weight. I was thinking about maybe even removing it all together and putting something else at the back like a carpet material or similar. It's not like I need a solid parcel shelf there as nothing goes up the back. Another thing I was thinking of is maybe stretching a speaker cloth like material over the back somehow so that everything underneath is all hidden. The problem then comes of how I would attach that, especially to the area under the window.

Any idea on what alternatives that I can do, or maybe any part experience. No parcel shelf seems like a pretty good solution, but it doesn't look the best.

dsc04206m.jpg

I think the idea of speaker cloth is a good idea, maybe something can be fabricated to resemble the part of the rear shelf that sits against the window and attaches to the car (similar to a boot cover in subaru wagons). The cloth would be attached to the rear part and maybe a fabricated part for the front of the shelf or just tucked in behind the seat.

Just an idea, I'm sure you will get some more soon.

I think the idea of speaker cloth is a good idea, maybe something can be fabricated to resemble the part of the rear shelf that sits against the window and attaches to the car (similar to a boot cover in subaru wagons). The cloth would be attached to the rear part and maybe a fabricated part for the front of the shelf or just tucked in behind the seat.

Just an idea, I'm sure you will get some more soon.

I like your thinking. That was kind of along the lines of what I just thought of as I stared at it longer an longer. I was thinking if I could maybe find a parcel shelf from the wreckers and cut the back and front parts of the parcel shelf just so they can clip in, and then use the speaker cloth to go between, kind of like a painting on a canvas, minus to parts of the frame. This way, the cloth will sit elevated so that it clears the speakers and any other things there that protrude. Plus it gives a solid structure around where the seatbelt guides originally are.

The sides can be rough since the C-Pillar garnish will cover it. Hmmm.

How much is a new parcel shelf?

maybe it's just this one thats got a rattle,would be nice to know if it's ya audio or just the parcelshelf thats the problem...

the only reason i've mentioned this Daryl is mine is rattle free with my system banging away,i just went and gave it a pump for ya and heard no rattles or plastic creeking noises at all.

hmmmm not to sure mate,good luck with this one i'm sure you will work it out. :)

djkor

you have 1/4 mile fever. everyone gets it pushing for faster and faster times.

just take the 2.5kg and the couple of kilos for dynomat and put it in.

like will be a lot better for you. 5kg on a car that weight 1600kg, i mean, that's 1/4 of 1%, track temp can make 10 times more difference than that

whitestivo

How much is a new parcel shelf?

I don't really want to know.

maybe it's just this one thats got a rattle,would be nice to know if it's ya audio or just the parcelshelf thats the problem...

the only reason i've mentioned this Daryl is mine is rattle free with my system banging away,i just went and gave it a pump for ya and heard no rattles or plastic creeking noises at all.

You do have a little bit of sound deadening on the underside of your parcel shelf though. On top of that, your sub doesn't utilise much of the boot, mainly just the air in front of it and out of the ski hatch. My sub on the other hand is not only ported, so it's be pushing twice as much air as a sealed sub, but it is located in a position that utilises the whole boot space to build up it's bass waves. Every panel gets a beating, and the parcel shelf (as in the plastic that sits over the frame) is the most noticeable inside the car. Like I live for the bass. If I don't feel it shake me inside, it's just not enough for me.

I don't think any amount of Dynamat is going to stop this much vibration coming though:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!
you have 1/4 mile fever. everyone gets it pushing for faster and faster times.

just take the 2.5kg and the couple of kilos for dynomat and put it in.

like will be a lot better for you. 5kg on a car that weight 1600kg, i mean, that's 1/4 of 1%, track temp can make 10 times more difference than that

LOL. I got a bit carried away with that I think. I guess I can look at it from the other perspective and that is that with the parcel shelf out and the previous sound matting removed, my bass actually went up a notch.

On a side note, I'm still taking an in depth look at my car cause I really feel like taking some more weight out. I guess every kg will add up. Okay, now I'm definitely obsessed with this whole weight reduction crap.

Hahaha that bottle on the parcelshelf is gold so freakin mesmerizing :blink: ...gunna try that see how much bounce i get,half filled bottle of water...what size bottle?

p.s i love it,just watched it again,should do one with heaps more bass... ;)

Hahaha that bottle on the parcelshelf is gold so freakin mesmerizing :blink: ...gunna try that see how much bounce i get,half filled bottle of water...what size bottle?

That was like a 500mL bottle. I couldn't put the bass up any louder because it was making the garage door behind my car vibrate and rattle pretty badly. The neighbours dogs weren't too happy either. Bass seems to pick up more as well with at least some window down, but that wasn't going to happen at this time of the evening.

I'll try again tomorrow. Just remember though, I can only go so loud. My amp only pushes out 300W versus your 800W monoblock.

P.S. If you want to see how much bass you're pushing, I've got a few selected tracks here that I like for such purposes. Just watch your ears on the first couple cause the mids and highs are pretty powerful as well.

Solee - Impressed (very trippy to listen to this song)

Alex Guesta - Just Let It Play (it starts at 2 minutes, bass is REALLY low)

Dubfire - Roadkill

Time to shake that parcel shelf.

DJKOR, you are unleashing a gremlin here

I remember pulling my tools, wheels, headrests, seats, water bottle, the works out. Once you start removing door trim, you've probably gone to far.

If you go sub 14, that will be legendary. What are you tyres like for launching right now?

Now you know why Gav and I keep our 16's and run 55 tyres, all about performance

whitestivo

DJKOR, you are unleashing a gremlin here

I remember pulling my tools, wheels, headrests, seats, water bottle, the works out. Once you start removing door trim, you've probably gone to far.

If you go sub 14, that will be legendary. What are you tyres like for launching right now?

Now you know why Gav and I keep our 16's and run 55 tyres, all about performance

whitestivo

I guess the way I put it, if I remove 'un-necessary' weight, I guess there is only something to gain. As longs as I don't go overboard, I guess there is no harm.

Rowan and I are both aiming to go sub 14. It's more for the fact that we can say it can be done, since a lot of the Aurion's we see doing the 1/4 mile end up around mid 14 or higher. I'm aiming to make mine so that it can do sub 14 and all I need to do is remove my sub and spare. Once the car does that, I'll be hitting up QR, with the car in daily driver state (minus only the sub), and will be getting some times.

I'm considering going tomorrow to the drags but not sure if it would be worth it. My tires are not far from their treadwear indicators. I've heard because it is less blocky that it would be better for grip, but wouldn't that also mean that there is less compound remaining in the tire that provides that grip? I guess there would be no harm in trying tomorrow. I'll just drop the pressure at the front as necessary.

I have been tempted so many times to 'upgrade' my rims to 18 or 19 inch, but I keep telling myself that it's not worth it, and the tires just seem to double in price by going up just 2 inches. At least with the 17's, performance tires can be had for under $250 a corner. Considering I wore through my current set of Adrenalins in under 20,000km, I would be kidding myself to 'upgrade' to 19 inch where I need to pay $450 a corner.

amen to that

i think the standard wheels on the sportivo are one of the best looking wheels out there, and the tyres are good price. look at 313, massive compromise on rubber for 20"rims. but that's what he's after.

i can tell you that tread is so important, and theré's nothing worse then spinning your way to nothing, especially in FWD

new tyres no, but 5000km in, that is the perfect time. you may also want to consider the weight shift of your car off the line, and whether more weight can be put over your front wheels - somebody on forum help me with that...

my adrenalines are starting to grip much better after 1500kms already, much better than when new

whitestivo

Edited by whitestivo

That was like a 500mL bottle. I couldn't put the bass up any louder because it was making the garage door behind my car vibrate and rattle pretty badly. The neighbours dogs weren't too happy either. Bass seems to pick up more as well with at least some window down, but that wasn't going to happen at this time of the evening.

I'll try again tomorrow. Just remember though, I can only go so loud. My amp only pushes out 300W versus your 800W monoblock.

P.S. If you want to see how much bass you're pushing, I've got a few selected tracks here that I like for such purposes. Just watch your ears on the first couple cause the mids and highs are pretty powerful as well.

Solee - Impressed (very trippy to listen to this song)

Alex Guesta - Just Let It Play (it starts at 2 minutes, bass is REALLY low)

Dubfire - Roadkill

Time to shake that parcel shelf.

The new 1500watt Rockford Fosgate mono block goes in on thursday so i will prolly do a Db test then...almost everythings run in so i will be able to pump it a bit and hopefully get a stout reading. :unsure:

that track Impressed (Solee) is trippy i love it,thanks for that mate,will sound a treat in my car when played loud... :yahoo:

p.s i will sell ya my Clarion 800w mono $200 you pay postage... :whistling:

that track Impressed (Solee) is trippy i love it,thanks for that mate,will sound a treat in my car when played loud... :yahoo:

It's a good track isn't it. I just love the 'waviness' of it.

p.s i will sell ya my Clarion 800w mono $200 you pay postage... :whistling:

That is beyond tempting, but my current sub is only 400W RMS. That means I would then need a new sub. On top of that, adding more power is just going to rattle my car to pieces. Sound deadening to reduce all that is WAY out of my intended path. Thanks for the offer though.

Doesn't feel so good when things sound like this:

Yep that some serious vibration going on there... :(

No probs on the amp,i will post (for sale) all my old audio bits & pieces,if anythings left,once my mate has had his fill. B)

and that track Impressed sounds farking great up loud,just went and got milk for the missus and put it on in the car...all i need now is a 500ml 1/2 filled bottle of water.., :lol:

and as for getting those rattles/vibrations reduced on a light weight scale maybe look at Balsawood or dense foam behind the panels,i'm running out of ideas without using weighty products.. :unsure:

Far out... didn't realise the Aurions could even rattle that much! Sounds like somebody trying to cut a piece of wood with a handsaw or something...

Great tracks btw - haven't got a sub in the car, but the current HT sub I have (actually just a woofer really!) did the job fairly well - just couldn't do much for the really deep notes of the second track. Got a real HT sub on order arriving in like a day though, which I will have to test out once it is run in hehehe.

On the parcel shelf, have you simply tried adding some foam tape between all the surfaces in contact?

Wow Daryl, your car's rattle is quite bad..

That's what powerful bass can do. MTX didn't name the sub+enclosure 'Sledgehammer' for no reason. Bear in mind though that the volume inside is to the level where you will need to scream to a passenger next to you, and even still they won't understand you. I do drive with it at that level quite often believe it or not. I don't even think my gain is set to the correct level either. I reckon that it can go up another notch, but I'm not risking it without an oscilloscope.

Yep that some serious vibration going on there... :(

... and as for getting those rattles/vibrations reduced on a light weight scale maybe look at Balsawood or dense foam behind the panels,i'm running out of ideas without using weighty products.. :unsure:

Yeah mate. Just a stock Aurion with the added extra of an MTX Sledgehammer. Goes to show how well everything is put together.

I guess you can't win 'em all. If you want bass and no rattles, you'll need to add weight. That's not really what I want to do, so it's going to be a compromise that I need to make.

The rattles on the outside though don't overly concern me. It's just the rattles inside, and it mainly is isolated to that parcel shelf.

On the parcel shelf, have you simply tried adding some foam tape between all the surfaces in contact?

Tried that before. I think what's happening here is that the plastic itself is the cause of the noise. It's not due to being in contact with another surface, but because the bass gets transferred to it and it vibrates. Padding in between or not, the sound waves still hit it. I think the parcel shelf needs to go.

Gotta love bass. Even with the boot open, it sends vibrations through surrounding items. And no, it's not the sub rattling. I gave up on the videos after this one; I could see a few of my neighbours walk outside to see what was going on:

LOL. I think this is a sign.

TOYOTA AURION SPORTIVO PARCEL SHELF

Hey Daryl,those parcelshelfs are cheap enough...maybe buy a couple and experiment,ya can spray one on the underside with that stonechip/sound deadner spray (used on the inner guards for noise & stones on cars without splasheilds) build up the thickness and weight ya need and maybe some o'rings or seals on the mounting clips...

Daryl,as i now have the dreaded parcelshelf rattle/vibration also,was wondering if you had come up with any ideas yet. :(

p.s i'm on the verge of removing the bloody thing...

I have had no other ideas except to remove the entire thing. I think becasue the plastic is light and over a large area, it creates it's own noise when the bass hits it. When I put mine back in, I experimented with the clips by wrapping them in felt tape and covering any contacting edges with the same. The parcel shelf still rattles.

I was just thinking of getting some speaker carpet and laying it down in place instead. It will at least stay in its place and will allow you to easily make cutouts for where the seat belt comes through and the baby seat anchors.

I just need to get the patience to get to it. I've got so many things I'm trying to sort out with my car at the moment.

daryl, once you go to the track, you won't even care.

what about dialling the bass down, or is that cardinal sin?>

I will always care about my bass. It's just not the same when there is a buzzing going on at the back while trying to enjoy the beat.

Turning the bass down is just not an option. It's like saying if your car has the ability to go 0-60 really quick but has traction issues, do you just settle for what the available traction limits you to, or do you improve the traction.

Speaking of traction, new tires are in order for this week so with some careful driving, I should be all set (minus suspension... that's another story) for September.

Thanks Daryl,i might go and see an auto/motor trimmer today and see what he thinks can be done... :unsure:

And Whitestivo as for dialling the bass down the answer to that would be...NO!!!!,and yes it is a cardinal sin to turn things down,it's well known the Audio Gods frown upon this and most likely will punish those who do. :P